The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2020, 01:03 AM   #1
DebbieB
"TRF" Member

Icon16 Conversion

I am completely new to Rolex watches and only been able to admire them from afar. This week I bought one on line in an auction. I chose it because I loved the look of it. Now that I’ve jumped in with both feet I’m worried about my purchase. The watch is a ladies Justdate 26mm model on watch is 69174. It has a factory fitted diamond dial but an after set diamond bezel. The original yellow gold fluted bezel is in the box. The watch is dated 1985. My worry is the bracelet. Apparently it should be stainless steel and white gold for a 69174 but it’s stainless steel and yellow gold...which was fitted to the 69173. I’ve since been told that this is considered a ‘conversion’ and worth much less than I paid, despite all parts being genuine Rolex. Have I been scammed??
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 01:24 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Do you like the watch and enjoy wearing it?

Any product is worth what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. For somebody else to proclaim that something is worth "far less" should be able to back such a statement up with facts, diagrams, figures...

Conversions are pretty common in the world of Rolex.

A 69174 came with a stainless steel bracelet, not white gold. The only white gold would have been a white gold fluted bezel. Your TT ladies Datejust has more "value".
Old 26 August 2020, 02:02 AM   #3
DebbieB
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Thanks.... relief

Hi Larry, Thanks for replying. I've been wanting a Rolex for years and was afraid I'd screwed up and bought one that experts would have avoided. I love the look of the watch but freaked when told it was a 'conversion' and not worth what I paid. I didn't know that the original bracelet would have been stainless steel. Was told it would have been stainless steel & white gold. Thanks for that piece of useful info. Reassuring to be reminded that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Cheers!! P.S. what's a TT?

Last edited by DebbieB; 26 August 2020 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: forgot to ask something
Old 26 August 2020, 02:16 AM   #4
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

TT= Two tone - steel and yellow gold
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:51 AM   #5
DebbieB
"TRF" Member

Of course!