The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 December 2020, 01:52 PM   #1
woowoo
Banned

Does G-Shock have a monopoly? Any legit competition? Why?

Would you say G-Shock is in a monopoly position for their segment? Let's call it 'super tough water-resistant beater watches'. Are there any other watch companies making (digital or mechanical) really rugged tough watches on a similar level?

Why don't you think any other watch brands have really gotten into this? Even with the microbrand explosion it seems almost no one is attacking this segment with a monopoly player. Any thoughts why not?

Marathon watches come to mind as one potential competitor. Barely. They make tough watches, though they have very few models and not many features. Hardly really trying to go after this segment.

(P.S. Let's not debate the definition of "monopoly". It was a convenient title. You know what I mean here ;) Thanks).
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 02:15 PM   #2
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
Would you say G-Shock is in a monopoly position for their segment? Let's call it 'super tough water-resistant beater watches'. Are there any other watch companies making (digital or mechanical) really rugged tough watches on a similar level?

Why don't you think any other watch brands have really gotten into this? Even with the microbrand explosion it seems almost no one is attacking this segment with a monopoly player. Any thoughts why not?

Marathon watches come to mind as one potential competitor. Barely. They make tough watches, though they have very few models and not many features. Hardly really trying to go after this segment.

(P.S. Let's not debate the definition of "monopoly". I don't care where you took econ 101. It was a convenient title. You know what I mean. ;) Thanks).

Timex do some...

There are other smaller companies out there too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 02:21 PM   #3
woowoo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post

There are other smaller companies out there too...
such as? exactly.
Old 20 December 2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Dan GSR
"TRF" Member

Nixon
Suunto core

None are real competition
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 02:06 PM   #5
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Competition... none. Suunto xlander made in finland model is close in robustness. The rest fail in comparison
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 07:08 PM   #6
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

G-shock are like Rolex in their own field. Classic professional tool watch, making use of modern technology. Mixing digital and analogue as they do now is pretty cool. I have a couple of ltd collab models.
Old 21 December 2020, 03:55 AM   #7
woowoo
Banned

Ok so no real competition. Anyone wana start a tough-as-nails-take-anywhere-deep-water-resistant-lifetime-warranty wristwatch company? It’s a big market, there is always room for at least one competitor vs a monopoly business. I've got some ideas we where we could differentiate as well. Not looking to start a microbrand, looking to start a big brand. DM me if interested.
Old 22 December 2020, 06:07 AM   #8
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Victorinox Inox (quartz) is a tough analog watch.

Timex has shock resistant Ironman.

Garmin has solar Instinct.

And RM has their own shock resistant watch .. LOL

But none of those can match the functionality and variety of G-Shocks.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 06:24 AM   #9
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

For me Garmin or something similar would compete. G-Shock wins on toughness, but 200m vs 100m water resistant does not change anything for me and the sports features of Garmin I use on a daily basis. I definitely have never felt the need to baby a Garmin.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 06:54 AM   #10
woowoo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinMoses View Post
For me Garmin or something similar would compete. G-Shock wins on toughness, but 200m vs 100m water resistant does not change anything for me and the sports features of Garmin I use on a daily basis. I definitely have never felt the need to baby a Garmin.

Garmin is making some interesting watches. Especially the higher end heavy on features models. Which is your daily? Any reasons why or features you use besides telling time?
Old 22 December 2020, 07:18 PM   #11
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
Garmin is making some interesting watches. Especially the higher end heavy on features models. Which is your daily? Any reasons why or features you use besides telling time?
I have a forerunner 935 (plus a bunch of its predecessors). I run 5-6 days a week and so the gps tracking, heart rate and other running related metrics are the main features I use. The wrist based HRM is reasonable, but the chest strap type gives even more accurate results. As I am running this model is fairly light on the wrist. There are the Fenix and Marq higher end models, but they do not add any more features for running and they are heavier.

The latest version has music storage so if you want to listen to music while you run / workout and do not carry your phone then that could also be a plus.

One feature I found useful was planning running routes in new cities in advance - I drew the route on the map and can then do a loop with turn by turn directions without needing a phone. Another useful feature is “Back to Start”, which guides you back to your staring point of an activity. You can choose to retrace your outbound route or get a straight line. Again useful running / walking in an unknown location. I think these and other features could be useful for most outdoor pursuits.

The line they are doing for toughness is I think the Garmin Instinct - they have a Tactical edition that they highlight it is “ built to the U.S. military standard 810 for thermal, shock and water resistance” and have “stealth mode” to stop gps and other wireless connectivity and tracking plus “night vision compatibility mode” to make it easy to read with night vision google on.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 05:38 AM   #12
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

G-Shock is pretty much in a class all their own for what they do. Really glad Casio G-Shocks exist, and in such a variety. From the humble square to the most exorbitant "Mr. G-special-edition x influencer-hypebeast-personality-drop" there is a G-Shock for everyone, in everyone's price range. All same ridiculous level of indestructibility.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
G-Shock is pretty much in a class all their own for what they do. Really glad Casio G-Shocks exist, and in such a variety. From the humble square to the most exorbitant "Mr. G-special-edition x influencer-hypebeast-personality-drop" there is a G-Shock for everyone, in everyone's price range. All same ridiculous level of indestructibility.
Is there a good, basic G-Shock running watch? Chrono, GPS, maybe a little music storatso I don’t need my old iPod Nano? Thanks.
Old 23 December 2020, 01:48 PM   #14
eonflux
"TRF" Member

I've had Ironmans and Suuntos.
G-Shocks are in their own category.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 02:26 PM   #15
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Does G-Shock have a monopoly? Any legit competition? Why?

G-Shock is dominant in its space. It’s not a very big market when you consider G-Shock only dominates military, LE, and outdoor segments.

Casio’s got a winner for sure - but their position is far from monopoly, it is more of a niche player. Just my

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 04:53 PM   #16
tom2517
"TRF" Member

For me G-Shock has a monopoly. If you want a G-Shock type of watch, you pretty much have to buy a G-Shock. It is almost in its own category.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 09:31 PM   #17
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Is there a good, basic G-Shock running watch? Chrono, GPS, maybe a little music storatso I don’t need my old iPod Nano? Thanks.
Not really. For your runs, they do have a proper workout watch with GPS and heart rate monitor alongside gshock trademark toughness - the GBD-H1000, for about $400 - but aside from it being huge and heavy you'd probably find it to have a somewhat clumsy and unintuitive interface compared to more dedicated smartwatches from the likes of Garmin.

Or if you didn't want heart rate monitor you could bump up the budget and spend $800 to get the GPR-B1000 Rangemaster which is tough as hell with 3d mapping and its bluetooth can control a smartphone to give your music, but it won't actually store your music. The cheaper GBA-400 is in the $100-200 range and has bluetooth music control but still doesn't store music itself, and it doesn't have GPS or HRM, while still being bulky, so isn't something I would consider for going on a run. If you want music you still have to carry a phone, which defeats the point of having a supertough go-anywhere watch.

For $230 at Amazon you can get something like a Garmin vivoactive 4, which has GPS, HRM, music storage, garminpay and a bunch of other features. I don't mind getting mine wet or scuffed, but it isn't designed to be gshock tough.

So one option if you have a $300 budget and are going off for a run, get one of those Garmins for your right wrist and a cheap low-end Gshock for your left. Then if, as you're running along, you find yourself in danger of slipping onto the floor / running into a wall or piece of industrial machinery / getting into a fight... just remember to lead with your left.

accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2020, 09:51 PM   #18
Pongster
"TRF" Member

In its space, G shock has a very dominant market position.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 12:37 AM   #19
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
Not really. For your runs, they do have a proper workout watch with GPS and heart rate monitor alongside gshock trademark toughness - the GBD-H1000, for about $400 - but aside from it being huge and heavy you'd probably find it to have a somewhat clumsy and unintuitive interface compared to more dedicated smartwatches from the likes of Garmin.

Or if you didn't want heart rate monitor you could bump up the budget and spend $800 to get the GPR-B1000 Rangemaster which is tough as hell with 3d mapping and its bluetooth can control a smartphone to give your music, but it won't actually store your music. The cheaper GBA-400 is in the $100-200 range and has bluetooth music control but still doesn't store music itself, and it doesn't have GPS or HRM, while still being bulky, so isn't something I would consider for going on a run. If you want music you still have to carry a phone, which defeats the point of having a supertough go-anywhere watch.

For $230 at Amazon you can get something like a Garmin vivoactive 4, which has GPS, HRM, music storage, garminpay and a bunch of other features. I don't mind getting mine wet or scuffed, but it isn't designed to be gshock tough.

So one option if you have a $300 budget and are going off for a run, get one of those Garmins for your right wrist and a cheap low-end Gshock for your left. Then if, as you're running along, you find yourself in danger of slipping onto the floor / running into a wall or piece of industrial machinery / getting into a fight... just remember to lead with your left.

Hahaha! Thanks for this. While I don't mind spending Rolex money for Rolexes, I don't really see myself spending $400 or $800 for a digital running watch. Think I'll look outside the G-Shock range.
Old 24 December 2020, 04:19 AM   #20
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I would say it’s closest competition comes from within Casio; the Pro-trek line is extremely durable and has many useful features. Yes you will give up some durability but we’re talking purpose built versus overbuilt. When I left on deployment for a year in Iraq in 04 I started with a gshock, picked up a Suunto my second month in and by about month four I bought a titanium Pro-trek. I wore it for the remainder of my time in the military and for my first three years in LE. It took everything I threw at it and I didn’t find it inferior to any of the half dozen or so Gshocks I had owned leading up to it. It still looks pretty good and still runs perfectly. I only ditched it because I finally got fed up with it being too thick for the cuff on my uniform shirts, a problem all my gshock shared.

I had a garmin fenix sapphire that I wore for a short time. It too was pretty solid but I’d choose the protrek for durability between the two.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2020, 08:50 PM   #21
Subterranean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 16610 Sub
Just joined the Gshock club ..2 incoming
2month old Frogman analogue 200 metre ISO diver.
GWF-A1000-1A2
And a brand new Mudmaster GWG-1000-1A3
Can't wait to receive ..
Subterranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 06:16 AM   #22
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I think there is certain "X factor" about G-Shocks. I always like to pick on my GPS Rangeman.

Compare to Garmin Fenix, or even Instinct, the GPS / Navigation feature on the GPS Rangeman is absolutely terrible. Even my old Fenix 3 from a number of years ago would blow it out of the water.

But I absolutely love the watch. Casio throw in everything including the kitchen sink.

Solar, bluetooth (for watch setup), GPS, ABC sensor, moonphase, tidegraph, world time, stopwatch, countdown timer, alarms, carbon fiber strap, sapphire crystal, ceramic caseback with wireless USB charging, low temp resist display, mud resist buttons, etc.

Its a horrible GPS / Navigation watch, but its a great G-Shock Rangeman with a GPS function. :D

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote