The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 November 2021, 05:30 AM   #61
peterp
"TRF" Member

For 14-19 I would prefer new SUB. 39 white is ultimate OP for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bez tytułu.jpg (52.3 KB, 294 views)
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 05:39 AM   #62
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Having the funds or not, Spending 4X retail is just simply stupid. You would think people would have enough common sense no know when enough is enough. Like they say, A fool and his money ........
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 06:17 AM   #63
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

There are only a finite amount of folks willing to pay that kind of markup. For those who purchase to wear money be dammed, I can respect that. For speculators who purchase at 18K looking only to flip, don't be the last one holding your overpriced purchase when the music stops.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 01:46 PM   #64
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
A lot of us have the money, have zero intention of trading and don't give a ****

whether anyone else likes it or not.
That's different than it being a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 01:47 PM   #65
justin81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
More money than brains
justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 10:09 AM   #66
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goky View Post
If you know history well, you can foresee it repeating itself. 1920s America was just like that when something was selling for much more than its normal value and there was an incredible flow of money. The way to put a value on something was how wildly it was sold. The problem is that we are living in the same period right now. Cryptocurrency, uncontrolled flow of money and items that are overspent. Believe me, it won't take long. Maybe it's the 100th year of the great depression, that is, history may repeat itself in 2029.
A lot of us older folk will be dead by 2029 or close to it so we DO NOT CARE.
Between paying 20k for that stunner or getting $20 interest a year on a 0.10 CD or money market should be an easy choice. Especially if you don't need the money. And there's a TON of us that don't need the money.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 10:11 AM   #67
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Wow.
Old 12 November 2021, 10:15 AM   #68
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1isgod View Post
There are only a finite amount of folks willing to pay that kind of markup.
Finite, yes.
Fewer than the 3000 they make a year for the entire planet?
Not THAT finite.
Look at that dial! Then look at the truly obscene prices that the dime a dozen black faced mediocrities like the sub, explorer and air king get. And all of those have been produced for decades and now number in the millions with more being pumped out by the day.
Old 12 November 2021, 10:30 AM   #69
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I'm sorry but how is a watch that was $6000 a few short years ago in a white dial "worth" $25k because they changed the dial color. Do blue dials cost $19,000 to manufacture?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
How is a Patek worth 300k, A Mickey Mantle rookie card worth 6 million or a bottle of wine that passes through your kidneys into a toilet bowl worth 400k?
Some of you people are ticking me off so much I'm about getting ready to buy one myself...
Old 12 November 2021, 10:37 AM   #70
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
How is a Patek worth 300k, A Mickey Mantle rookie card worth 6 million or a bottle of wine that passes through your kidneys into a toilet bowl worth 400k?

Some of you people are ticking me off so much I'm about getting ready to buy one myself...
You are way too emotionally invested in this.

The Patek is just another example of the irrational hype, not an explanation of actual value. You should buy whatever you want. I doubt anyone here cares what you do with your money, we're just saying we wouldn't spend that much of ours on it.

Old 12 November 2021, 11:11 AM   #71
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOrthopod90 View Post
Was in NYC this weekend, OP41 Tiffany Blue for $19.5K in the Jewelry District. Absolutely ludicrous

I was there yesterday and saw it too… unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 11:19 AM   #72
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
I’m really confused by the reactions.

Supply/demand drives Rolex. Obviously people are demanding this watch over other OPs, as the price continued to climb relatively.

Separately, regardless of X over retail, people are paying hundreds of thousands on hideous Richard Mille watches. What’s 20k on a Rolex with few alternatives to the dial color when people are shelling out 10-20 times that on RM.

I have no skin in this game, nor desire to buy one, but have a feeling this will only continue to climb.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 11:48 AM   #73
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I think there are many here who struggle to differentiate between two elements...and more importantly to understand that it doesn't have to be one or the other...it can be both.

On one hand people are paying very high prices for relatively mundane watches purely because of a supply/demand balance. The key word here is demand, or desire...or want. Among people who want one there is a smaller set who will pay a lot of money. Because there are not thousands of them available those super waters will pay a high price.

But the rest of those who want one lose interest at that high price. They still play an important role in propping up the price even if they would tap out at a much lower price.

Then there are those who simply don't desire a Tiffany blue OP...maybe not even an OP at all. Unless they are also a speculator/investor, it's a $6500 watch.

Both (or is it 3) groups are right about it's value.

Old 12 November 2021, 12:14 PM   #74
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
I’m really confused by the reactions.

Separately, regardless of X over retail, people are paying hundreds of thousands on hideous Richard Mille watches. What’s 20k on a Rolex with few alternatives to the dial color when people are shelling out 10-20 times that on RM.

I have no skin in this game, nor desire to buy one, but have a feeling this will only continue to climb.
Old 12 November 2021, 12:15 PM   #75
GeoffEff
"TRF" Member

I'm going to be sick

Explorer 39mm 214270 --- Sub 41mm 124060 —-
GeoffEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 04:22 PM   #76
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
It's silly money to spend on a watch for sure. But unless you are paying it, it doesn't affect you.
What a low-IQ post. It is relevant and interesting as it is a sign of how crazy the market is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by effovex View Post
Let me ask: What percentage of the people buying an OP for $20k are buying it to actually wear/use and what percentage are buying it just to hold it because they expect the price to keeping on increasing (which they can then flip for a profit in a few months)?

20/80? 10/90?
Buying a watch that is already at that highly elevated price of 3x MSRP, in order to make a potential future profit, seems a bit too speculative to me! I would assume that 'most' are buying it to covet for its rarity and exclusiveness. However, I guess there are always some who take unwise risks like that or grey dealers who sell in enough volume that lower profit margins are acceptable.

Quote:
I'm sorry but how is a watch that was $6000 a few short years ago in a white dial "worth" $25k because they changed the dial color. Do blue dials cost $19,000 to manufacture?

Why are you very rhetorically asking 'if a dial costs 19k to manufacture', do you not understand the very basic concept of scarcity-driven market prices, otherwise known as supply and demand? The price of this OP has nothing to do with the cost of manufacture, as we all should well know by now.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 04:50 PM   #77
A-Wax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinthebay View Post

This is Batman and LV territory.
Those are *also* ludicrously overpriced :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
A-Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 07:53 PM   #78
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
If you took economics 101 in college, you learned that prices for goods and services are determined by what the market will bear. (i.e., the consumers and markets determine what a product is worth.)

Right now, a turquoise blue dial OP is worth almost $20k on the open market. Fundamentally, this no different than how market prices for real estate, fine art, vintage cars, or crypto currency are determined.

I’m always surprised by the number of people on this forum that seem to lack a basic understanding of supply and demand principles and basic economic concepts.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 08:41 PM   #79
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
What a low-IQ post. It is relevant and interesting as it is a sign of how crazy the market is.

Buying a watch that is already at that highly elevated price of 3x MSRP, in order to make a potential future profit, seems a bit too speculative to me! I would assume that 'most' are buying it to covet for its rarity and exclusiveness. However, I guess there are always some who take unwise risks like that or grey dealers who sell in enough volume that lower profit margins are acceptable.

Why are you very rhetorically asking 'if a dial costs 19k to manufacture', do you not understand the very basic concept of scarcity-driven market prices, otherwise known as supply and demand? The price of this OP has nothing to do with the cost of manufacture, as we all should well know by now.
You really didn't understand a single one of the posts you quoted.

Old 12 November 2021, 08:43 PM   #80
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
If you took economics 101 in college, you learned that prices for goods and services are determined by what the market will bear. (i.e., the consumers and markets determine what a product is worth.)

Right now, a turquoise blue dial OP is worth almost $20k on the open market. Fundamentally, this no different than how market prices for real estate, fine art, vintage cars, or crypto currency are determined.

I’m always surprised by the number of people on this forum that seem to lack a basic understanding of supply and demand principles and basic economic concepts.

I think the problem is that some are taking it well beyond the 101 level and some of those who think there is nothing to learn after 101 are lost.

Old 12 November 2021, 08:58 PM   #81
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Well it’s more like what buyers are willing to pay.
Agree up to a point but while there are those willing to pay these crazy prices the madness will not end. But today Rolex watches stopped being watches bought to be worn and enjoy several years ago. Now to many just $£€ object things, hey look at me I am wearing a hard to get Rolex as in states on YT and so called social media .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 09:17 PM   #82
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
$19k for an OP41!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Agree up to a point but while there are those willing to pay these crazy prices the madness will not end. But today Rolex watches stopped being watches bought to be worn and enjoy several years ago. Now to many just $£€ object things, hey look at me I am wearing a hard to get Rolex as in states on YT and so called social media .

Padi, it’s not just social media and buying for investments. My wife is going through a “Rolex -type” experience with certain handbag brands.

Social media just gives a brand more exposure. Great marketing from companies themselves or reviewers. Sure people want a product for the exclusivity to show off. There are still plenty of people out there driving up the price of watches and Chanel / Hermès bags by paying insane prices to wear it. All social media reminds me of marketing exposure from magazines buy vastly super-sized & in near real-time.

Then factor in people around the globe buying $39k for a Daytona w/ bitcoin profits.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 09:38 PM   #83
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:

I think they do but it gives the thread starter something to talk about. Same thread, same comments and same rebuttals in the Daytona, 5711, Hulk.....value threads. Other difference is the model name change. The rest is all the same.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 10:37 PM   #84
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
This is insane. Honestly, the Rolex market has made me completely lose interest in the brand.
Old 12 November 2021, 10:43 PM   #85
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
This is insane. Honestly, the Rolex market has made me completely lose interest in the brand.

Ditto.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 11:24 PM   #86
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Accepting the inflated prices driven by hype and artificially manufactured shortages requires you to allow others to make your decisions for you. I'd rather decide on my own what I am willing to pay and if the market wants more then I will look for a more sane option.

I don't see a basic OP as a $20,000 watch even if it will hold that value...which is questionable long term.

Old 12 November 2021, 11:26 PM   #87
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Having the funds or not, Spending 4X retail is just simply stupid. You would think people would have enough common sense no know when enough is enough. Like they say, A fool and his money ........
Some people with money just want to show off how much money they have to burn. Flexing by spending 4X more that an item in worth.
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 12:47 AM   #88
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
$19k for an OP41!

Quote:
Accepting the inflated prices driven by hype and artificially manufactured shortages requires you to allow others to make your decisions for you. I'd rather decide on my own what I am willing to pay and if the market wants more then I will look for a more sane option.

I don't see a basic OP as a $20,000 watch even if it will hold that value...which is questionable long term.

I’m not sure I follow. Everyone has control over whether they want to pay market price or not. You don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to.

It’s no different than someone paying $500,000 for a painting that others would never hang in their house. If someone wants the watch, they have to pay the market price.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 12:54 AM   #89
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not sure I follow. Everyone has control over whether they want to pay market price or not. You don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to.

It’s no different than someone paying $500,000 for a painting that others would never hang in their house. If someone wants the watch, they have to pay the market price.

I suppose if we are willing to put a blue dial mass produced watch in the same category as a one of a kind work of art then it would be hard to "follow".

Old 13 November 2021, 01:19 AM   #90
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Who cares what other people want to spend their money on
Smart people care. That is how you can learn how to make your money work for you.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote