The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2006, 02:34 PM   #1
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
Icon1 Would you buy a Rolex with no Paper's

I was at a Local Jeweler and he said he can give me a good price on a Rolex, Problem is he doesn't have any papers on that watch and unsure/maybe lying about what year it was made.

I just feel like I trust him, But I have dealt with him for years with jewelry ... he is about making money, who isnt?. Curious has anyone purchased a Rolex with no paper's?
ROLEX4EvEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Freddy, when it comes to that kind of dosh, are you going to go with how you feel, or what you know?

I bought my Tudor without box or papers, but I got the guy to pop open the caseback to show me that it was a 7750 movement inside. Immediately after buying it, I took it to another watchmaker whose services I'd used before, got him to pop that sucker open and confirm that I was looking at the right thing.
Old 16 September 2006, 02:37 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX4EvEr View Post
I was at a Local Jeweler and he said he can give me a good price on a Rolex, Problem is he doesn't have any papers on that watch and unsure/maybe lying about what year it was made.

I just feel like I trust him, But I have dealt with him for years with jewelry ... he is about making money, who isnt?. Curious has anyone purchased a Rolex with no paper's?
Most important question is would you trust your jeweller? If so, then tell us how old the watch is. Can you have it authenticated by a Rolex AD? Tell us what the model and asking price is so we can tell you if the deal is good. Tell us the condition of the watch...and then we can advise you accordingly.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 02:57 PM   #4
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Its a YG Day Date, $7,000. He said at the time its getting fixed (outside the watch polished and things like that I imagine) maybe newer dial? he couldnt tell me the year of the watch when I was there.

He has a good reputation, Did the size of the day date change thur the year's ? (any other differnces) he also has a few more 2 YG & 1 WG but there over $10,000. WG was $17,000. Thats all I have so far.
Old 16 September 2006, 02:59 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Size is still 36 mm. What bracelet? Hopefully, President. The year of manufacture would be of great help.

Please do get back to us when you have some more details.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 16 September 2006, 03:23 PM   #6
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Also I live 20 minutes from the City where there is the Rolex building. I worked there for 2months (Vacation replacement) with a Maintenance Company. I remember they had off duty officers working as gaurds, with guns on there waist under there clothing. An I thought Rolex back then was like wearing a Rolls Royce LOL.
Old 16 September 2006, 03:25 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
And I thought Rolex back then was like wearing a Rolls Royce LOL.
For most people in the normal world, it still is, pal!!

Old 16 September 2006, 03:27 PM   #8
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

its a President bracelet
Old 16 September 2006, 03:29 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
its a President bracelet
That's great!! I guess you've seen it...so what's the condition like? And the year of manufacture is important. If you can give us the serial number that would be a big help.

JJ

Old 16 September 2006, 03:32 PM   #10
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Papers. Not Paper's. No apostrophe.

Sheesh.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 03:37 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post

Sheesh.
Robert, Robert....be nice...please!! Thanks!

Old 16 September 2006, 03:38 PM   #12
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post

Sheesh.
Thank's Robert
LOL
Old 16 September 2006, 03:39 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thank's Robert
LOL

Old 16 September 2006, 04:01 PM   #14
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
I would have no problems buying a used watch from any one of my trusted dealers. I have 2 watch brokers and 1 AD that I completely trust. I always buy the seller and not the watch itself since I know my ppl are real and therefore know what they sell is real.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 04:45 PM   #15
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
The serial number would help, points us to the year of production......
Old 16 September 2006, 05:53 PM   #16
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
For most people in the normal world, it still is, pal!!

Ain't that the truth. I was doing some calculations with an online mortgage calculater before and the cost of a new Rolex say an Explorer 1 at full retail takes several years off the ole home loan! If you use that as a comparison then a five thousand dollar watch is quite an extravagance and I'd say that most of you guys on here are well and truly in the minority that can afford a hobby such as this.

On TZ it used to amuse me how flippant everyone was with 'oh just buy that 15k watch if you like it' type of thing. Or 'go to an AD, dont consider a used watch off ebay' - the reason people are trying to snare these used ones is they cant afford the AD deal... and same with any online shop, in some parts of the world we cant even find a reliable source of used Rolexs. In Melbourne all the used vintage watch shops want the earth for their stock. So that leaves people to fight it out on the bay etc

I'm glad you guys aren't like that... when I have my money ready to go then I'll be definitely asking for some help as I cant afford to walk into an AD and buy new, I'll be wanting a Vintage/Used watch for sure, so need to make sure I dont end up with a fake.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 06:14 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well yes have bought several without papers,but the most important thing is can you trust the seller.If genuine guy he will only be to happy for you to get it checked before parting with your cash,if not just walk away.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2006, 07:08 PM   #18
mike
"TRF" Member

Certainly, I've purchased several vintage pieces without papers. In the world of vintage/used that's not uncommon.
It's incumbent upon you the buyer to do the homework/research necessary to know your getting "the real deal".
First rule---know the seller. An honest seller has nothing to hide. I would ask for an inspection period to validate the watch.
Since you're close to what sounds like RSC NY that's a simple process.

As others have said get the serial number. Means a lot. Couple things caught my attention. "Getting it fixed"---"polish the outside, maybe new dial"
In my experience Rolex does the best case refinish bar none! I've seen a lot of pieces have their value severely hurt by over polish.
Changing the dial can have a significant impact on the value of the watch.

It's important to understand that EVEN with papers it's important to validate the watch. The net is full of stories of people buying watches with papers and service papers only to find the dial had been swapped AFTER service and sold seperately.

RSC, it's my understanding, has recently gone to a system of marking the back of the dial at service to match it with the case AND photograph the watch in an effort to curtail this activity on certain pieces.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 01:02 AM   #19
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I've purchased Rolex without papers in the past. But, like the others have said, I trusted the seller. The one time that I didn't know the seller that well, I took it to a person who could authenticate it straight away As long as you do your homework, all should be fine
Old 17 September 2006, 02:23 AM   #20
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I bought a Rolex once. I trusted the seller, it even came with papers. At that time I knew little about Rolex, just that I liked them and wanted one for as long as I can remember.

About 1/2 year later I was interested in buying a second watch from him. I took the first one I bought to a jeweler to look at. He told me it was A rolex and most likely had all Rolex parts but the configuration was off. It was supposed to be a TOG in white gold, mine was a YG fluted bezel. The whole watch was pieced together as a frankenwatch. Only then did I start to understand whatthe model #s meant. I sold it back to the guy and lost about $900, but what was I to do? I would never sell it to someone else knowing what I knew. I could just not be that dishonest. If I were to pursue it in court, I did not think it would be worth my time. I had the watch for 6 months, my fault I did not get it looked at right away (I trusted the guy). So I ate the loss.

The reason I post this. Just be careful, and don't trust anyone unless you are very sure about them. Get things checked out by someone you trust if you buy used. Hoping someone can learn from my mistake.

After my experience I feel the security of buying from an AD is worth the peace of mind. But as it was said here, some on a tighter budget may not be able to go that route.

It truly is buyer beware. Good luck and be careful. I do think if something is too good to be true, then it probably is. $7K for DD is a good deal, but if it is an older model, then it makes sense.

Mark
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 03:32 AM   #21
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
Ain't that the truth. I was doing some calculations with an online mortgage calculater before and the cost of a new Rolex say an Explorer 1 at full retail takes several years off the ole home loan! If you use that as a comparison then a five thousand dollar watch is quite an extravagance and I'd say that most of you guys on here are well and truly in the minority that can afford a hobby such as this.

On TZ it used to amuse me how flippant everyone was with 'oh just buy that 15k watch if you like it' type of thing. Or 'go to an AD, dont consider a used watch off ebay' - the reason people are trying to snare these used ones is they cant afford the AD deal... and same with any online shop, in some parts of the world we cant even find a reliable source of used Rolexs. In Melbourne all the used vintage watch shops want the earth for their stock. So that leaves people to fight it out on the bay etc

I'm glad you guys aren't like that... when I have my money ready to go then I'll be definitely asking for some help as I cant afford to walk into an AD and buy new, I'll be wanting a Vintage/Used watch for sure, so need to make sure I dont end up with a fake.
Amanda, when it comes time for you to buy that pre-owned Rolex, bring the proposed transaction here and we can, to the extent, we are able, vett the deal for you. We can be more objective than you will be and can tell you whether it appears to be the real deal or something you should run from. You're going to be plunking down a bunch of coin for it, and we, as your friends, want to make sure you get the right thing.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 03:57 AM   #22
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Buying a Rolex without box or papers is one thing, but the most important thing especially is its used is the service history.

I bought a 14060 from timzone and the seller did inform me that it was bought from an estate jewellery and he did not have it serviced. he disclosed all the physical issues of the watch.

After I bought it, I had it authenticated, and yes its genuine. However without knowing the service history, I found out that there was water damage to the dial and hands, and the movement no longer had any lubricants which caused the watch to run fast. After the service and all, it is cheaper still than buying new... but beware as I was just lucky.

Same thing went for my wife's vintage 6618. its gen, but since its a 35 year old watch, moisture damage has set in causing some parts to rust but still run. I'm having it restored by Rolex and they gave me a discount on the service (no tax) which helps. The dial has to be ordered from switzerland... thank goodness they have parts for it still.

and... yes I would buy a Rolex without box or papers as long as the proper homework is done. I'm still learning about Rolex etc :-)

Regards,

Vernon
roadcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 04:46 AM   #23
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
"Caveat Emptor" Let the Buyer Beware...good Luck my friend, just make sure you follow your gut and if you feel it's legit I guess give it a shot.

As for me personally, I only buy new and from from dealers...this does not limit myself to watches. "cars, watches, clothes, etc..."
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 05:37 AM   #24
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Never

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 12:50 PM   #25
newtamparealestate
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Never
+100

I am all about buying from an AD. I dont mind paying a few hundred more or even 1000 more knowing thats its brand new, I am the first and only owner and there is a full 2 year warranty on it. Its fun buying somthing new.
newtamparealestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2006, 12:54 PM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtamparealestate View Post
+100

I am all about buying from an AD. I dont mind paying a few hundred more or even 1000 more knowing thats its brand new, I am the first and only owner and there is a full 2 year warranty on it. Its fun buying somthing new.
You took the words right out of my mouth, Sean!!!

Old 18 September 2006, 12:19 AM   #27
Submadatejust

Definitely would and have.

As mentioned before, I bought my first Rollie in a Chinese gambling den for $800.

Authentic.

Rolled the dice and won (not literally) a $4000 watch, thanks to some other fool's need for ready cash.

My old Sub has papers.
Submadatejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2006, 12:44 AM   #28
rusi
Banned

I have bought many rolexs without papers. I have a few known dealers.I get it verified by another dealer as to its authencity & price. I +/- the price.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2006, 01:34 AM   #29
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth, Sean!!!
Another revolting image. Thanks.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote