The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2009, 07:34 AM   #1
sirjohnbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'chu lookin' at???
Question on Omega Speedmaster Day Date

I've been wanting to get a chronograph for a while and I recently saw a blue faced Speedmaster Day Date. For any of you who know, does the 24 hour dial at 9:00 act as part of the timer or can it be independently set, for example as a second time zone?

Also does anyone have a resource that gives more details about the Speedmasters? Thanks in advance.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." Homer Simpson

SS Midsize DJ 68274 "L"
TT Jubilee DJ 116233 "Z"
Sea Dweller DS 116660 "V"
SS White Dial Daytona "V"
sirjohnbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjohnbrian View Post
I've been wanting to get a chronograph for a while and I recently saw a blue faced Speedmaster Day Date. For any of you who know, does the 24 hour dial at 9:00 act as part of the timer or can it be independently set, for example as a second time zone?

Also does anyone have a resource that gives more details about the Speedmasters? Thanks in advance.
Chronographs are a great look in a time-piece..

Not sure about which Speedmaster you are talking about..perhaps a model number or picture will help..

Most of the typical Chronograh sub-dials are a seconds dial that is the main seconds, a 30 minute timer as part of the stopwatch function, and a 12 hour sub-dial.

With one style of Day-Dates (Triple Date), there is a day of the week and a month window at the 12 o'clock position, and it has an additional hand that ticks around the full face to show the date; the 12hr stop-watch sub-dial is replaced with the 24 hr dial. I believe that it is synced to show am and pm and moves around the dial in 24 hr time as the day hand moves one day. This one seems to be the type you describe..

Other Day-Dates have the windows at 3 oclock and show the day of the week and date. The 9 oclock sub-dial is the standard seconds, 6 oclock sub is the 12 hr totalizer, and the additional hand (with wings) is a 60 minute indicator (totalizer) that works with the stopwatch center seconds... entirely different. However it too has a 24 hr sub at the 12 o'clock position, but it also only shows 24 hr time.

The Omega.com site has downloadable manuals for the different models you might be interested in..
Old 21 April 2009, 09:15 PM   #3
sirjohnbrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'chu lookin' at???
Thanks, Larry, that was exactly the information I needed. This forum never ceases to amaze me.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." Homer Simpson

SS Midsize DJ 68274 "L"
TT Jubilee DJ 116233 "Z"
Sea Dweller DS 116660 "V"
SS White Dial Daytona "V"
sirjohnbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
jms_w
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
If you're talking about the 3222.80, I have that very watch with blue dial. Btw, Tools is right. The dial at 9 o'clock is a 24 hour dial with short, broad hand pointing to hour of day and long hand indicating seconds. In other words, it cannot be set independently. I love this watch. The detail of the dial and subdials is amazing. The stopwatch feels like a real stopwatch where the buttons click when pushed hard and the second hand resets instantly to zero. If you have any more questions about it, you can PM me. Also, the site is http://www.omegawatches.com. Good luck with your decision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0094s.jpg (42.5 KB, 182 views)
A2332212
CFX-200|Riseman|GW-M5610
jms_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2009, 03:08 AM   #5
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
I HAD the same watch and no it cannot be set independently.
Beautiful time piece though.
rkot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2009, 12:15 PM   #6
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms_w View Post
If you're talking about the 3222.80, I have that very watch with blue dial. Btw, Tools is right. The dial at 9 o'clock is a 24 hour dial with short, broad hand pointing to hour of day and long hand indicating seconds. In other words, it cannot be set independently. I love this watch. The detail of the dial and subdials is amazing. The stopwatch feels like a real stopwatch where the buttons click when pushed hard and the second hand resets instantly to zero. If you have any more questions about it, you can PM me. Also, the site is http://www.omegawatches.com. Good luck with your decision.
You might also look at the 3513.50 for consideration. Stainless steel bezel and black face. Better looking than the standard speedmaster in my opinion, with the benefit of a date window. A date feature is just a must have for many.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2009, 01:15 PM   #7
jms_w
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
You might also look at the 3513.50 for consideration. Stainless steel bezel and black face. Better looking than the standard speedmaster in my opinion, with the benefit of a date window. A date feature is just a must have for many.
Yes, the 3513.50 is the date, non-day version and is discontinued. It also was water proof to 30 meters instead of 100 I think. I had looked at the new version of that with the colored bezel but fell for the more complicated day-date. This thing has 8 hands! I admit, the date is harder to read than if it had been a date window.
A2332212
CFX-200|Riseman|GW-M5610
jms_w is offline   Reply With Quote