The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2021, 11:51 AM   #31
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

My AD was supposed to get me a Daytona for my wedding then COVID hit…low and behold they delivered 5 days before my honeymoon 9 months later
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 02:01 PM   #32
28mm
"TRF" Member

It's like when you get pulled over by the police and there's a window between them just taking your license and insurance card and writing up a ticket....that small window where you find a way to connect and cause a hiccup in the matrix.

I used to always keep expired insurance cards to hand them while I'd make believe I couldn't find the current one.

The salesperson was telling you roughly how they might decide who gets a watch and as others have pointed out, they want to sell to people they like.

I can't tell you what to say exactly but just like when I'd get pulled over, try to make more of a connection, be polite and light about it and as others have said...I bet one is in the not too distant future for you.
Old 18 December 2021, 02:06 PM   #33
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
My AD was supposed to get me a Daytona for my wedding then COVID hit…low and behold they delivered 5 days before my honeymoon 9 months later
Funny, I have the same request in for my AD lol.

To the OP, yes, I think they will eventually pull through for you on that Sub. Shouldn't be an issue
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 03:18 PM   #34
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Well your doing what you can so if they are honest your number will come up. But relationships trump spending IMHO and experience.

Not to keep repeating but I got a SubDate in June and another one 2 days ago for my 20 year old son. And a Datejust in between....all with no prior purchasing. Just good honest dialog and a relationship.

People want to sell to people THEY LIKE. Some spenders I bet are jerks...who'd want to do them a "favor"?

I agree. Relationship is number one. Ive been able to get watches not because of who i know but because of who i have been introduced to from other large clients. OP- Your spend seems very in line with what some ADs would see before they allocate a sub. I would go in again and be upfront. You would like a sub, is that something that they get make happen. It’s easy. You will know based on what they say if its going to happen. I would continue checking in and presenting your interest and at some point, i think you will get taken care of.

I can give you my own example. Local AD, bought a few pieces of jewelry and a Tudor for me. I wanted a Sub and was told no issue. Fast forward a year later, same story. Then its like we continue going in this circle and i realized, its not happening. I make a phone call to a buddy, he sets me up with a managing director of a boutique and i was wearing my sub 3 weeks later.

The part that always got to me, was i knew they had one. If i had been in 20 times or so ( its very local and near somewhere i frequent) they absolutely had one in the safe that i could have bought. They had just decided to let someone else buy it. I love the guys at the local ad, we talk watches when i am around and they are really great. But, my spending there is done. I buy everything from the boutique now. I have a fairly large jewelry purchase coming up and ill be buying it elsewhere because they have not taken care of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 03:28 PM   #35
Watchesnguitars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I agree. Relationship is number one. Ive been able to get watches not because of who i know but because of who i have been introduced to from other large clients. OP- Your spend seems very in line with what some ADs would see before they allocate a sub. I would go in again and be upfront. You would like a sub, is that something that they get make happen. It’s easy. You will know based on what they say if its going to happen. I would continue checking in and presenting your interest and at some point, i think you will get taken care of.

I can give you my own example. Local AD, bought a few pieces of jewelry and a Tudor for me. I wanted a Sub and was told no issue. Fast forward a year later, same story. Then its like we continue going in this circle and i realized, its not happening. I make a phone call to a buddy, he sets me up with a managing director of a boutique and i was wearing my sub 3 weeks later.

The part that always got to me, was i knew they had one. If i had been in 20 times or so ( its very local and near somewhere i frequent) they absolutely had one in the safe that i could have bought. They had just decided to let someone else buy it. I love the guys at the local ad, we talk watches when i am around and they are really great. But, my spending there is done. I buy everything from the boutique now. I have a fairly large jewelry purchase coming up and ill be buying it elsewhere because they have not taken care of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you guys for all the lovely responses… I really do appreciate everyone’s input and experiences shared… We can only learn by paying it forward and I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t thinking out of line or being the annoying guy asking for the same thing everyone else is (which is the case to be fair) but I just got bit by the bug in the past year and a half (worst timings obviously) but a sub under the Cabo sunset with my wife would be quite amazing.. Just saying.. Put it all into the atmosphere at this point…
Watchesnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2021, 03:58 PM   #36
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28mm View Post
It's like when you get pulled over by the police and there's a window between them just taking your license and insurance card and writing up a ticket....that small window where you find a way to connect and cause a hiccup in the matrix.

I used to always keep expired insurance cards to hand them while I'd make believe I couldn't find the current one.

The salesperson was telling you roughly how they might decide who gets a watch and as others have pointed out, they want to sell to people they like.

I can't tell you what to say exactly but just like when I'd get pulled over, try to make more of a connection, be polite and light about it and as others have said...I bet one is in the not too distant future for you.
Exactly - gotta use the matrix

All 3 of my sports models were first purchases from 3 different ADs
To be fair, the explorer I asked for during a transaction for my wife’s dj36

Since then, i have since found my long term AD

Best thing I can tell you is have a direct conversation. “I’d love a sub for my wedding. Is that within the realm of possibilities?”

Any answer other than “yes” = it ain’t coming
Old 18 December 2021, 11:14 PM   #37
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
i wouldn’t spend any more money with that ad in hopes of getting a sub. That doesn’t mean i wouldn’t spend money with that ad - just on things that i already want, not as a precursor to potentially getting a sub.
+1
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote