The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 December 2021, 02:37 AM   #1
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on a 5327R?

I've recently become enamored with Patek's rose gold offerings. I was previously a strictly white gold metal wearer - steel, white gold and platinum, as I felt the yellow/rose etc gold watches would be too showy. However, I reluctantly dipped my toe in the rose gold water with a 6119R that I bought earlier this year. It gets more wrist time than all my other watches, to the point where I have to "force" myself to don the 5167. The latter just doesn't do it for me anymore. I get the irony here - the 5167 is highly sought after, and the Calatrava less so. But I just love the Calatrava.

Enter the 5327R. I love the color, and dial. Love the dimensions, and of course the perpetual calendar complication. And, it's an automatic - which is perfect for when I put it away for a bit on a winder. However, it's a reference that doesn't seem to get a lot of love. It seems to be listed with an up to 25pct discount on Chrono24, but I doubt my AD would approach that discount. Am I crazy for considering this watch? Is there something about it I should know before buying, given its apparent lack of popularity?

Thanks in advance.
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #2
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I think the 5327R is an very nice piece, but agreed, it's not a particularly in-demand piece. I have the 5227R, which is in the same style family, same size, etc. Wears great both formal and informal. I agree, R looks especially nice on both.

These days, everybody wets themselves when they think of Nautilus, and yawns when they think of anything else. Which is unfortunate, but that's the way it goes. Regardless, a Patek perpetual is undeniably a special piece. And the 5327 is a very nice reference, with timeless lineage and contemporary size.

Bottom line is, if you really like it, that's really what matters - then get it. Meaning, buy it to impress you, not those around you. I think a watch is (or should be) a personal statement more than a social statement.

As for discounts, perhaps a modest discount at AD but I'd say don't expect a steep discount. Have fun making your decision. (BTW, in Atlanta, the Brown & Co store up on Holcomb Bridge typically has a decent assortment of pieces to check out, so long as you aren't looking for a sports/Nauti/Aqua of course)
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 05:06 AM   #3
fra
"TRF" Member

It’s personal but I dislike this piece - I tried it a few month ago.
The case shape, numerals just didn’t like it at all.

A friend of mine who was with me and not a watch guy did like it
fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 06:41 AM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

A Patek perpetual calendar is a collector's watch. It is for the watch connoisseur in other words. It will not win the popularity contest.

However if you really like the watch and you have tried it on in person, I would say go for it.

I own several Patek PCs with one of them being the 5140, the predecessor to the 5327. They both use the same movement, along with the 3940. The case size and shape has changed some over the years, but they are still classic Patek PCs.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 10:54 PM   #5
seadubs
"TRF" Member

Its a gorgeous watch - I personally love the Breguet numerals as well
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 03:51 AM   #6
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Patek’s rose gold color is quite stunning. Watch is very nice.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 10:21 AM   #7
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Do agree it's not going to win a popularity contest, BUT that's exactly one reason I love it.

Sent from my SM-F700U1 using Tapatalk
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 02:24 AM   #8
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I think it's great. Modern size yet not too big, and Patek did well in formatting the dial layout so that the information is well spread out without looking awkward (which was a danger given the upsized case and dial relative to the standard cal. 240 base movement). I think this will be viewed as a classic Patek PC for years to come.

Many object to the 3940 and 5140 because of their smaller statures, which the 5327 improves on. You cannot beat the ultra classic layout and slimness of the 3940, but it's too small for many. And for many, the 5140 just didn't quite hit the right middle-road, being only 1 mm larger.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote