The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 February 2021, 03:56 AM   #1
GS93108
"TRF" Member

AP web site

Another snippet of info to share...

I personally have been a proponent of the entirely FALSE assertion that the images on AP’s web site are renders, i.e. computer generated images. I was wrong and I’ve had my wrists slapped.

The images are in fact actual photographs, but ‘touched up’. I’m sure I could make some sort of crass simile to super models but I shall refrain from going there.

This may in fact be moot, because I’m pretty sure that it was alluded to that there will be a new web site soon. (I may have misheard or that may be wishful thinking on my part though, as I was possibly distracted at the time, so maybe someone else can confirm that for me.)
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 04:24 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Another snippet of info to share...

I personally have been a proponent of the entirely FALSE assertion that the images on AP’s web site are renders, i.e. computer generated images. I was wrong and I’ve had my wrists slapped.

The images are in fact actual photographs, but ‘touched up’. I’m sure I could make some sort of crass simile to super models but I shall refrain from going there.

This may in fact be moot, because I’m pretty sure that it was alluded to that there will be a new web site soon. (I may have misheard or that may be wishful thinking on my part though, as I was possibly distracted at the time, so maybe someone else can confirm that for me.)
Well, I'll take your (or AP's) word for it, but render or not, it's hard to argue that some of the pictures are of much value. Same watch left and right (26400IO.OO.A004CA.02), and right is what it looks under the BT lighting:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26400IO.OO.A004CA.02.jpg (180.1 KB, 284 views)
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 04:54 AM   #3
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Well, I'll take your (or AP's) word for it, but render or not, it's hard to argue that some of the pictures are of much value. Same watch left and right (26400IO.OO.A004CA.02), and right is what it looks under the BT lighting:
The warmth and direction of light will drastically change the color of something. A lot of the images have a reduction or increase of saturation and increased contrast which change the color quite a bit.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 05:03 AM   #4
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
The warmth and direction of light will drastically change the color of something. A lot of the images have a reduction or increase of saturation and increased contrast which change the color quite a bit.
That is true, but if the intention is to give potential customers an impression of what the watch will look like most of the time, my sucky iPhone picture is closer to the truth than APs non-render. I have yet to see this watch look anything like the AP picture (and I actually really like it in real life).
Old 20 February 2021, 05:07 AM   #5
GS93108
"TRF" Member

The real life representation of the pictures on their site was how I directed my question, followed up quickly with why were they using renders.

Whether they are real photos, or renders as I believed, there is no question that there is no real correlation to real life...and thus I believe that is a part of the reason there is to be a new site.
Old 20 February 2021, 05:10 AM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The real life representation of the pictures on their site was how I directed my question, followed up quickly with why were they using renders.

Whether they are real photos, or renders as I believed, there is no question that there is no real correlation to real life...and thus I believe that is a part of the reason there is to be a new site.
Will be cool to see - maybe some new watches as well
Old 20 February 2021, 05:19 AM   #7
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will be cool to see - maybe some new watches as well

New additions to the line up go without saying and let’s hope that the images are worthy.
Old 20 February 2021, 05:29 AM   #8
dauster
"TRF" Member

I think more importantly than the accuracy of the pics, will they finally update the website to only show models that are actually still in production? It would be amazing if they would show which watch has been discontinued.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 05:37 AM   #9
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I think more importantly than the accuracy of the pics, will they finally update the website to only show models that are actually still in production? It would be amazing if they would show which watch has been discontinued.
Ah, well now that you mention it, that came up too.

Here’s the answer.

All the time that there is ONE item of a reference physically available anywhere in the AP global system, or as yet unallocated (e.g. a reference that hasn’t concluded its manufacturing run), then that model is still shown on the web site and it’s only moved to ‘legacy’ once it’s fully manufactured and the last one delivered to a customer.

So, a limited run of 400 pieces from 2 years ago may still be in manufacture today with the last few going out globally for sale.

Makes sense to me.

Thus, if it’s on the site then there’s the ‘possibility’ that you can buy it. You just need an AP person to track it down for you and maybe ‘trade’ for it or call in a favour from another boutique.

I have first hand experience of this. AP London did exactly that for me.
Old 20 February 2021, 06:37 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah, well now that you mention it, that came up too.

Here’s the answer.

All the time that there is ONE item of a reference physically available anywhere in the AP global system, or as yet unallocated (e.g. a reference that hasn’t concluded its manufacturing run), then that model is still shown on the web site and it’s only moved to ‘legacy’ once it’s fully manufactured and the last one delivered to a customer.

So, a limited run of 400 pieces from 2 years ago may still be in manufacture today with the last few going out globally for sale.

Makes sense to me.

Thus, if it’s on the site then there’s the ‘possibility’ that you can buy it. You just need an AP person to track it down for you and maybe ‘trade’ for it or call in a favour from another boutique.

I have first hand experience of this. AP London did exactly that for me.
Now that's very interesting. Thank you Gary. Much appreciated. Too bad not even their own SAs knew this :) I have definitely asked this question over and over.
Old 20 February 2021, 06:56 AM   #11
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Now that's very interesting. Thank you Gary. Much appreciated. Too bad not even their own SAs knew this :) I have definitely asked this question over and over.
Interestingly it’s not a question that anyone asked and not one I’ve ever asked before. It was a pre-emptive statement by Daniel (AP UK CEO) as though he knew the question was coming :) albeit in the context of me criticizing the web site in general!
Old 20 February 2021, 07:35 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interestingly it’s not a question that anyone asked and not one I’ve ever asked before. It was a pre-emptive statement by Daniel (AP UK CEO) as though he knew the question was coming :) albeit in the context of me criticizing the web site in general!
must have been my sub-conscious that made him answer that - I have been puzzled over this for a while and really wanted an answer
Old 20 February 2021, 09:56 AM   #13
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
That is true, but if the intention is to give potential customers an impression of what the watch will look like most of the time, my sucky iPhone picture is closer to the truth than APs non-render. I have yet to see this watch look anything like the AP picture (and I actually really like it in real life).

I’d argue that giving you an idea of what it “really looks like” is the last thing that a luxury brand wants to do.

Colors are always saturated. Texture is always sharpened. It’s par for the course.

This said, I do think AP (more than any luxury watch maker) needs to provide better and more realistic photos of their watches. It’s impossible to get a normal photo of any model on the AP website and I find that to be a pain. Everything is either too focused on a specific part of the watch or is at some angle that might make for fancy marketing but horrible evaluation of what a watch actually looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk