The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 December 2021, 01:18 AM   #1
TheoMich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling montbril
Appreciate feedback

Almost 3 years of looking for a sub or gmt and my jeweller who I’ve given over 100k to , keeps ducking me around. I didn’t mind waiting for a watch from an ad if I was ever so lucky to find one but my situation has changed . This year my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer, completely through our world upside down . We’ve helped raise and donated over 100 000$ to dr Gilbert’s dovie gene foundation in Montreal to help womens testing and find these cancers before they become terminal . My point is money is a bit tight right now and she wants to buy a sub for our son , I don’t mind spending the 16k us which is 20000 Canadian , I m on vacation in Miami and have found one . My question to any one who knows is I get the watch engraved , how much value does it lose? Spending 20 and losing the value would hurt a lot more then spending 8 k? Not looking to resell trade or anything like that it’s sentimental value to us right now, thanks
TheoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:23 AM   #2
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoMich View Post
Almost 3 years of looking for a sub or gmt and my jeweller who I’ve given over 100k to , keeps ducking me around. I didn’t mind waiting for a watch from an ad if I was ever so lucky to find one but my situation has changed .

This year my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer, completely through our world upside down . We’ve helped raise and donated over 100 000$ to dr Gilbert’s dovie gene foundation in Montreal to help womens testing and find these cancers before they become terminal .

My point is money is a bit tight right now and she wants to buy a sub for our son , I don’t mind spending the 16k us which is 20000 Canadian , I m on vacation in Miami and have found one . My question to any one who knows is I get the watch engraved , how much value does it lose?

Spending 20 and losing the value would hurt a lot more then spending 8 k? Not looking to resell trade or anything like that it’s sentimental value to us right now, thanks

Who's the seller? If they are "legit" they should be able to direct you to engraver. It does hurt value but is cheap to replace...unless your really freaking famous it may increase the value!

How much is it? $16,000? which model Submariner? Box, Papers?

Pictures of watch...
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:23 AM   #3
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Engrave the case back. Then it can be replaced if you want. Hopefully he won’t sell it anyway.
Old 31 December 2021, 01:28 AM   #4
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

I have no valuation knowledge but I am saddened to read about your situation. Sending you and your family positive vibes.
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:29 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

It doesn’t hurt the value because it can always be removed and hopefully he keeps it
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:30 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Theo, I’m truly sorry to hear about your wife. Cancer can be beaten against all odds, and my thoughts go out to you and yours in this difficult time.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:35 AM   #7
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Sorry to hear about your wife. Our family has gone through a lot of the same lately. Wish you all all the best.

As to the watch I would say track down a dealer more willing to work with you. If money is tight at the moment, paying $6-7k over msrp I wouldn’t be able to do personally.

About the engraving, I would say go for it. It really doesn’t affect value much if at all and is easily replaced if need be.
Old 31 December 2021, 01:37 AM   #8
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Theo, I’m truly sorry to hear about your wife. Cancer can be beaten against all odds, and my thoughts go out to you and yours in this difficult time.
Well said as usual Brian

Also hoping for a great outcome.

As far as the watch the caseback can be replaced or I would like to think can even be refinished. Granted I could be wrong about the refinishing

Good luck
Old 31 December 2021, 01:41 AM   #9
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Sorry to hear about the news for your wife, at least in Montreal she's in good hands.

Regarding the engraved caseback, as others have mentioned it can easily be swapped out for a fresh caseback if needed.

I'm very curious to hear which AD has been playing the game with you in Montreal, as this is also where I currently reside. I find the AD's here atrocious to be frank. 100k spend should be getting you something nice, and IMO they're taking the piss if not coming through.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:55 AM   #10
TheoMich
"TRF" Member

Wow, thank you all for great feedback and warm thoughts. Much appreciated the feedback , I know he would or will never sell it, but knowing it’s an easy fix helps a lot. Thank you all for the info and happy holidays. As to saint Mickey question, he says it’s a brand new 2021 41 mm sub with box and papers asking 16500$ in Miami .
Old 31 December 2021, 02:35 AM   #11
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
I believe that you got some great answers to your question and I agree, it may bring the value down but it is easily replaced.

However, I am very sorry to hear about your wife, will keep her in my prayers. All the best to you and your family in 2022.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 03:33 AM   #12
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Sorry to hear. As others have mentioned, engraving is so personal that most people would prefer a non engraved vs engraved, therefore yes the price is affected somewhat. If you don't have plans to sell, do it and enjoy it! Worry about the value proposition and replacing it later if/when you want to sell it.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 03:34 AM   #13
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I bought a spare case back for $500 so I could engrave my original one. If I ever decide to sell, I will replace and the new owner will never know.
Old 31 December 2021, 04:24 AM   #14
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Sorry to hear and best of luck with treatment.

Regarding your AD situation, that is insane. I spent $20,000 CDN through September/October of this year before they offered me a Sub Date. You should be offered multiple Rolex spending what you did. Screw them.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 04:43 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Casebacks are cheap and have been generic for a couple of decades, easily replaced.

Engrave away.
Old 31 December 2021, 05:01 AM   #16
TheoMich
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info, I’m a car guy so I thought that maybe the serial number was on the case and if I change it it loses value , like some cars do when modifying parts. Yeah as for my jeweller turns out he’s a p o s. I don’t have the strength or the energy to be upset , it’s his loss as my future business will go elsewhere , and so will my 28 referrals I have sent him( I actually counted lol) I’m just gonna go grey and make it happen. Thanks everyone and happy new year . I found one in saint marten if anyone is heading that way. I just didn’t trust the guy as I don’t have one and don’t know what to look for . It was new from a jewellery store . 2020 sub with date black face 41 mm he also wanted 16k for it
Old 31 December 2021, 06:49 AM   #17
SWS65SM
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Quote:
I just didn’t trust the guy as I don’t have one and don’t know what to look for . It was new from a jewellery store . 2020 sub with date black face 41 mm he also wanted 16k for it
ditto to what everyone has said about your wife's diagnosis, sincerely hope you and family stays positive and things work out (as well as it can) for you.

Not much you yourself can do in terms of authentication. If it's a 41mm sub it should have the new style warranty card. As long as the serial numbers between the rehaut and the warranty card/white hang tag match you should be fine, that's my personal thought. And of course just make sure the watch isn't short any links, since you say this is a new unworn piece (albeit being a year old). GL, have a great vacation and keep us posted
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 08:28 AM   #18
Closs1909
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC
So sorry to hear about your wife, miracles happen in medicine everyday, sending my best ����
Closs1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 09:05 AM   #19
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Skip the watch for now and just be by your wife's side

All the best.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 10:53 AM   #20
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
really sorry to hear about your wife and hope everything works out ok for you both.

in terms of your watch that price grey seems about right, just a note that it could also go up with the price rises in the next 2 days ...
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 11:17 AM   #21
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Almost 3 years of looking for a sub or gmt and my jeweller who I’ve given over 100k to , keeps ducking me around. I didn’t mind waiting for a watch from an ad if I was ever so lucky to find one but my situation has changed . This year my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer, completely through our world upside down . We’ve helped raise and donated over 100 000$ to dr Gilbert’s dovie gene foundation in Montreal to help womens testing and find these cancers before they become terminal . My point is money is a bit tight right now and she wants to buy a sub for our son , I don’t mind spending the 16k us which is 20000 Canadian , I m on vacation in Miami and have found one . My question to any one who knows is I get the watch engraved , how much value does it lose? Spending 20 and losing the value would hurt a lot more then spending 8 k? Not looking to resell trade or anything like that it’s sentimental value to us right now, thanks

Two recommendations
Seybold building for your watch
Miami Cancer Institute for your wife.
My wife was cured of stage 4 there 15 years ago
by Dr Lambrou. He was head of the dept. until he recently relocated but he left behind a first rate setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 11:27 AM   #22
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Best of luck with the treatment - molecular therapy and the new biological agents are doing wonders for many cancers right now so lets keep fingers crossed. I'd get the engraving done. Replacement casebacks can be done if and when required - my advice would be not to get a second right now.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 11:37 AM   #23
cjhurni
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126000-0005
Wishing you and your family all of the best in the new year. Stay strong, will keep you in thoughts and prayers.
cjhurni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 12:49 PM   #24
TheoMich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Two recommendations
Seybold building for your watch
Miami Cancer Institute for your wife.
My wife was cured of stage 4 there 15 years ago
by Dr Lambrou. He was head of the dept. until he recently relocated but he left behind a first rate setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, we actually looked into that center , they told us we are in good hands with dr Gilbert in Montreal , she actually invented a new tool and program that helps catch womens cancers at a early stage which is almost 90% curable if caught early, my it’s called the Doviegene program and it’s free for all women to go and get tested , I unfortunately for us this program wasn’t available last year and hence our situation. My wife is 40 years old so every time she went to the doctor with pain and discomfort , bloating, she was always misdiagnosed with wrong diagnosis( bladder stones, cysts, )ect. I will take a drive to this place(seybold ) building this week. Thanks and happy new year
Old 31 December 2021, 01:23 PM   #25
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

So sorry for your wife, and your family!
I’d just engrave the caseback, and if needed can be easily replaced.
Good luck!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:41 PM   #26
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I’m so sorry to hear that and hope all turns out well. With as hot as Rolex SS models are, engraving the caseback shouldn’t cause any issues down the road. Your son would be fortunate to receive such a gift.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 01:57 PM   #27
WatchesNBlondes
Banned

Sorry to hear about your spouse. I hope 2022 treats your whole family better and that God works his magic in healing.
WatchesNBlondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2021, 02:21 PM   #28
Joearch

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Best to your family.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote