The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 July 2020, 02:11 AM   #31
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I understand the it being to large for some people. But there regardless does seem to be a popularity with this model.

Probably the least favorites of Sea dwellers? I just do not like a cyclops so, go big or go home....

Minus size what is that you do not like about the ref 116660?

Please play nice, but be honest.
The original model fit horribly and was misproportoned. The redesign is great.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 04:02 AM   #32
DiamondSt
Banned

It’s the only real novelty of the last twenty years. Many blue D's are waiting for a new owners because the bet has not been won,few pieces in blacks. The 116660 design is better than the new 126660 ( big bracelet ) In the future the black 116660 of the 2008 M serie and the last series of 2018 rare will be increasingly difficult to buy them because they already cost a lot. Exclusive and unfashionable watch... Better Black dial old reference 116660
DiamondSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 04:55 AM   #33
doramas
Banned

Because it's like a heavy rock
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 07:02 AM   #34
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I’m a big fan of the 116660 but too big for me. The newer model is better though as the wider strap gives it a more balanced look.

I have the 116600 as it fits me better, but if I had bigger wrists, I’d go 116660.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 7.25 wrist. Hope it will not be too big. What size wrist do you have?

Thanks.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 07:03 AM   #35
Judge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Because it's like a heavy rock
Nice I'll drop some weight off the weight belt then!
Old 6 July 2020, 07:48 AM   #36
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
My son has one, its almost as great as my JC Deep Blue version.
Old 6 July 2020, 12:51 PM   #37
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
One thing that makes any of the Seadwellers better than the newer Submariners is the bracelet lugs were never thickened on the SD's. The new subs are too square looking. I would buy an older model Sub with the thinner lugs but not a new one. SD's have a better shape, even if they are a bigger watch.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 12:54 PM   #38
Judge
Banned

I look at the 116660 as the most technologically advanced Rolex the layperson can obtain, on top of being a beast, hence the 666.
Old 6 July 2020, 12:58 PM   #39
Hugo_Weaving
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610V
I think the ref 116660 is a beautiful watch, however some do see the cyclops and Rolex as synonymous so a watch without it definitely stands apart from others in the collection, for both Good and Bad.
Hugo_Weaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 04:27 PM   #40
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a 7.25 wrist. Hope it will not be too big. What size wrist do you have?

Thanks.

Only 6.5

It will be fine on you.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 05:00 PM   #41
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I don’t really understand the folk suggesting that the Sea Dweller is less popular than some other references because the sub has a better history.

Firstly, 99.9% of buyers don’t give a stuff about history when it comes to making a watch purchase. In the same way that people shouldn’t be fooled by popular opinion according to Twitter, people shouldn’t be fooled by popular opinion according to a watch forum, it is not representative of the masses. By our own admission, most in here are watch nerds.

Secondly, the Se Dweller started life as a Submariner Sea Dweller so it has every bit as much right to claim lineage to the original as a modern Submariner. It would be different if the modern sub looked like the original (in the same way that an AP15202 looks pretty much like an AP5402) but it doesn’t.

Thirdly, there is a strong case to argue that the Sea Dweller has a better history. It has the Submariner lineage whilst also adding the Comex link.

The fact of the matter is that the Deep Sea is too large for a lot of people and more expensive than a Sub, so the target market is much smaller. It’s a niche watch.

As for the very unpopular 116600, my theory is that this was simply down to the price. To the average buyer (and actually, even to many on here) the 116600 looks very similar to the 116610 and a lot of people either couldn’t afford the £1,200 premium or couldn’t justify spending the extra cash when the watches looked so similar.

As for those that say the Sub is iconic, maybe that’s true but I’m not entirely convinced. When I think of an iconic Rolex I tend to think of the Day-Date. When I think of an iconic sports watch I think of the Royal Oak. What I tend to think of the Sub, is that it is a bit too common (arguably another word for popular of course!) and the watch that is bought by folk who want a Rolex.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2020, 09:18 PM   #42
Judge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I don’t really understand the folk suggesting that the Sea Dweller is less popular than some other references because the sub has a better history.

Firstly, 99.9% of buyers don’t give a stuff about history when it comes to making a watch purchase. In the same way that people shouldn’t be fooled by popular opinion according to Twitter, people shouldn’t be fooled by popular opinion according to a watch forum, it is not representative of the masses. By our own admission, most in here are watch nerds.

Secondly, the Se Dweller started life as a Submariner Sea Dweller so it has every bit as much right to claim lineage to the original as a modern Submariner. It would be different if the modern sub looked like the original (in the same way that an AP15202 looks pretty much like an AP5402) but it doesn’t.

Thirdly, there is a strong case to argue that the Sea Dweller has a better history. It has the Submariner lineage whilst also adding the Comex link.

The fact of the matter is that the Deep Sea is too large for a lot of people and more expensive than a Sub, so the target market is much smaller. It’s a niche watch.

As for the very unpopular 116600, my theory is that this was simply down to the price. To the average buyer (and actually, even to many on here) the 116600 looks very similar to the 116610 and a lot of people either couldn’t afford the £1,200 premium or couldn’t justify spending the extra cash when the watches looked so similar.

As for those that say the Sub is iconic, maybe that’s true but I’m not entirely convinced. When I think of an iconic Rolex I tend to think of the Day-Date. When I think of an iconic sports watch I think of the Royal Oak. What I tend to think of the Sub, is that it is a bit too common (arguably another word for popular of course!) and the watch that is bought by folk who want a Rolex.

Very well said and insightful, Thank you! I agree with this assessment.