The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 November 2021, 04:36 AM   #1
Beanz
"TRF" Member

1938 Oyster Royal - Cannot find simliar

Evening all,

I hope everyone finds themselves safe and healthy.
I have trolled the net for hours trying to find a reference to an identical watch. I have come across many variations of the wording (specially those above 6) but to no avail. Many watches are marked 'Shock Resisting' and I have found 'Precision' but not an identical image. Most watches of this time had the second hand dial where the words 'Extra Precision' is but as yet, no reference to this basic style. Plenty available in the 40's.
I have yet to take the strap off to see if the serial number on the case has a matching number there and the horologist could find nothing (under eye lens) there or on the rehaut.

What I have found out about the stamps inside the case:
Parachute with RM
Robert Meylan, then at 78 Rue de Lausanne, Geneva, closed down operations and called in creditors in September 1939. On 28 February 1940 the Meylan patent No. 161355 “Boîte de montre étanche” was sold to Montres Rolex S.A., the transfer of title was registered on 9 April 1940.
Rolex SAR
The mark shown here of the letters "SAR" under a crown or coronet is sometimes seen in the case backs of Rolex watches. This mark doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere, but I suspect that it stands for "Société Anonyme Rolex". That would indicate the existence of a Swiss limited liability company or Société Anonyme (S.A.), but I haven't yet discovered the date of creation of that company.

If anyone can assist with an equivalent or information regarding this specific model it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.JPG (286.4 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7246.JPG (288.1 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0842.jpg (292.7 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7251.JPG (279.4 KB, 319 views)
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 05:22 AM   #2
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Watch is legit but dial was repainted….
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 05:39 AM   #3
Nick9
"TRF" Member

No doubt someone will be along to help decipher the “SAR”, or confirm your suggestion.

There were many dial variants in those days. Yours looks authentic to me.

It’s likely that the “EXTRA PRECISION” references the movement, which as you can see was timed in six positions and appears to feature a proprietary hairspring. The wheel marked “ULTRA PRIMA” is another clue that it has a top end movement for when Rolex built it. Perhaps sold for a bit more than the other Oyster Royals.

You’ll have to take off the bracelet to find the reference and serial numbers.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 05:42 AM   #4
Mark020
"TRF" Member

No. The serial is on the back
Old 15 November 2021, 05:52 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks legit to me, maybe re-dial, maybe not. I did a quick google images search and found the same printing "Rolex Oyster Royal" on top and "Extra Precision" on the bottom on a couple of watches from the same era. And another couple of watches with "Imperial" instead of "Royal". The rest of the dials aren't exactly the same (e.g different hour markers), but that's not surprising. At least one of the watches I found was a re-dial, but that's the way it goes. For 1930s watches, you can't always find an exact twin. There are fewer survivors, and fewer collectors posting their watches online.
Old 15 November 2021, 07:52 AM   #6
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Thanks. So, consistent with the engraving.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 04:17 PM   #7
Beanz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was this a standard practice back then as everywhere I read it was all about the stamp of the number between the lugs?
Old 15 November 2021, 04:19 PM   #8
Beanz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Looks legit to me, maybe re-dial, maybe not. I did a quick google images search and found the same printing "Rolex Oyster Royal" on top and "Extra Precision" on the bottom on a couple of watches from the same era. And another couple of watches with "Imperial" instead of "Royal". The rest of the dials aren't exactly the same (e.g different hour markers), but that's not surprising. At least one of the watches I found was a re-dial, but that's the way it goes. For 1930s watches, you can't always find an exact twin. There are fewer survivors, and fewer collectors posting their watches online.
I am clearly over complicating my searches, everything I find doesn't match up but this will not stop me. I shall arm myself with more glasses of red and continue
Old 15 November 2021, 04:30 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
You're right about the SAR, and other caseback research as far as I know. Dial looks fine to me.
Old 15 November 2021, 09:34 PM   #10
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Was this a standard practice back then as everywhere I read it was all about the stamp of the number between the lugs?
Between the lugs was later
Old 15 November 2021, 09:43 PM   #11
Beanz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Between the lugs was later
Thank you Mark
Old 16 November 2021, 01:24 AM   #12
Beanz
"TRF" Member

For interest sake on those who posted here please note original owner seated bottom 2nd left. It's a great pity the watch wasn't showing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R.D.Tucker (Medical Corps).jpg (282.7 KB, 250 views)
Old 19 November 2021, 01:17 PM   #13
Andrew18
"TRF" Member

I think it is ref. 2765 flat back for Europe market. the dial looks original.
Andrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 09:17 AM   #14
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew18 View Post
I think it is ref. 2765 flat back for Europe market. the dial looks original.
No. It's a 3 piece case. 2765 is a two piece case.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2021, 09:20 AM   #15
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

This model has no reference number. It is a 3 piece manual wind tonneau style case similar to a bubbleback. Calibre is an early 710 pre super balance but with 17 jewels utilizing the single screw from underneath cap jewel setting on the upper escape wheel.

This is a mid 30s movement. Dial is 100% original and perfectly suitable in that case and era.
Old 22 November 2021, 09:20 AM   #16
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watch is legit but dial was repainted….
No it's perfectly original. Why do you say it was repainted?
Old 22 November 2021, 05:00 PM   #17
Beanz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
This model has no reference number. It is a 3 piece manual wind tonneau style case similar to a bubbleback. Calibre is an early 710 pre super balance but with 17 jewels utilizing the single screw from underneath cap jewel setting on the upper escape wheel.

This is a mid 30s movement. Dial is 100% original and perfectly suitable in that case and era.
Thanks for the info, would you care to comment on why this watch would have no reference number? Many thanks.
Old 23 November 2021, 12:14 PM   #18
Andrew18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. It's a 3 piece case. 2765 is a two piece case.

Yes, you're right. I overlooked it is 3-piece case.
Andrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 12:58 AM   #19
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No it's perfectly original. Why do you say it was repainted?
Sloppy printing. But if you say it is legit it is
Old 24 November 2021, 01:56 AM   #20
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Thanks for the info, would you care to comment on why this watch would have no reference number? Many thanks.
There are a few early Oyster cases that just don't have a reference number. You find early 2280 style Speed King cases with very flat lugs on the back and a similar case with a flat rather than sloped bezel...that have no reference number. I've owned several of these manual wind 3 piece cases like yours that don't have any reference number anywhere on them. The 3009 is a similar watch in Gold but it doesn't use that gigantic large barrel crown. I've never seen a reference on one of these and as we see there is no number on your case back inside or out and nothing between the lugs other than the serial. Rolex was anything but consistent especially early on. It's just one of those early anomalies.
Old 24 November 2021, 07:01 AM   #21
Beanz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are a few early Oyster cases that just don't have a reference number. You find early 2280 style Speed King cases with very flat lugs on the back and a similar case with a flat rather than sloped bezel...that have no reference number. I've owned several of these manual wind 3 piece cases like yours that don't have any reference number anywhere on them. The 3009 is a similar watch in Gold but it doesn't use that gigantic large barrel crown. I've never seen a reference on one of these and as we see there is no number on your case back inside or out and nothing between the lugs other than the serial. Rolex was anything but consistent especially early on. It's just one of those early anomalies.
Thank you from the heart for your input, it's been a fascinating journey with this piece. The knowledge you guys carry is enormous and I have full respect.
Old 24 November 2021, 07:15 AM   #22
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Looks like a nice original dial to me. It's also "double-printed" (meaning it says Fab Suisse and Swiss made)
powerfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 05:10 PM   #23
Beanz
"TRF" Member

Another thing I would have missed completely, thank you.
Would this have meant either:
1. the piece was made for France or;
2. the piece was just made in France with various workings etc brought in to complete?
Am I on the right track here? With Robert Meylan (case producer) being based in Geneva it might be leaning more towards the former pending where the dials were made.
Old 25 November 2021, 01:39 AM   #24
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Looks like a nice original dial to me. It's also "double-printed" (meaning it says Fab Suisse and Swiss made)

Which, to me, indicates an export version for UK, or it’s English speaking colonies at the time, or USA perhaps.

The dial appears original - it doesn’t appear to be a refinished or reprinted one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote