The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 August 2020, 11:33 AM   #1
Policylimits
"TRF" Member

Icon20 AD purchase and wait list data points?

Long time reader seldom, if ever posted...I was wondering if there was a thread somewhere on here of wait times w an AD for specific watches... or any interest in creating one... below, maybe?.. For me at least, I was looking for just bare bones standardized data points for ad purchase experiences..(similar to the flyertalk amex retention offers thread, if you’ve ever seen it) I don’t know if there would be enough data points on this forum to be very useful here but it’d be cool to see...

My first thought is to have a thread w standardized data points for AD purchases like:

A) Watch type,
b) location purchased, (city or region if you don’t want to name store)
c) date put on waiting list,
d) date purchased (or watch offered as available)
e) any misc bs or hoops jumped through/prior relationship w ad

I’d be happy to start it off w a datapoint of my own but unfortunately my datapoint/ last experience with an AD if from another world when I walked in and bought a sub in 2012, on whim, before any supply issues were ever on my radar... following that, my most recent purchase was at David SW’s place in Orlando in 2018 because my local ad said he couldn’t get anything at that time and I wanted to meet that forum legend... Anyways would love to see a thread like this or even just hear of any recent ad success stories by region. If anyone has to share. Thanks so much and stay healthy! (Also on Iphone so please excuse any weird typos)
Policylimits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:20 AM   #2
Policylimits
"TRF" Member

Well here is a data point went into AD in Charleston SC asked if they ever get my watch but in green. (Which would be the hulk).. told it would be like two years maybe if it doesn’t get discontinued next week. Gave them my card asked them to call me if something came in.. I’ll post back in 3-5 years or sooner if I hear anything. Womp womp boo
Old 26 August 2020, 04:27 AM   #3
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
I emailed an AD in Greenville, SC about a RootBeer. I never had stepped foot in the store. I was given an email back about not available, but was called 8 days later with one magically available for me. So I went in the store for the first time ever, and bought my 126711.
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:28 AM   #4
Deroya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
kind of funny this is even a thought for a hype that did not exist until 2018 or so.
Deroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:31 AM   #5
Podmornica
Banned

There's no way you can make a pattern. To many variables involved.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:33 AM   #6
cbalster
"TRF" Member

I was in the Patek salon at a Tiffany boutique once and asked about the allocation pieces. He breaks out the ipad, opens a spreadsheet. Names, numbers, addresses (nationwide) and a few columns of notes. The notes were previous spend, previous pieces bought, and what each customer desires, as well as notes like "possible reseller". It was 100s of rows long and alphabetical by name. There was no column noting time of getting on the list. Whether Rolex or Patek, this is a money spent waiting game, not a time spent waiting game.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:48 AM   #7
PA Zu
"TRF" Member

Seems like a noble effort:
A) SD43 (oystersteel)
b) Pennsylvania
c) 8/11/20 via email/follow-up phone call w/ AD
d) 8/15/20 (contacted by SA that it was available to pick up)
e) No prior relationship. Not a super hyped piece like a some of the ones above, but I was happy to land it within 4 days.
PA Zu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:53 AM   #8
WhiteRhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I went into an AD in Louisiana in Oct of 2019 that I had never purchased from before. I inquired about an SD43, which was not available. I really hit it off with the SA, as me and her ex husband worked for the same federal agency. Turns out I knew him from several TDY’s . Had the “small world” conversation and bs’d for another 15-20 minutes. She said she would locate one if possible. 3 weeks later I got the call it had arrived and it was mine. I really think establishing a rapport and “connection” with the SA goes a long way.
WhiteRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:54 AM   #9
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
I was in the Patek salon at a Tiffany boutique once and asked about the allocation pieces. He breaks out the ipad, opens a spreadsheet. Names, numbers, addresses (nationwide) and a few columns of notes. The notes were previous spend, previous pieces bought, and what each customer desires, as well as notes like "possible reseller". It was 100s of rows long and alphabetical by name. There was no column noting time of getting on the list. Whether Rolex or Patek, this is a money spent waiting game, not a time spent waiting game.
100%. To be (perhaps) useful, this database would need to include the amount of $$ spent at the AD and when.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 05:36 AM   #10
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
A) Rolex Daytona Stainless Steel White dial Ceramic
B) Louisiana
C) 11/2018
D) 11/13/2019
E) Relative who worked at the AD
StackLexus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 06:05 AM   #11
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Assuming we're talking about hard to get models, post 2017...

116500 white
first on the list as soon as AD opened
Took one year and a lot of "following up"
Socal (LA)
Had purchased from and referred people to them before (although I don't know how much weight that carried)

I've bought other popular models like the hulk, but that was before anybody cared about them. Walk in, negotiate the discount, walk out.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 10:49 AM   #12
Policylimits
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
I emailed an AD in Greenville, SC about a RootBeer. I never had stepped foot in the store. I was given an email back about not available, but was called 8 days later with one magically available for me. So I went in the store for the first time ever, and bought my 126711.
Thanks so much for the post and details...congrats I. The cool watch.. I never really looked at those until your post but I like them now. As a South Carolinian with no real clout myself as far as Rolex SA’s are concerned.. I find your story reassuring and might email the same store also.. but do mind sharing when your success story takes place?
Old 26 August 2020, 10:57 AM   #13
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The data point currently, is the more you spend the faster you can get whatever you desire. Location determines how much you need to spend.
Old 26 August 2020, 11:00 AM   #14
Policylimits
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
100%. To be (perhaps) useful, this database would need to include the amount of $$ spent at the AD and when.
I think amount spent/prof relationship/special connection can be the new “e”

A) Watch type,
b) location purchased, (city or region if you don’t want to name store)
c) date put on waiting list,
d) date purchased (or watch offered as available)
e) amount spent/prior relationship w ad or special connections

Also it might be interesting to have Data points of people still waiting so we can also have a snapshot of pending attempts since there may be more of those than the the seem to be rare successful attempts..

Maybe this is a better format??..

A) Watch type:
b) location:
c) date put on waiting list:
d) date purchased (or watch offered as available):
e) amount spent/prior relationship w ad or special connections:
Old 26 August 2020, 11:07 AM   #15
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
The data point currently, is the more you spend the faster you can get whatever you desire. Location determines how much you need to spend.
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policylimits View Post
Thanks so much for the post and details...congrats I. The cool watch.. I never really looked at those until your post but I like them now. As a South Carolinian with no real clout myself as far as Rolex SA’s are concerned.. I find your story reassuring and might email the same store also.. but do mind sharing when your success story takes place?
March 2020...If you want the full story of my first Rolex, check out my thread:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=10436452
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 11:59 AM   #17
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I read the forum for: Incomings / Outgoings, design opinions, learned
debates on Rolex History. mechanics, etc.

The *last* thing I want on the forum is MORE skewed information and data which pertain to the poor souls who cannot purchase their BLNR, Pepsi or Daytona. IMO, there is no way to quantify useful info that might help someone plan a path to acquiring the "Sports Watch of their Dreams."

It's a great and noble (selfless) idea, but really defeats the idea of being a WIS.

It is, and always should be, all about having fun. Advanced algebraic expressions and formulas just son't my idea of 'fun.'

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 12:15 PM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

OP, no offense, but your idea is silly. There are too many variables involved to make such an idea worth the effort it takes to type. There’s a bazillion threads whose conclusions are basically this: the “wait list” is not a linear list but a dynamic one. And as such , no data on said lists can have any useful merit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 12:44 PM   #19
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policylimits View Post
Well here is a data point went into AD in Charleston SC asked if they ever get my watch but in green. (Which would be the hulk).. told it would be like two years maybe if it doesn’t get discontinued next week. Gave them my card asked them to call me if something came in.. I’ll post back in 3-5 years or sooner if I hear anything. Womp womp boo
:-) lol
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 12:51 PM   #20
Policylimits
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
OP, no offense, but your idea is silly. There are too many variables involved to make such an idea worth the effort it takes to type. There’s a bazillion threads whose conclusions are basically this: the “wait list” is not a linear list but a dynamic one. And as such , no data on said lists can have any useful merit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
None taken. I don’t have an emotional attachment to the idea.. and I get it would take a lot of buy in from everyone for this thread to have even marginal utility so it’s very flawed in that regard... but my thought was that most wait list info on the forum is spread out and difficult to find..even though there is a lot of it..and a recurring topic or subtopic on threads.. I read the forum a good bit since when I want a Rolex, I can’t just buy one and have a lot of time to look... lol.. I get exactly what you’re saying and I think the poster that said past something ‘like spend and location are the two biggest variables’ is correct... but even with the less than 20 posts I’ve read, I got useful info about wait experiences in the US south and even my home state/market that I found encouraging and interesting... and for people who don’t like wait list threads or data, I would think they too would benefit from it being consolidated and thus avoidable from the experience they are looking for...

My best bet is this thread dies pretty quick because it takes a lot of buy in to be useful and people won’t fill anything out.. but I appreciate all who posted because your responses have encouraged me that I might actually have a decent chance of scoring something quickly with some charm and luck in my area... not sure if I have either.. lol.. but I’m not paying 20k for a BNIB hulk on the grey market or giving up on the idea of getting one from an AD just yet. ;)

Thanks all for the replies and I really enjoy this forum!