The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 July 2021, 07:38 AM   #31
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I thought the trick was to put the celebrities on the waiting list and sell to the others, so the celebs would pop in often asking where is their watch etc., and that way you would become best friends and exchange numbers.

Tell me which AD to call and I'll ask them.
https://www.patek.com/en/retail-serv...zed-retailers/

Don’t really get what you’re getting at. Are you doubting the fact that other things than pure spending history, such as social clout, can influence allocations and/or waiting list outcomes?
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 07:40 AM   #32
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Like anything, its relationships. Some watches have a massive upside on the secondary market, when they sell you this watch they know they are giving you money. If you've owned some of these models for several years, haven't sold them and stayed in touch with the AD they will put you on a higher priority list. For something lucrative like a 5711 in green you would most likely need a lengthy relationship comprised of some high end pieces. I'm sure if you went in and bought a minute repeater tho you would rocket to the top of the list. If they see you want the classic Pateks and have the dough you are more desirable in their eyes then a guy who walks off the street wanting a 5711 or 5167.. just my 0.02
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 09:14 AM   #33
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Like anything, its relationships. Some watches have a massive upside on the secondary market, when they sell you this watch they know they are giving you money. If you've owned some of these models for several years, haven't sold them and stayed in touch with the AD they will put you on a higher priority list. For something lucrative like a 5711 in green you would most likely need a lengthy relationship comprised of some high end pieces. I'm sure if you went in and bought a minute repeater tho you would rocket to the top of the list. If they see you want the classic Pateks and have the dough you are more desirable in their eyes then a guy who walks off the street wanting a 5711 or 5167.. just my 0.02

I thought MP is an application piece which you need a long spend history to be qualified? I would think that someone who’s qualified for a MP would probably have their share of Nautilus or Aquanaut already.

My AD feels that I need to get some more pieces before I can apply for a MP and I am on the list with firm delivery dates for aquanaut and nautilus. So I feel like that trying to get a MP is probably harder than an aquanaut or nautilus.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 04:45 AM   #34
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I thought MP is an application piece which you need a long spend history to be qualified? I would think that someone who’s qualified for a MP would probably have their share of Nautilus or Aquanaut already.

My AD feels that I need to get some more pieces before I can apply for a MP and I am on the list with firm delivery dates for aquanaut and nautilus. So I feel like that trying to get a MP is probably harder than an aquanaut or nautilus.
That is correct......^^^.....

Would like to add this information......

If you qualified for an application piece the Certificate Of Origin will be issue with all your information in typing style form Patek Philippe Geneve..... Unlike regular Certificate Of Origin where AD filled out by handwriting at the time of purchase.....

If you reject an application piece for some reasons when picking it up, AD is not allow to sell it to someone else..... They are instruct to send it back to Patek Philippe Geneve......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 04:55 AM   #35
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
That is correct......^^^.....

Would like to add this information......

If you qualified for an application piece the Certificate Of Origin will be issue with all your information in typing style form Patek Philippe Geneve..... Unlike regular Certificate Of Origin where AD filled out by handwriting at the time of purchase.....

If you reject an application piece for some reasons when picking it up, AD is not allow to sell it to someone else..... They are instruct to send it back to Patek Philippe Geneve......

So that’s why I was offered a MP last month but someone else name will be there. It was not the one I was looking for and also I don’t want someone else’s name on it so I have to decline.
Old 10 July 2021, 05:00 AM   #36
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I probably gonna ask a stupid question but why do you guys refer minute repeater as MP and not MR?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:08 AM   #37
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I probably gonna ask a stupid question but why do you guys refer minute repeater as MP and not MR?
Probably a typo. Minute Repeaters are usually abbreviated as MR.

AFAIK TS still checks the sound of each MR before they are approved for sale. If he doesn't like the way it sounds, the watch goes back to get re-tuned.

Patek know their high-end clients who receive the MRs. It is not likely that a new Patek owner will order a MR and get allocated one. However every once in a while, a collector backs out and the AD is somewhat "stuck" with an expensive piece. The AD would rather sell it to someone else and along with it receive the profit on the sale of these expensive watches, rather than send it back to Patek.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 06:22 AM   #38
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

AFAIK TS still checks the sound of each MR before they are approved for sale. If he doesn't like the way it sounds, the watch goes back to get re-tuned.

Patek know their high-end clients who receive the MRs. It is not likely that a new Patek owner will order a MR and get allocated one. However every once in a while, a collector backs out and the AD is somewhat "stuck" with an expensive piece. The AD would rather sell it to someone else and along with it receive the profit on the sale of these expensive watches, rather than send it back to Patek.
Yeah I think for the launch of the 6301P there was a video showing TS and PS both inspecting the MR and that TS was taught to listen the MR from a young age and to continue the tradition. I thought that was pretty cool.
Though for those paying that kind of money, doubt anyone would buy one without their name on it. Buying a watch without name on the card/paper sort of take the connection one develops with the watch.
Old 10 July 2021, 06:28 AM   #39
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I think for the launch of the 6301P there was a video showing TS and PS both inspecting the MR and that TS was taught to listen the MR from a young age and to continue the tradition. I thought that was pretty cool.
Though for those paying that kind of money, doubt anyone would buy one without their name on it. Buying a watch without name on the card/paper sort of take the connection one develops with the watch.

My dream Patek MR will be either a 5078G-001 or 5178G-001. And you are absolutely correct that having someone else name on the paper is not acceptable.

My goal is to get a Tourbillion and/or a minute repeater to end my addiction
Old 10 July 2021, 06:34 AM   #40
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
My dream Patek MR will be either a 5078G-001 or 5178G-001. And you are absolutely correct that having someone else name on the paper is not acceptable.

My goal is to get a Tourbillion and/or a minute repeater to end my addiction
I honestly doubt it will ever end though haha. After Patek, there are other brands to explore like MB&F with the Evo Perpetual. Anyway I shall not hijack this thread any longer. Good luck to everyone and hope everyone gets the pieces they desire. Cheers!
Old 10 July 2021, 06:47 AM   #41
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I honestly doubt it will ever end though haha. After Patek, there are other brands to explore like MB&F with the Evo Perpetual. Anyway I shall not hijack this thread any longer. Good luck to everyone and hope everyone gets the pieces they desire. Cheers!

Please do not tell that to my wife
Old 10 July 2021, 08:20 AM   #42
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The AD would rather sell it to someone else and along with it receive the profit on the sale of these expensive watches, rather than send it back to Patek.
That's because Patek charges the equivalent of a restocking fee.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 08:37 AM   #43
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Wait lists are real at my AD. Any SA can look up which position I am at for which model and when I expressed my interest. On that basis they can give me a rough idea how long it will still take based on the number of pieces they get per year. The allocation of Nautilus and Aquanaut requires approval of the owner though and I wouldn't rule out that you can jump the line with big purchases. They got me a 5711 blue as a new customer in 2018 after waiting almost 3 years in line with the initial estimate. Problem is that they tend to close their wait lists for new customers when the expected wait reaches 10 years which is the case for lots of watches these days.
this is how it should be.
i've been told that there's people on the list for 10yrs with good purchase history here locally. and not even any clue of when i would get an allocation.

i don't mind line jumping by the whales, but there has to be some loyalty reciprocated by they ad for the less wealthy. kind of like affirmative action
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 08:40 AM   #44
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:

holy smokes, that's some qa if i ever heard of it. !
these are some serious pieces. top off any collection

i read that FP is actually made by a variety of qualified persons and i wonder how that compares to the PP watch making process. i realize the production numbers are drastically different
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 12:09 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Does Patek take these watches back? I would tend to doubt that, which is why some MRs turn up soon on the secondary market. The key for the AD is to require a substantial down payment on an application piece which can take several years to deliver.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 01:51 AM   #46
lovewatches1987
"TRF" Member

Easy as this: The more money you spend, the better chances you have... especially if you buy undesirable models from their showcase
lovewatches1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 10:44 AM   #47
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
If you're lucky, find an AD that sells brands you love + Patek and shop there. It is pointless to spend a ton of $ on things you won't care about, but if you actually love certain off-the-beaten-path models, you can help the AD and they'll help you. I love JLC, IWC, and GO and this certainly helped with having conversations and getting on lists with more or less dedicated timeframe.

If you're just in for a single watch, go grey.
Old 25 July 2021, 11:39 AM   #48
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Want the truth op ? Forget buying from an ad ANY desirable piece! My Ad was delisted for some reason - I have never resold any pieces I bought with my name on certificate. Now No One Will even put me on a wait list . I even wrote to Patek twice and they could care less. If you want a desirable piece ether buy grey or forget Patek , sadly :-((
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:54 AM   #49
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Want the truth op ? Forget buying from an ad ANY desirable piece! My Ad was delisted for some reason - I have never resold any pieces I bought with my name on certificate. Now No One Will even put me on a wait list . I even wrote to Patek twice and they could care less. If you want a desirable piece ether buy grey or forget Patek , sadly :-((
Indeed. This here is something Patek should be paying attention do when they close AD accounts, but they really never do.

Lots of collectors with multi-year and very big $$$ histories that get lost in the black hole as a result.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 05:26 AM   #50
svevern
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP - 5726
Try not to buy only hot cookies and buy watches from different brands.
svevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 06:53 AM   #51
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svevern View Post
Try not to buy only hot cookies and buy watches from different brands.

My AD told me that buying other brands will not help much with application piece as Patek only look at what you own under your name in their registry. Family does count though as I have been putting all men’s model under my son’s name and women ones under my daughter’s.
Old 16 August 2021, 01:52 AM   #52
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Buy perpetual calendars
This. Walk in and buy one at full price. Visit the AD often wearing the watch. You will then be placed on a list, if you ask. How long the wait depends on how many long term big customers jump the line.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote