The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 November 2021, 07:08 PM   #1
Glaze88
2024 Pledge Member

Explorer 2 16570 Polar Tritium vs Luminova?

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of adding a Explorer 2 16570 Polar and wanted to get some feedback on the Tritium Dial vs Luminova.

Is there a preference from a collector's point of view or why one might appreciate more than another?

Thanks in advance
Glaze88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 07:21 PM   #2
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Condition is EVERYTHING.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Glaze88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Condition is EVERYTHING.

Thanks. I just picked up a MINT Full Set 16570 Black Dial and looking to add a Polar version to the collection as well. I will be hard-pressed to find one as good as the Black Dial, but I'm sure they are out there somewhere.
Glaze88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Paka
Banned

Watch: IWC Big Pilot 5002
https://www.chrono24.fi/rolex/rolex-...id19684305.htm
or
https://www.chrono24.fi/rolex/rolex-...id19456310.htm

Both full-set and perfect dial.
Paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 08:46 PM   #5
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I prefer the dial lume & hands lighter patina on the second one, price is way better as well. Hopefully someone with suitable experience can comment on the condition of its case and bracelet for you.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 11:12 PM   #6
JBZ
"TRF" Member

While prices for 16570's have gone up recently (with polars being priced higher than black dials), I haven't noticed a particular difference between tritium vs. luminova dials.

As someone noted above, condition is really the main consideration with the price on these, as is whether box, papers, etc. are included. And examples with the 3186 movement (which are all luminova) go for substantially higher prices that those with the 3185.

So I'd say it comes down to what you prefer. If you want a tritium version showing some patina in the lume, then I say go for it. If you want something that will retain its working lume for years, then luminova is your better bet.

Essentially, decide which is more visually appealing to you and then buy the best example you can afford.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 11:20 PM   #7
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Everyone is different, but I wouldn't pay that much for a 16570 no matter how complete the set or perfect the dial. There are too many excellent examples out there for a lot less.

In looking at those two quickly, the second one looks pretty good (but I still wouldn't buy it). I wouldn't be interested in the first at all.
JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 11:41 PM   #8
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
Everyone is different, but I wouldn't pay that much for a 16570 no matter how complete the set or perfect the dial. There are too many excellent examples out there for a lot less.

In looking at those two quickly, the second one looks pretty good (but I still wouldn't buy it). I wouldn't be interested in the first at all.
Agreed, nice watches and definitely on the way up, but still firmly under £10k IMHO.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 01:17 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaze88 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of adding a Explorer 2 16570 Polar and wanted to get some feedback on the Tritium Dial vs Luminova.

Is there a preference from a collector's point of view or why one might appreciate more than another?

Thanks in advance
Tritium would be more sought after by a lot of collectors because of the potential for patina, which can add to the overall attractiveness of a vintage/classic Rolex. Tritium watches are also unique as they age, with different levels/tones of patina. Luminova dials/hands will all look the same.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 05:41 AM   #10
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Explorer 2 16570 Polar Tritium vs Luminova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
I prefer the dial lume & hands lighter patina on the second one, price is way better as well. Hopefully someone with suitable experience can comment on the condition of its case and bracelet for you.

If you prefer the lighter lume, it's worth considering that the second one will turn the same colour in a bit more time. This is also the reason I bought a later 1999 16570 Polar with Superluminova.

Heavy patina is a wonderful trend ATM. However it's worth considering that if you want to wear this a fair bit then that degradation of the dial is going to continue. Eventually all these heavily cracked, faded, discolored dials and hands are going to be...

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 02:56 AM   #11
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your 6
https://www.classicwatch.com/asp/viewer.asp?ref=rxr0376
Cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 02:10 PM   #12
Nickyisrael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
All about condition. Tritium has the potential for nice patina which could make it more valuable in the long run. Or, it could have had parts replaced making the luminova variant worth more.