The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 October 2021, 03:41 PM   #91
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
congratulations! the no date sub is my first rolex, suitable for any attire and occasions.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:16 PM   #92
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Good for you. Sadly, no amount of being an interested non-jerk will work in my neck of the woods (south NJ).
Direct quote from the AD: "You need to be a major customer to get any Rolex". Ok, I'll bite, "What does that mean?" AD: "Buy 150k in jewelry at a minimum before I'll consider selling you a sports model".

I was a little surprised at his direct approach, but I smiled and kept looking at other watches. Then, the manager of the year walks over and offers this: AD: "Why should I write you a check for $8,000"? I wasn't clear about what he meant, but never one to leave well enough alone, I asked "huh?".

AD:"I can get way over RRP for that watch by not selling it in the store"
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:31 PM   #93
Duckman25
"TRF" Member

Probably one of the few AD's I have come across that is not being a douche!
Duckman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 09:52 PM   #94
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT, YM,
This is where all the 3 stars line up…………. Relationship, Timing, and Funding.
Cesarmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:01 PM   #95
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO/EXPL
That’s how I got mine, just showed interest in watches in general and told him I was in no hurry for a sub but if my name comes up I’ll take one. Within a few months I got the call and couldn’t be happier. It’s my forever watch and the new sub date checks all the boxes. Huge congrats on yours, enjoy!

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:32 PM   #96
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Congratulation on your new watch but the AD did you no favours, as all ADs are in business for one thing only. That's to sell as many of there retail products they sell in there store, to any Tom,Dick or Harry with money to buy its that simple.
I have to disagree with you on this. ADs are in business to sell as much as they can to people with money over a lifetime, not to sell a steel Rolex to any douche that walks in with the money to buy one watch.

Since it is a long term, repeat customer ADs want to cultivate and they have the market power (they decide who gets the Sub, Daytona etc) they can choose to only deal with people that they enjoy doing business with. If you get me my watch and then I need to buy an engagement ring or anniversary present, who will I buy from? As the OP said, they made him a customer for life. That’s the business model you want if you are stuck beinfpg a retailer.

I do agree that a Breitling, Hublot or Panerai dealer is stuck with all of the Tom, Dick and Harry douches. Another reason that Rolex won’t or should not sell directly to consumers at retail: it’s business model is douche repellant on steroids.

To the OP: congrats on a nice collection!
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:40 PM   #97
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Wonderland View Post
Serious question - when was the last time you walked into an AD and attempted to purchase a Rolex? Is it at all possible you aren’t as well versed on the buying process in 2021 as you think you are?
I'm thinking the same thing. I know what it was like from my own experience in the 90s, 2000s, and up to maybe 5 years ago. If someone hasn't actually been into a Rolex AD in person since then, and only reads and posts on an internet forum, they would not know how much the entire experience has changed from what we were accustomed to for all of those years.

It is a night and day different experience right now. It's nothing at all like it was for decades and the more these comments are posted the more it shows just how completely out of touch some longtime members are with what is happening right now. We don't have to like it, but that is the reality right now. The used car buying experience is the same right now, too. Again, we don't have to like it, but right now the car buying experience is nothing like it used to be during this disruption.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:46 PM   #98
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. ADs are in business to sell as much as they can to people with money over a lifetime, not to sell a steel Rolex to any douche that walks in with the money to buy one watch.

Since it is a long term, repeat customer ADs want to cultivate and they have the market power (they decide who gets the Sub, Daytona etc) they can choose to only deal with people that they enjoy doing business with. If you get me my watch and then I need to buy an engagement ring or anniversary present, who will I buy from? As the OP said, they made him a customer for life. That’s the business model you want if you are stuck beinfpg a retailer.

I do agree that a Breitling, Hublot or Panerai dealer is stuck with all of the Tom, Dick and Harry douches. Another reason that Rolex won’t or should not sell directly to consumers at retail: it’s business model is douche repellant on steroids.
Sorry cannot agree with you and dont believe half of this AD stuff posted on forums. I wonder how Rolex ever sells any watches as there sure must be a lot of so called VIP buyers. Do these so called VIP customers buy up all the SS watches then sell them to the grey market. As there seems to be a lot of these so called hot watches all models at grey sellers at crazy prices. Or do you think that all ADs sell through the back door to the grey market, thus putting there business and livelihood in jeopardy. Or is it because many ordinarily Joe public buyers of SS watches,then flipping to the grey hopefully for profit, and speaking for myself just hate this mainly American term douche for anyone.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:03 PM   #99
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Congrats! Well done.
Old 6 October 2021, 11:05 PM   #100
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
There’s a lot of truth to this. If you suck, so to will your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:10 PM   #101
nr1416
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
Are Grey dealers somehow communicating on the availability of Submariners?

What are you talking about?
I can't count how many times I've heard grey dealers on YouTube like Roman, TPG, and others that say "Dont bother even going to a Rolex AD because you'll never get a Sub or GMT" and if they say you can it's with spending $100k+

Totally BS they spin to fuel the grey.

These watches are attainable with patience and the right attitude. IF you go into a AD demanding any steel sports on the spot, yes its impossible. Go in, show your a real buyer and not a flipper. Do ADs sell to the grey, yes some do but many ADs value their relationship with Rolex more then making a quick buck.
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:13 PM   #102
Becweb
Banned

Padi is 100% on spot, as practically always.
OP congrats on your acquisition but:
1) Any SA's job is to sell. They should not be thanked for "selecting you" for selling you a mass produced watch (albeit of good quality). It is this attitude that will never make buying some watches the same ever again
2) The vast majority of people who want to purchase a Rolex are nice and extremely polite, which is the attitude also expected from SA. Many of the SAs in Rolex boutiques and ADs now have a borderline condescending and arrogant way of talking to customers, yet they complain about the frustration of potential buyers?
What happened to the "customer is king" adage? Let me ask you this, if Biden or Trump went to your AD and was borderline rude, do you believe the AD would not sell to him?
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 11:42 PM   #103
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by HideMyWalletPlease View Post
Well if the secret is don’t be a d*** that’s bad news for many on the forum.
LOL, no wonder I can't get a watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
Don't listen to padi, he's the rudest and most annoying member on TRF
oooh, that's a pretty high bar! But yeah, go ahead and insult a moderator, who, in case you didn't know, can ban you with just one click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
I don't understand the negativity on this thread. Ugh.
Oh, I can. Jealousy, envy, don't-prove-me-wrong, etc.

I'm not. Congrats on your new watch (the best of them, IMHO). BTW, you are dating yourself with those movie references (all of which I got).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
... it’s business model is douche repellant on steroids.
LOL, nice.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 12:59 AM   #104
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
oooh, that's a pretty high bar! But yeah, go ahead and insult a moderator, who, in case you didn't know, can ban you with just one click.
Exactly. It's one thing to politely disagree with members and moderators and share a counter opinion, like we would all do if we were actually sitting together in a room in person sharing drinks and having this same conversation (truly a classical forum), and then another to cross over the line and insult. None of us would ever do that in person to each other over a simple sharing of ideas, so why do it here in the forum?
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 01:05 AM   #105
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations Adam, enjoy your Speedy and your Submariner

Being nice is just a good way to live life
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 01:10 AM   #106
bluetrain
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Great watch, congrats!

I generally agree with your assertion but if your local AD is a douche, then being nice and interested doesn´t matter.
bluetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 01:38 AM   #107
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Great story and Congratulations! It pays to be nice
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 01:56 AM   #108
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
Good for you. Sadly, no amount of being an interested non-jerk will work in my neck of the woods (south NJ).
Direct quote from the AD: "You need to be a major customer to get any Rolex". Ok, I'll bite, "What does that mean?" AD: "Buy 150k in jewelry at a minimum before I'll consider selling you a sports model"."
I just threw up in my mouth a little. This makes me so incredibly sad. I've heard this from a lot of my friends in NY and NJ. Probably the toughest place to get a watch. It also answers why I've been offered 3 subs here in MA and my old AD in CT near NYC where I've spent a measly, (apparently by their terms), 35K on watches in the past 2 years won't give me the time of day on a Rolex. Pun intended. And probably why they are now going to be my "former" AD.

I feel like we have entered Alice's wonderland but instead of the rabbit running around with a big Rolex clock, he's only got a Tag or Movado to sell.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 04:36 AM   #109
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Makes sense. My AD has given me that treatment for the same reasons. Congrats on finally being able to get your Sub!!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 04:38 AM   #110
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
very true
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote