The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 August 2021, 03:09 PM   #1
HarveyMushman
"TRF" Member

1971 Tudor 7021

Hi

Long time lurker first time posted. I am looking at a black dial 1971 Tudor 7021 to buy but a few there are a few things standing out I am not overly sure on, hoping some one here may be able to assist.

The bracelet is stamped 9315, I have read it that could be a legitimate code for the year?

The clasp has a Tudor stamp not Rolex is that period correct?

The owner has swapped out the plexiglass with a domed one but doesn't have the original. Is it going to be difficult to rectify that?

The bezel looks quite clean in particular the 12 o clock pip has not discoloured as the dial markers have.....I understand a lot of the later Rolex Subs are interchangeable but if that is the case how much would it devalue the watch by?

I had been looking for a 9411 but this came up and appears on the face of it a good price but the above has me pondering the reasons for that.

Couple of pics added.

Any advice, opinions very much appreciated.

Cheers
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 03:11 PM   #2
HarveyMushman
"TRF" Member

I need more points to post the images so I will come back with the images shortly :)
Old 23 August 2021, 03:31 PM   #3
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Hi

Long time lurker first time posted. I am looking at a black dial 1971 Tudor 7021 to buy but a few there are a few things standing out I am not overly sure on, hoping some one here may be able to assist.

The bracelet is stamped 9315, I have read it that could be a legitimate code for the year?

The clasp has a Tudor stamp not Rolex is that period correct?

The owner has swapped out the plexiglass with a domed one but doesn't have the original. Is it going to be difficult to rectify that?

The bezel looks quite clean in particular the 12 o clock pip has not discoloured as the dial markers have.....I understand a lot of the later Rolex Subs are interchangeable but if that is the case how much would it devalue the watch by?

I had been looking for a 9411 but this came up and appears on the face of it a good price but the above has me pondering the reasons for that.

Couple of pics added.

Any advice, opinions very much appreciated.

Cheers
Hi there, welcome.

You could simply upload pictures to a third party site and then just link them to this thread.

9315 bracelet code makes sense to me (Tudor would have used Rolex bracelets in the earlier days). If the Clasp is stamped Tudor - likely the whole bracelet has been replaced in a recent service. What does the end links say? 380B?

Bezel insert for Tudor interchangeable with Rolex of the same era.

I think I know which watch you're referring to. if so, price is okay but acknowledging:

1) dial is service replacement and likely hands too
2) bezel also service replacement
3) bracelet also service replacement

None of these are fatal issues but just something to consider.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 03:53 PM   #4
HarveyMushman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the response, having a few issues with the image links but working on that.

As you're in Australia you probably have seen the one I am referring too, I have emailed for more info but no response as yet.

From what I can see the end link is 380B. With all that being replaced which was my suspicion I think I would prefer to spend more and try to find an original somewhere. I actually prefer it in blue anyway but this seemed a good price...for a reason I suppose.

Thanks again for your info, much appreciated.
Old 23 August 2021, 03:56 PM   #5
HarveyMushman
"TRF" Member

Also need to proof read my posts before submitting, glad you could make sense of all that
Old 23 August 2021, 04:01 PM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response, having a few issues with the image links but working on that.

As you're in Australia you probably have seen the one I am referring too, I have emailed for more info but no response as yet.

From what I can see the end link is 380B. With all that being replaced which was my suspicion I think I would prefer to spend more and try to find an original somewhere. I actually prefer it in blue anyway but this seemed a good price...for a reason I suppose.

Thanks again for your info, much appreciated.
No worries, I think the asking price isn't outrageous. Obviously an all original 7021 would fetch for more.

One thing to consider is many of the 9411 (especially black dial) were prone to "pimpling". Some people call it patina and love it but I dislike it and frankly think its a time bomb waiting for those areas to eventually flaked off completely. So a service dial is actually not a bad outcome as they were manufactured by a different supplier and holds up much better.

Just something to think about as you go on your adventure for the right one!
Old 23 August 2021, 04:24 PM   #7
mineral
"TRF" Member

The “period correct” dial or insert are more important than period correct bracelet in my view. Most of the bracelet may had been replaced due to wear and tear.

FYI the correct bracelet should be 7836 with Rolex clasp logo for 1971 Tudor sub. However it is not deal breaker if you have newer bracelet and if the price is right certainly worth to consider.

One more thing to look out is the date wheel should be roulette date (red and black font) for 7021/0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 August 2021, 05:11 PM   #8
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Bezel insert for Tudor interchangeable with Rolex of the same era.
In theory, yes, but in practice, often not.

I've found that trying to swap these 50-year-old inserts/bezels from watch to watch often doesn't work due to changes in tolerance/wear/shape over the years.

They're often either so loose that they fall off or are too tight to fit.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2021, 11:02 PM   #9
HarveyMushman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info, I'll get some pics up soon it's priced a fraction over $10k AUD which is about $7k USD.

I have since found out the bezel insert has been replaced (the pip glows and obviously shouldn't) It does have roulette date and the code on the clasp is P10.
Old 23 August 2021, 11:41 PM   #10
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I'll get some pics up soon it's priced a fraction over $10k AUD which is about $7k USD.

I have since found out the bezel insert has been replaced (the pip glows and obviously shouldn't) It does have roulette date and the code on the clasp is P10.
As I said, the dial, bezel, hands and bracelet are all service replaced parts. None are period correct.

It’s listed on their website btw… assuming we’re talking about the same one
Old 24 August 2021, 09:07 AM   #11
HarveyMushman
"TRF" Member

I think we are :) I'm probably going to leave this one....it feels a bit like Triggers broom.
Old 24 August 2021, 09:14 AM   #12
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think we are :) I'm probably going to leave this one....it feels a bit like Triggers broom.
see if the dealer can move a bit on price.

The reality is it's probably hard to find a snowflake for under A$10K - unless i have missed the market movement somewhere.
Old 24 August 2021, 09:56 AM   #13
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
As I said, the dial, bezel, hands and bracelet are all service replaced parts. None are period correct.

It’s listed on their website btw… assuming we’re talking about the same one

How do the service dials differ from the original dials?

MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:17 AM   #14
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChamfers View Post
How do the service dials differ from the original dials?

submariner text font
Old 24 August 2021, 11:10 AM   #15
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
submariner text font
Thanks, I see what you mean.

MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote