The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2021, 01:34 AM   #271
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
That's what it sounded to me as well. If that indeed works, I'll definitely get my 42mm ROO converted with the new plots
Diver backward compatibility is confirmed by AP. I posted in the Diver thread.

43 to 44 plot compatibility is yet to be confirmed. On paper it's a NO, but AP have said that there have been occasions in the past when the paper says NO but IRL it works. So we have to wait and see.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 01:38 AM   #272
GS93108
"TRF" Member

FHB is on record in an interview as saying that ALL new ROO will have interchangeable straps.

If there were any more 44mm ROO's then they'd have to have interchangeable straps and thus they would be backward compatible with older 44's.

Again, all roads lead to the conclusion that the 44 is done and dusted. The only question in my mind is about 'specials' as farewell pieces.
Old 30 March 2021, 01:54 AM   #273
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Diver backward compatibility is confirmed by AP. I posted in the Diver thread.

43 to 44 plot compatibility is yet to be confirmed. On paper it's a NO, but AP have said that there have been occasions in the past when the paper says NO but IRL it works. So we have to wait and see.
I recall your helpful post in that thread. Regarding "old Offshores", they discussed at 35:30 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoApKikQIn8 with Friedman referring to his old "Safari 42". They didn't explicitly mention 44mm, but didn't exclude it either.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 02:24 AM   #274
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Haven't seen it yet, out all day - anyone know in detail how the new interchangeable straps / plots will work? Thanks
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 02:27 AM   #275
adel.maniar
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
I am sorry but this Marvel collaboration is wrong on so many levels.

AP is my favorite brand. I have 6 of them, and will end the year with more but I am at a loss just to understand how someone there in Le Brassus could have thought it was a good idea.

How can you associate the highest standards of watch luxury with super heroes. You expect to see Iron Man on a box of cereals, not on a $50k high end watch. Given the underlying product, it just screams cheap and mass market.

I still got love for the brand, but frankly quite a bit less because of this...

But this is my humble opinion.
Well is it just me or are we missing the point that many of the famous rolexes are already associated with superhero (hulk, batman) and brand products (Pepsi, coke). How would AP officially NAMING their watches after superheroes be any different?

Surely might be cringy for some, but don't most of the buyers of rolex only know these watches by these unofficial associations? So AP might be up to something here
adel.maniar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 02:42 AM   #276
DGB
"TRF" Member

The new quick release is a good thing, VC started it with the Overseas, AP needed to react.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 03:34 AM   #277
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recall your helpful post in that thread. Regarding "old Offshores", they discussed at 35:30 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoApKikQIn8 with Friedman referring to his old "Safari 42". They didn't explicitly mention 44mm, but didn't exclude it either.
Unfortunately my knowledge of the 42mm range isn't up to much. If the diver and the 42mm non-divers share the same straps now, then I'd assume that all will be fully compatible with the new model diver strap kit, but AP is AP...

Fingers crossed for you.
Old 30 March 2021, 03:38 AM   #278
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Haven't seen it yet, out all day - anyone know in detail how the new interchangeable straps / plots will work? Thanks
Chris, no real details.

However, AP told me that the diver quick release strap will retro fit the old divers, via a plot, buckle/folding clasp kit. Whether those diver kits also then fit non diver 42mm models is unknown as of yet.

As to 44mm models, it looks like they are history and so I can't imagine AP making a kit for legacy models.

As to functionality, each plot has a button on the inside, depress both simultaneously and pull. The strap then detaches from the case. How the buckle releases is unknown.
Old 30 March 2021, 03:48 AM   #279
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Thanks, Gary. Must admit I wasn't really thinking it would be 'retro' for 44s.

But for watches that do apply - do the plots come with the straps so a significant price increase, or surely / hopefully come with the watch so you just purchase the straps themselves? Certainly inexpensive and easy strap interchange options will be a significant benefit.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 03:56 AM   #280
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Thanks, Gary. Must admit I wasn't really thinking it would be 'retro' for 44s.

But for watches that do apply - do the plots come with the straps so a significant price increase, or surely / hopefully come with the watch so you just purchase the straps themselves?
The 'new' diver and 43 models have different PLOTS to the existing ones on older ROOs. If you buy a new model and want a new strap then its the same process as now, i.e. you just buy a new strap and get two pieces of rubber/leather etc, so status quo, and I'd assume roughly similar pricing for the straps as now.

If you want to retro fit an older model ROO with the new straps then you'll need to buy a KIT from AP. The kit will include two new PLOTS, which you then swap for your existing PLOTS, the kit will also include a new buckle.
Old 30 March 2021, 04:39 AM   #281
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know if the live stream is recorded to view after ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 04:45 AM   #282
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Does anyone know if the live stream is recorded to view after ?
This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoApKikQIn8 ?
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 04:56 AM   #283
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you !

Missed it today but keen to watch

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 05:34 AM   #284
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Anyone know or seen details on case height for the new ROC's yet?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 05:38 AM   #285
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Chris, no real details.

However, AP told me that the diver quick release strap will retro fit the old divers, via a plot, buckle/folding clasp kit. Whether those diver kits also then fit non diver 42mm models is unknown as of yet.
They answered this in the Q&A, the 42mm ROOs will be able to be retrofitted with the interchangeable straps systems. They specifically mentioned M. Friedman's own 42mm ROO Safari as an example - should be available in Dec this year.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 05:51 AM   #286
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I watched the AP social club event with a bit of scepticism initially....but I must say I enjoyed the video very much overall. Keeping a little bit of suspense for the 10th April release but at the same time being very honest, straightforward and no beating around the bush.Felt like AP were engaging with the viewers. Not shying away from taking tough questions. I mean they could have just ignore questions like how to get the 15500, or what's gonna happen to the 15202 etc but they tackled it straight on.

Feels less stuck up compared to 'the other brand that discontinued the 5711'.....
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 06:00 AM   #287
HMHM
"TRF" Member

As for why AP will discontinue the 15202 and create a new reference... I think its because FHB simply can't stand that one of AP's signature product is not using an in-house movement. For a guy whose first move after being CEO of AP was to get 40 people and lock them up in the room for 10 hours to design an integrated movement for the ROC.....this must have been really irritating to him. It's like the Aston Vantage having the AMG GT's engine...

But... the jumbo line is the only one using that movement.... will AP spend all the money to develop one movement just for one watch?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 06:00 AM   #288
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I watched the AP social club event with a bit of scepticism initially....but I must say I enjoyed the video very much overall. Keeping a little bit of suspense for the 10th April release but at the same time being very honest, straightforward and no beating around the bush.Felt like AP were engaging with the viewers. Not shying away from taking tough questions. I mean they could have just ignore questions like how to get the 15500, or what's gonna happen to the 15202 etc but they tackled it straight on.

Feels less stuck up compared to 'the other brand that discontinued the 5711'.....
If you have courage to rock turtleneck and transparent sunglasses, how can a 15500 question harm you?
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 06:09 AM   #289
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Anyone know or seen details on case height for the new ROC's yet?
It's on the previous page and on the website... 12,38 and that makes it fattest 41mm ever

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...D821CR.01.html
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 06:25 AM   #290
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
If you have courage to rock turtleneck and transparent sunglasses, how can a 15500 question harm you?
Best...reply...ever.

Thanks for the answer on ROC thickness Edo.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 06:56 AM   #291
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

He looked very cool IMO, not taking things too seriously because he clearly has the important things under control.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 10:54 AM   #292
chows99
"TRF" Member

I suspect the while
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 10:56 AM   #293
chows99
"TRF" Member

I suspect the 1st part of the session is pre-recorded while the Q&A is live. Notice the provision of real-time subtitles.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 10:57 AM   #294
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Wait, so did he officially formally confirm that they're discontinuing the entire 15202 line?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 11:29 AM   #295
WatchLover1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wait, so did he officially formally confirm that they're discontinuing the entire 15202 line?
They are not discontinuing the entire 15202 line.. Only the steel version will be gone.. The rose gold with blue dial and white gold in salmon dial will still be in production from the interview mentioned by FHB.. I will say that this move by AP is very similar to Patek as Patek has discontinued 5711 in steel but the rose gold version is still in production.. In 2022 which is the 50th AP RO anniversary, they will be coming up with another reference for 15202 but it may most probably not be in steel anymore just like from 5711 to 6711..
WatchLover1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 11:33 AM   #296
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLover1234 View Post
They are not discontinuing the entire 15202 line.. Only the steel version will be gone.. The rose gold with blue dial and white gold in salmon dial will still be in production from the interview mentioned by FHB.. I will say that this move by AP is very similar to Patek as Patek has discontinued 5711 in steel but the rose gold version is still in production.. In 2022 which is the 50th AP RO anniversary, they will be coming up with another reference for 15202 but it may most probably not be in steel anymore just like from 5711 to 6711..
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 12:54 PM   #297
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post

Very well said and fully agree. It was very entertaining and the CEO is quite a (cool) character. Cant wait to see what they release on April 10th.

shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 02:53 PM   #298
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL

I actually thought it was pretty funny he recommended the secondary market. I don't think I've ever heard any brand do that.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 12:05 AM   #299
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Did anyone catch the image of the ceramic bezel diver in the new line up shown in the presentation?
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 12:07 AM   #300
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Here it is, first one on the right (image size is bad, however).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg divers.JPG (115.1 KB, 222 views)
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote