The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2021, 10:10 PM   #1
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Checking authenticity

Quick question - if I were to by a discontinued model in brand new condition, how do you go about checking authenticity at a RSC without having to pay for a full overhaul? Specifically in regards to the bezel and dial.

Thanks forum
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:17 PM   #2
Jshwarms
"TRF" Member

Buy the seller!
Jshwarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:24 PM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshwarms View Post
Buy the seller!

I agree in general for buying a watch.

But I don’t think that helps if the dealer doesn’t know every dial/bezel combo allowed on a particular model. For example, a DJ could have a dial replaced that Rolex doesn’t permit on a SS model or a Diamond bezel.

For the OP, you would send the watch into RSC per their instructions. Ask for a service quote. There is a fee but a minor one. If the watch is stolen they will keep it. If it has wrong parts on it they will advise you of the cost to put any inauthentic parts right (on top of the routine service).

If you choose to proceed, then you’d pay those charges upon completion. If you choose to decline service, then the watch is sent back as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:31 PM   #4
BillBrasky626
"TRF" Member

Take it to a dealer and ask them to check it out for you. My brother bought an old sub from a watch shop and just took it to his local AD. They verified it for him free of charge.
BillBrasky626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:36 PM   #5
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

I get the buy the seller, and I plan to. The previous post was correct…. You can buy the seller as much as you want but you have to remember you are also buying the seller that sold to your seller and that person you do not know. People seem to forget about that.
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:37 PM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

As above. Take it to an AD. Some will do it for nothing, some might charge. But you wouldn't expect them to work for nothing and it will cost considerably less than a service.

However, if you feel that you can't entirely trust a watch from a seller unless it is validated after you buy it, I suggest that you don't buy it. This may appear contradictory, but an AD authenticity check should not be mandatory if you have bought the seller. It's just a nice to have bonus.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:41 PM   #7
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGRLX View Post
...you have to remember you are also buying the seller that sold to your seller and that person you do not know. People seem to forget about that.
Our posts crossed over. Honestly, if that is the case, don't touch it. You haven't bought the seller. You appear to think they might sell you dodgy goods without even realising it. You don't want to go near need a seller like that.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:00 PM   #8
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Try one of the guys that advertise on the forum such as Davidsw or Nashville watch. You’ll have more piece of mind
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:07 PM   #9
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree in general for buying a watch.

But I don’t think that helps if the dealer doesn’t know every dial/bezel combo allowed on a particular model. For example, a DJ could have a dial replaced that Rolex doesn’t permit on a SS model or a Diamond bezel.

For the OP, you would send the watch into RSC per their instructions. Ask for a service quote. There is a fee but a minor one. If the watch is stolen they will keep it. If it has wrong parts on it they will advise you of the cost to put any inauthentic parts right (on top of the routine service).

If you choose to proceed, then you’d pay those charges upon completion. If you choose to decline service, then the watch is sent back as is.

You can always ask too see the full paperwork to verify that all visual aspects match the warranty card. At least then you’ll know about aftermarket modifications.

I’d also use an escrow service like PayPal that gives you enough time to have authenticity verified upon receipt.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:09 PM   #10
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Post some pictures here

Many people will help you especially if they spot something wrong
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:28 PM   #11
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
An AD without a watchmaker in house is of no use. Your average SA is not capable to verify a watch other than the most obvious which you can see yourself.

Other AD’s may be reluctant or refuse. They need to remove the bracelet, open the case etc. You know what the reaction will be of the customer if this causes a tiny scratch. Too much trouble and nothing to gain.

You can send your watch to an RSC for a service estimate. Than you will learn if it is wrong.

Best is the obvious: If you don’t trust the seller than don’t buy.

In the FS section there is a part ROLEX BOUTIQUES. These guys have sold thousands of watches and have much more knowledge than your average AD. Nothing to worry going this route. Not the cheapest but peace of mind must be worth that extra
Old 3 August 2021, 11:57 PM   #12
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Buying the seller does not make a watch authentic. Plenty of people got stuck with a lemon after buying it from a "reputable" seller. The only way to ensure that you are getting what you paid for is to arrange to meet the person at a site where the watchmaker can open the case back and authenticate it inside and out. Or buy new.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 12:29 AM   #13
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Buying the seller does not make a watch authentic. Plenty of people got stuck with a lemon after buying it from a "reputable" seller. The only way to ensure that you are getting what you paid for is to arrange to meet the person at a site where the watchmaker can open the case back and authenticate it inside and out. Or buy new.
This. Even trusted sellers do not open the caseback to verify. Wasn't there a thread recently about a fake movement inside an otherwise genuine watch?
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 12:32 AM   #14
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGRLX View Post
I get the buy the seller, and I plan to. The previous post was correct…. You can buy the seller as much as you want but you have to remember you are also buying the seller that sold to your seller and that person you do not know. People seem to forget about that.

Yep - agree. As dannyp mentioned - if you’re buying a BNIB discontinued model the paperwork should give you a clue about the dial at least.

But the Gold Standard of authenticity is the RSC. Only they can check the Rolex theft report and access the database of dial/bezel with which that watch was originally built.

Old 4 August 2021, 01:49 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yep - agree. As dannyp mentioned - if you’re buying a BNIB discontinued model the paperwork should give you a clue about the dial at least.

But the Gold Standard of authenticity is the RSC. Only they can check the Rolex theft report and access the database of dial/bezel with which that watch was originally built.

Curious, if you called RSC with a serial number, would they confirm bracelet/dial/bezel as well as it not being stolen?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:03 AM   #16
77T

Checking authenticity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Curious, if you called RSC with a serial number, would they confirm bracelet/dial/bezel as well as it not being stolen?

No, the watch itself must be presented either in person or via shipping it to RSC. Keeping a theft registry is a great service IMHO.

Once upon a time, I have been told, ADs had access but that stopped years ago.

Old 4 August 2021, 04:06 AM   #17
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Rolex will not answer those questions on the phone. Either take it to an AD that has a watchmaker who knows what they’re doing to open it up or take it to Rolex and tell them it’s not running right. They will take a look.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 05:27 AM   #18
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
This. Even trusted sellers do not open the caseback to verify.
They don’t have to if they bought it from an AD
Old 4 August 2021, 05:30 AM   #19
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
bring it to RSC, tell them you bought it preowned with no service history. Ask them to check it out and see if it requires service.

Unofficially, if they come back to you with a formal estimate, your watch is almost definitely good to go. If there's even one piece of the watch (bezel, dial, bracelet, etc) that's fake, they will let you know.

Alternatively you could also pay for an insurance appraisal which I believe is about $150, or at least it used to be.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 08:04 AM   #20
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
Try one of the guys that advertise on the forum such as Davidsw or Nashville watch. You’ll have more piece of mind
Absolutely.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 08:25 AM   #21
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
bring it to RSC, tell them you bought it preowned with no service history. Ask them to check it out and see if it requires service.

Unofficially, if they come back to you with a formal estimate, your watch is almost definitely good to go. If there's even one piece of the watch (bezel, dial, bracelet, etc) that's fake, they will let you know.

Alternatively you could also pay for an insurance appraisal which I believe is about $150, or at least it used to be.
This. A family member of mine recently had the bracelet of a watch sized at the RSC in NYC. When they went to make the adjustments, they said it would take them “about 15-20 minutes,” which is obviously longer than it takes to take out links. They then returned with the properly sized bracelet and a sort of “receipt” that they kept (but which I glanced at and noticed had details about the watch on it). My understanding is that if they handle the watch, they verify its status along with whatever else they are doing.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote