The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 August 2021, 07:33 AM   #31
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Would add that there’s something special about the raised crystal too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep forgot about that.

I also like a watch with size and heft, to a certain degree, nothing over 42 of course.

So out of my sig line what gets worn the most are those. SkyD, Exp II, SDK, but newly acquired RG RB is gonna leave em all in the dust I feel.

Even if so SDK is staying put. I would actually let the 116500 go before I’d let the SDK go. Call me crazy but it’s true
Old 2 August 2021, 08:26 AM   #32
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I did a one-on-one swap of a 2-year old TT Blue Sub for a brand new SD4K a few years ago at a grey dealer. At the time, the market value of the Sub was about equal to the MSRP of the SD 4K so it was a fair exchange.

No regrets - the SD4K gets much more wrist time than the Sub did.

I appreciate the fact that it's never been a popular watch, even in its previous incarnation. Does this matter to me? Not a bit, if it did I wouldn't have flipped a hugely popular watch to get it.

However, I also appreciate that when spending thousands on a watch, popularity and the potential resale that it implies might matter to others.

To each his or her own.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:50 AM   #33
Alex71168
"TRF" Member

I have a SD4K along with most other sports models and have to say I think it is one of the nicest and also most comfortable to wear. It is so much better looking than any of the maxi case watches which I also own btw. Am I biased no, I love it and think you need to wear it to really appreciate it, when I got it I liked it now I love it and it’s one of my favourites.
Is it undervalued? Maybe, maybe not I think the Hulk is overvalued and the new Cermit because they are hype watches, long term the SD4K will hopefully be seen as a classic watch, it was produced in limit numbers and collectors will want one because they don’t have one. I certainly won’t be selling mine anytime soon. Unless I get a crazy offer! Lol
Alex71168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:53 AM   #34
Cooltimewatches
Banned

Watch: Rolex Daytona
My understanding is the cost of demand. It really affects model prices, but I'm sure it will gain more value in the future. More valued later as a vintage.
Cooltimewatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 09:06 AM   #35
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I covet the SD4K in 40mm. But as I've gotten older I have come to appreciate the magnifying window on the Subs and GMTs.

I am easily seduced by specs. That's a big part of why I originally bought the DSSD. But the overall geometry of the DSSD just wasn't my cup of tea, so I traded it for my grail, the 16710 BLRO. I was afraid a 40mm watch would look like a nickel strapped to my 7 3/4" wrist, another reason the DSSD, and not a GMT, was my first Rolex watch. I was sporting a 45.5mm Omega Seamaster at the time and had a penchant for watches that entered a room a full ten seconds before I did. :) But tastes change and I was looking for less wrist presence. I finally decided to take the plunge and try the watch I'd been coveting since Magnum PI in 1984. Discovering that I did indeed love a 40mm watch I've been casually hunting for an SD4K.
Old 2 August 2021, 02:34 PM   #36
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
The SD4K is a master piece. The absence of a cyclops, matte dial, HeV, graduated bezel markers are some characteristics that make it unique and interesting. I care little for it’s resale value as I’ll never sell, but for aficionados who don’t want another Rolex Submariner, the Sea Dweller is the one.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:00 PM   #37
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby100 View Post
Every day there is a thread like this. Almost like a lot of you have stocked up on this particular model and are rolling your thumb. What a sad state modern watch collecting has become.
Agreed, just saw a grey/member asking about $20k for it, hopefully since this watch is mostly for true aficionados it wont get caught up in all ridiculous flipper riffraff.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:04 PM   #38
Brew
"TRF" Member

Is there anything about the actual watch that makes you think the market isn't valuing it properly, or is this just a numbers game?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:13 PM   #39
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Undervalued assets…..once again, TRF is more stock market, less watches.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:32 PM   #40
jssans
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
It's a thick watch. Not for everyone.
That being said it's just as rare or more difficult to obtain from an AD.
I've been on the list for months & not a sound. And i'm nowhere near an ocean!
jssans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 08:41 PM   #41
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
I love mine and wear it now and then, its a nice contrast to the slimness of the Exp I and 5167. Fits into my collection nicely, better than the DSSD did.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 09:26 PM   #42
shalako
"TRF" Member

I would say the same if I had one to sell, good thinking…….
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 10:02 PM   #43
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssans View Post
It's a thick watch. Not for everyone.
That being said it's just as rare or more difficult to obtain from an AD.
I've been on the list for months & not a sound. And i'm nowhere near an ocean!
Yea I think you will be on the SD4k waitlist for a long time lol……it’s discontinued

Don’t hold your breath lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:40 PM   #44
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. Superlative View Post
the sd4k is a master piece. The absence of a cyclops, matte dial, hev, graduated bezel markers are some characteristics that make it unique and interesting. I care little for it’s resale value as i’ll never sell, but for aficionados who don’t want another rolex submariner, the sea dweller is the one.
+1

IMG_20210609_111318_798.jpg
Old 3 August 2021, 09:42 PM   #45
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
No, they are all overvalued at this point and have far outpaced inflation. Sorry, but given the price difference between the SD you reference and the seiko tuna for example, sorry both are tough and the Rolex is not that much better a watch to justify the price difference. Oh and both are “in house”.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 01:30 AM   #46
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I don't think any Rolexes are under or overvalued in the current market. The speculation and traffic are so intense every model is pretty much valued at what people are willing to pay for it.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:35 AM   #47
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpatcan1 View Post
Does anyone else share this opinion?

With its very short production run and great proportions, I can’t help but think its massively undervalued when you compare its market price to that of the new subs/divers Rolex offers. It’s roughly selling for 8-10k less than a hulk for god sake, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s 100 LVs to SD4Ks out in the wild.
Whatever value SD4K has only for 1 reason that it's discontinued and short production run. Before that happened, it wasn't even moving from shelves. Secondly, popularity doesn't come short production. Hulk, Pepsi & Daytona are popular models and will continue to remain so, SD4K not so much!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:49 AM   #48
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

The 116600 is the best modern Rolex currently aside from the SD43.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 08:13 AM   #49
bob sims
Banned

The new ones are one of the few models you can likely get from a dealer so that should tell you their popularity. They should put them out in green, red, tiffany blue and yellow to give them a boost.
In black, I'd take a white explorer over the SD 100 days out of 100. Same with the blue millgaus.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 10:39 AM   #50
kpeco
Banned

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Many good points brought up here. The raised crystal is awesome along with no cyclops. Plus, it’s cool never seeing anyone else with the same watch on.
kpeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 04:24 PM   #51
carbon888
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Cyclops l SD43
I love my SD43 and will never sell. I care less about the resale value b/c the retail price is what's it's actually worth, not the grey market.
carbon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 04:34 PM   #52
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Not sure how to answer that question but I will say that it is arguably one of the best references Rolex has ever released in the history of the company in my opinion… That may be a bold statement. But it’s the truth!

And it’s the only six digit reference that I’ve ever truly liked…
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 05:51 PM   #53
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
i agree with this assessment.
+1.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote