The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 June 2021, 10:26 PM   #91
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Just curious what’s msrp in CAD for the pt CS? When I use to shop AP at the place on bloor prices were always much higher than in the states msrp to msrp. So much it was basically impossible for me to shop AP there even though they, at the time, had great stock.
Old 23 June 2021, 10:31 PM   #92
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
Ok so if you know now that the watch takes a 40-50% drop in value as soon as you walk out of the boutique today, would you still buy it? If your answer is Yes, then go for it. If your answer is No, then you actually don't like the piece that much and should pass on it.
That's my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
There's a very good way to approach it
Why stop at 40-50%? Why not 75%? Isn't that a better test of your love?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2021, 11:00 PM   #93
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Just curious what’s msrp in CAD for the pt CS? When I use to shop AP at the place on bloor prices were always much higher than in the states msrp to msrp. So much it was basically impossible for me to shop AP there even though they, at the time, had great stock.
In Canada, there is no "M" in "MSRP" for FPJ watches. It fluctuates a lot depending on the CAD/USD exchange rate of the week.

My buddy bought a PT CS last August from the sole Toronto AD and it was in the low 50k's plus tax.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 03:54 AM   #94
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftycomfort View Post
In Canada, there is no "M" in "MSRP" for FPJ watches. It fluctuates a lot depending on the CAD/USD exchange rate of the week.

My buddy bought a PT CS last August from the sole Toronto AD and it was in the low 50k's plus tax.

Ahh I see. Possible they run a bit higher over there. Wouldn’t surprise me.
Old 24 June 2021, 08:22 AM   #95
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thoughts on white dial vs Havana?

After all this talk, I broke down and have my name down for a white dial Pt CS. Will not know ETA until end of year.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 08:26 AM   #96
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
Ok so if you know now that the watch takes a 40-50% drop in value as soon as you walk out of the boutique today, would you still buy it? If your answer is Yes, then go for it. If your answer is No, then you actually don't like the piece that much and should pass on it.
That's my opinion.

Agreed. Treat it as a hobby and the money is paid for the enjoyment.

When you buy that $1000 Lafite, your final goal is to drink the wine and not having someone else drink it, correct?
Old 24 June 2021, 12:39 PM   #97
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
After all this talk, I broke down and have my name down for a white dial Pt CS. Will not know ETA until end of year.

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 June 2021, 01:55 AM   #98
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Nice!

That's why my wife is banning me from this forum soon.
Old 25 June 2021, 02:53 AM   #99
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

OP, did you buy that Havana yesterday? Pics? Don't leave us hanging.
Old 25 June 2021, 05:10 AM   #100
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
48k+tax for platinum
about 4/5k less for RG.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 05:17 AM   #101
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftycomfort View Post
OP, did you buy that Havana yesterday? Pics? Don't leave us hanging.
Alright boys, first I want to thank everyone for their help this past week. I appreciate each and every one of you.

I had a lovely experience at the AD. Had a great chat and bonding time with the SA. After seeing the Havana dial, I must admit that I did not fall in love. I usually do like brown on watches, but the dial was a bit too creamy and one dimensional for my liking. I found myself looking at the rear case back for a view of the caliber 1304 much more than looking at the dial.

I had a chance to also see a RG Quetiemme Perpetual and THAT was a stunner. I spent plenty of time staring at that dial. But at $100k, not a starter piece. Would rather save an extra 50k and go for the resonance if we're going high complications.

But seeing how mesmorized I was by the QP dial, but not the CS dial, told me that the CS isn't the one for me. I'd rather it go to someone who loves it. I know it wouldn't get much wrist time. And I'm not interested in buying pieces just to flip them.

So I passed on the Platinum CS Havana dial.

...However! I did get my name on the list for an Elegante 48mm. The SA was very supportive of my desire for that piece and seemed to appreciate that I'm in to watch collecting for the right reasons, so let's hope I have the opportunity to purchase one soon. I'm also going to start researching the high complications piece and decide which I want to start saving up for because I do want a classique model one day.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 05:44 AM   #102
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Hope it works out for you with the elegante. No point in buying a watch that expensive you don’t enjoy fully.

I’m glad the border is closed or I would be on the QEW
Old 25 June 2021, 08:05 AM   #103
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

You made the right call, OP. Good luck on the elegante.

It was John T. that you dealt with, wasn’t it?
Old 25 June 2021, 09:12 AM   #104
mchen42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Alright boys, first I want to thank everyone for their help this past week. I appreciate each and every one of you.

I had a lovely experience at the AD. Had a great chat and bonding time with the SA. After seeing the Havana dial, I must admit that I did not fall in love. I usually do like brown on watches, but the dial was a bit too creamy and one dimensional for my liking. I found myself looking at the rear case back for a view of the caliber 1304 much more than looking at the dial.

I had a chance to also see a RG Quetiemme Perpetual and THAT was a stunner. I spent plenty of time staring at that dial. But at $100k, not a starter piece. Would rather save an extra 50k and go for the resonance if we're going high complications.

But seeing how mesmorized I was by the QP dial, but not the CS dial, told me that the CS isn't the one for me. I'd rather it go to someone who loves it. I know it wouldn't get much wrist time. And I'm not interested in buying pieces just to flip them.

...However! I did get my name on the list for an Elegante 48mm. The SA was very supportive of my desire for that piece and seemed to appreciate that I'm in to watch collecting for the right reasons, so let's hope I have the opportunity to purchase one soon. I'm also going to start researching the high complications piece and decide which I want to start saving up for because I do want a classique model one day.

Then, I do want the Havana CS. Would you mind telling more how to get this piece? Thanks.

mchen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2021, 10:46 PM   #105
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
You did the right thing - that should go along way.

I've always been a believer that you know immediately whether a piece is for you or not.
Old 25 June 2021, 11:46 PM   #106
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchen42 View Post
Then, I do want the Havana CS. Would you mind telling more how to get this piece? Thanks.

Find a coyote to sneak you across the northern border. I’d recommend somewhere near thousand islands. Drive to the only Journe AD they have. Bring leafs tickets center ice and a wad of cash. Find out it’s already been sold to the next guy in line
Old 26 June 2021, 02:13 AM   #107
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great job of resisting the temptation of “I must get this since it is rare”! I personally am guilty of this sickness.

If you are looking for a Journe complication, the first choice is definitely the Resonance, I don’t think anyone can argue against it. I am still amazed at both the dial work and the movement every time I looked at it under the loupe.

The Chronometre Optimum will also be a signature piece since this is the one which is supposed to be made for Journe himself to wear. I personally do not fall in love with the look but the technical side is undeniably attractive. Research into natural escapement and you may fall in love with it.

I was bitten by the Tourbillion bug lately but have decided that the current Journe Tourbillion is not my cup of tea because of the bulk. I don’t mind bulk as a sports watch but a bulky Journe dress watch just does not feel right.

Good luck on your wait for the Elegante!

BTW, due to this thread, I ordered a Pt CS for myself. I have always loved the simplicity of the CS and all these talks pushed me over the edge.
Old 26 June 2021, 05:49 AM   #108
mchen42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Find a coyote to sneak you across the northern border. I’d recommend somewhere near thousand islands. Drive to the only Journe AD they have. Bring leafs tickets center ice and a wad of cash. Find out it’s already been sold to the next guy in line

The ending is true. I have contacted them

mchen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 02:56 PM   #109
connor109
"TRF" Member

How does it wear on your wrist? 48 lug to lug is a little long.
connor109 is offline   Reply With Quote