The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 August 2020, 09:27 AM   #1
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on YG DD40 dials

Howdy. I have now had a few Rolex watches, and learned everything I know about them from this website. Thanks to everyone.

Long story short:
From day one my only goal was a Day Date. I ended up selling the few I acquired, which I never thought I would, but had a few issues, and well...whatever.

So, I am now getting close to going for it. For the one and only. Nearing 50 years old, and ready to get it and keep it.

I default to the YG with black dial. I wish there was a basic black dial as I am concerned the diagonal motif may be overwhelming (although it is beautiful). The diamond baguette dial has a basic black face and is a front runner, but, now I have diamonds that I was not necessarily seeking.

Yes, the other options are so nice, and I am open to champagne, silver, and the gold diagonal (yep).

So... what are your thoughts on the YG with black dial?

I am a professional, slacks and nice shirt daily, and suit/tie on occasion for work.

This watch will be worn all day, everyday.

Thanks folks.
2807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:32 AM   #2
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Really can’t go wrong in my opinion. I originally wanted the white roman dial, ended up buying one with a champagne baton dial with a view to changing it to the white roman, then kept it as it is.

My next watch was a dd40 again, white gold meteorite.

And honestly they are so much for the money, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:38 AM   #3
peterpl
Banned

If you want clarity to read nothing will beat the crisp white dial. I loved the Motif Dial and in person its even more beautiful. In saying that I also really like the black baguettes.

The best thing is you can change the dial when you want anyway so just buy whatever sings to you now and if you decide to change it a few years down the track you can.

One thing to consider is lume. If you really like lume or need it then the only options is stick dials and in that case the diagonal motif is a no brainer.

peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:42 AM   #4
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I bought a white with romans and couldn’t be happier but the black dial with baguettes is sure tempting!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 10:08 AM   #5
"TRF" Member

Thanks folks! Keep the opinions coming. I sure appreciate it.
Lume is not an issue for me, but that is true, you do have to consider that too.
I do love the bold and simple—black with baguettes.
It’s likely the winner.

I have some funds coming that I intended to use for this.
But, arrggg... I’m tempted to reach in the piggy bank and buy sooner, and just repay myself with the funds.

But, that’s always a trap. I know better.
This website does not help!
Old 25 August 2020, 10:25 AM   #6
shirtguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub-c Date
Buy the white dial its crisp
shirtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 10:45 AM   #7
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
I have a black diamond 36 Day Date and love it. When I decided to grab a black diamond 40, the wife kinda talked me out of it and she was right. So glad I went with a different dial 40. It took a lot of AD visits in New York to try and compare side by side, and none of the big boys had a great selection at any given time. Thrilled with my choice, actually like it better then my black dial, it has more life to it, always bright, the most contrast, and the romans just pop like sculptures! Good luck to you, don't pull the trigger until you can see it on your wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMALL DAY DATE .jpg (141.4 KB, 311 views)
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 11:21 AM   #8
"TRF" Member

OP here.

I do love the romans. I bought a silly gold with black dial cheap watch on Amazon just to see if I liked the look. The minute I put it on, I was sold.

I’ve done that for a few. I have quite a collection of “samples” that are actually quite nice and capable of telling me if I’m comfortable with the look. It’s fun. Amazon has some solid options if you wish to “try” options.

My test run is black with romans. Sadly, not an option now for a new DD40. And, I am certain I want new for this piece.

Ok, keep the opinions coming. Hoping for some real life pictures/experience with the black diagonal motif dial. It is beautiful, I just don’t want it to define the watch and be the epitome of the experience (like a meteorite or a MOP). They are awesome, but I’m looking for more bold and simple. Hence the trepidation of the diagonal.

Onward !
Old 25 August 2020, 11:23 AM   #9
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

go with the black baguette dial. the baguettes are subtle but give it a lot more character and sparkle
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 11:38 AM   #10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
go with the black baguette dial. the baguettes are subtle but give it a lot more character and sparkle
I like you.

I do like the bold baguette look on the black dial, and no lume on the hands or around the baguettes is a very simple and strong look.

Well.
I think I’m done here.
Old 25 August 2020, 11:59 AM   #11
David5807
"TRF" Member

I say buy it OP.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 08:11 PM   #12
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Aussies View Post
I have a black diamond 36 Day Date and love it. When I decided to grab a black diamond 40, the wife kinda talked me out of it and she was right. So glad I went with a different dial 40. It took a lot of AD visits in New York to try and compare side by side, and none of the big boys had a great selection at any given time. Thrilled with my choice, actually like it better then my black dial, it has more life to it, always bright, the most contrast, and the romans just pop like sculptures! Good luck to you, don't pull the trigger until you can see it on your wrist.
100% agree Randy
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:46 PM   #13
Snake Plissken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I think you have good taste OP. The black sunray dial with baguettes is my favorite and I hope that will be my next Rolex too!

Also I saw one with the diagonal black dial with sticks yesterday and it's really a lot more subtle than the pictures look online. You have to look quite closely to notice the pattern. I think you wouldn't find it overwhelming.
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 10:05 PM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2807 View Post
Howdy. I have now had a few Rolex watches, and learned everything I know about them from this website. Thanks to everyone.

Long story short:
From day one my only goal was a Day Date. I ended up selling the few I acquired, which I never thought I would, but had a few issues, and well...whatever.

So, I am now getting close to going for it. For the one and only. Nearing 50 years old, and ready to get it and keep it.

I default to the YG with black dial. I wish there was a basic black dial as I am concerned the diagonal motif may be overwhelming (although it is beautiful). The diamond baguette dial has a basic black face and is a front runner, but, now I have diamonds that I was not necessarily seeking.

Yes, the other options are so nice, and I am open to champagne, silver, and the gold diagonal (yep).

So... what are your thoughts on the YG with black dial?

I am a professional, slacks and nice shirt daily, and suit/tie on occasion for work.

This watch will be worn all day, everyday.

Thanks folks.

I bought a YG DD40 few years back and it comes with the black motif dial. I swap it for a white roman numerals and couldn't be happier. The indices really pop.

You can read about it here : https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=698589

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 26 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #15
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I had the same confusion at first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 228238aa.jpg (128.8 KB, 138 views)
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 01:33 AM   #16
challer
"TRF" Member

White with sticks and lume or baguettes. Gold on gold never. Black with sticks a distant second.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 02:20 AM   #17
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

I like the gold dial or the silver dial , especially with the romans. Just stunning
Rochester585 is offline   Reply With Quote