The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 October 2020, 08:27 AM   #61
Larry302
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
Hello all,

Im a young man who would like your opinions on a sport coat or jacket for casual wear.

I intend to wear it on the weekends around town with some nice jeans maybe a shirt underneath, or maybe just to polish up my look with just a tshirt underneath.

I just want to look more presentable. There are several mens shops in town and im sure i could go in and ask the same question and have success, but i wondered if any of you guys have a tried and true brand that you rely on and know you can order something off the rack without tailoring that will get the job done

Thank you kindly---
Hi , I’m in Webster ( Rochester suburb ) just saying hello . I’m of no help as I have one sport coat , and no suit , I probably bought it at JC Penny 25 years ago ,wear it once every couple years .

If you need to buy quality hunting clothes I can help though ....
Larry302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:52 PM   #62
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Fit fit fit.
Lots of quality brands mentioned but in my experience they all fit very differently.

You’ll have to try them on, pick the one that works for your body type.
Old 15 December 2020, 05:07 PM   #63
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Brooks Brothers. Regardless what brand you buy, fit is most important.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 05:59 AM   #64
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I have an older production Italian wool sport coat from Banana Republic (monogram) that I like and have tailored to me but I I feel the quality of BR and their Monogram line have dwindled over the years.

The most important thing about sport coats or suits in general is that it should be tailored to you by a tailor wether it’s off the rack or not.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 06:07 AM   #65
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

All I know is since covid hit I probably can't fit in half of my suits and haven't even tried. Seriously though, it really comes down to fit. Some brands will fit better than others. A good off-the rack designer piece with good tailoring usually works just fine.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 06:50 AM   #66
Lagetickers
Banned

If you find your self a good tailor then you've solved the problem in a better way.
Lagetickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:12 AM   #67
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Peter Millar
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 09:34 AM   #68
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Brioni...if you want the best. Zegna or Armani for a “not break the bank”alternative. J Crew for budget jacket until you step into big boy bespoke market.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 10:32 AM   #69
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
It is all about the tailor.

You can buy a $100 jacket that will look amazing on you, or spend $2000 on something that looks like a bag...and vice versa. The key is to find a good tailor, not how much money you spent on the suit. It has to fit you to begin with, too.

Obviously not a sport coat pic, but posting so you get the idea. This was a cheap suit that I got bespoke in Bahrain - Around $200, but has lasted me nearly a decade. Toughest part is keeping the lbs off...

That suit was not built for swimming.
Looks nice though.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 10:54 AM   #70
Kyle3130
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
Brioni...if you want the best. Zegna or Armani for a “not break the bank”alternative. J Crew for budget jacket until you step into big boy bespoke market.
J. Crew for me. I don’t play among the “big boys” so I search the clearance rack and then have them tailored. This gets me a great fitting/looking jacket for less than half the price of the trendy stuff. Also perfect for casual looks with jeans or chinos.
Old 16 December 2020, 10:55 AM   #71
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
I started with Zegna early on, terrific fabric, some of their pieces were made in Switzerland when they were a smaller company. Not sure if there're made there any more. Eventually moved on to Brioni and Kiton with some Oxxford as well. Now all collecting dust.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 11:15 AM   #72
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Bonobos has been good to me.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 11:23 AM   #73
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
That suit was not built for swimming.
Looks nice though.
Haha, no it was not - just a friendly visit to the pool during a B-school trip to Bangkok!
Old 16 December 2020, 11:33 AM   #74
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I started with Zegna early on, terrific fabric, some of their pieces were made in Switzerland when they were a smaller company. Not sure if there're made there any more. Eventually moved on to Brioni and Kiton with some Oxxford as well. Now all collecting dust.
Same. I always find myself looking for the cheaper stretch fabric stuff now since im a “BigBoy”
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 12:06 PM   #75
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I need a sportcoat/jacket

Wish I could give advice. I have worn jeans twice this year. You need basketball shorts or sweatshirt advise, I am your guy lol.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2020, 11:27 PM   #76
Toxicant
"TRF" Member

There is a web site called style forum that I found when I started the same journey. There is quite a bit of information there. You can even post a picture wearing a jacket and get advice about what is right or wrong.

I experimented with ebay to start. Find a jacket that fits pretty well and take some measurements. Look around on ebay and you'll see how sellers are showing the measurements so you know what numbers to write down.

A lot of high end clothing is purchased for a special occasion never to be worn again. When it ends up in goodwill or a thrift shop there are people that hit these stores everyday as a job. They find them and then sell them on ebay.

You can find a 1000 dollar Ralph Lauren purple label jacket as an example for a hundred bucks. Then off to the tailor. Not quite as stressful taking a rather nice but inexpensive purchase while you shop for the tailor.

I'm limited on tailors where I live and had a bad experience with a 4000k suit, he finally sent it to someone that could correct it but it took awhile. If you check out that web site I mentioned you'll find recommendations on tailors also.
Old 17 December 2020, 12:28 AM   #77
swils8610

Gentleman’s Gazette is also a website I enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 12:35 AM   #78
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD36
Something that is tailored is the best advice in this thread... regardless of what you spend on the jacket. An expensive jacket will look cheap if it isn't tailored and a cheap jacket can look expensive if it is tailored.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 05:28 AM   #79
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicant View Post
There is a web site called style forum that I found when I started the same journey. There is quite a bit of information there. You can even post a picture wearing a jacket and get advice about what is right or wrong.

I experimented with ebay to start. Find a jacket that fits pretty well and take some measurements. Look around on ebay and you'll see how sellers are showing the measurements so you know what numbers to write down.

A lot of high end clothing is purchased for a special occasion never to be worn again. When it ends up in goodwill or a thrift shop there are people that hit these stores everyday as a job. They find them and then sell them on ebay.

You can find a 1000 dollar Ralph Lauren purple label jacket as an example for a hundred bucks. Then off to the tailor. Not quite as stressful taking a rather nice but inexpensive purchase while you shop for the tailor.

I'm limited on tailors where I live and had a bad experience with a 4000k suit, he finally sent it to someone that could correct it but it took awhile. If you check out that web site I mentioned you'll find recommendations on tailors also.
you find me there also under dauster :) spent way too much time since quarantine on TRF and Styleforum
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 05:35 AM   #80
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
you find me there also under dauster :) spent way too much time since quarantine on TRF and Styleforum
Same here. I also post on omegaforums. Great way to kill time.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 07:46 AM   #81
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Hedley View Post
Better to buy an inexpensive sport coat (pants etc) and have it tailored than to buy expensive ill fitting clothing.

For jackets, I recommend going to any store with a wide variety of sport coats and try on as many as you can then see your tailor.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 07:54 AM   #82
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
get a classic 'blue blazer' and call it a day, you're in Rochester, the sun never shines there anyways ........... I'm just being a smart ass, know all about that town, started my railroad career there 47 years ago
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2020, 08:03 AM   #83
swils8610

You’re in Rochester...stop by Hickey Freeman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote