The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2021, 07:48 PM   #31
Jonah10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesticks View Post
You'd be fortunate if the GMT turned out to be a Root Beer. Once you see it in person, you'll realize the RB blows the batman and pepsi out of the water :)

Sorry, don’t agree on that. I see my friends root beer almost daily. Not once have I ever felt the urge to replace my Pepsi for it. Not even once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:41 PM   #32
Inthesticks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah10 View Post
Sorry, don’t agree on that. I see my friends root beer almost daily. Not once have I ever felt the urge to replace my Pepsi for it. Not even once

The Root Beer is like a single malt scotch, its a bit of an acquired taste, but once acquired there's no substitute.

The Pepsi and Batman are very nice, but to me the allure of these is more on the initial viewing and wearing experience. For my money, the Root Beer ages better.

Now having said that - if I could have only One watch, the SS Batman may be a more practical daily. But already having a SS sub, the Root Beer is the perfect compliment.

I realize that this opinion goes against the grain of most - but thats just it - it's an opinion.

My preference: RB > Batman > Pepsi.
Inthesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:44 PM   #33
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

I have the Pepsi and RB and like the RB more. Both great watches.
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:23 AM   #34
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah10 View Post

I have to agree. The two tone CHNR just has such an older gentleman vibe to it, which is fine, but not for me.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:35 AM   #35
broham84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You'd be fortunate if the GMT turned out to be a Root Beer. Once you see it in person, you'll realize the RB blows the batman and pepsi out of the water :)
100% agree, own both I’ll take root beer 10/10 times
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 03:22 AM   #36
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I think all of the GMTs are beautiful and it’s simply personal taste. My only real recommendation is I feel you really need to like/want the Rootbeer. Don’t get caught up at the AD not knowing if you like it and taking it anyway as my gut says you’ll regret it after the honeymoon is over. I think the Rootbeer is gorgeous, but I agree with a lot of the comments here it has a certain vibe that isn’t going to work for everybody.

Another recommendation is avoid the hype altogether and find a black dial from a secondary dealer. That’s probably the most versatile model, although I don’t know what the market price is and I’m sure it’s gone nuts too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2021, 06:36 PM   #37
Jonah10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Root Beer is like a single malt scotch, its a bit of an acquired taste, but once acquired there's no substitute.

The Pepsi and Batman are very nice, but to me the allure of these is more on the initial viewing and wearing experience. For my money, the Root Beer ages better.

Now having said that - if I could have only One watch, the SS Batman may be a more practical daily. But already having a SS sub, the Root Beer is the perfect compliment.

I realize that this opinion goes against the grain of most - but thats just it - it's an opinion.

My preference: RB > Batman > Pepsi.

That is quite a reply, and I like your writing style. But I can’t agree with you, the root beer just doesn’t have the pop the Pepsi has. It’s why a legend like Philippe Dufour is seen wearing a Pepsi in his shop and Baselworld 2019!

Jonah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:47 PM   #38
msu_1972
Banned

Watch: Panda, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Lane View Post
Agree on the MG but thats what I heard.

On the flipper question, I wore my Sub and pointed it out, not much more you can do to prove intent other than seem genuinely interested and excited in the GMT and explain how you want the option to wear either. I honestly think we are good there, what I don't know is how many Rolex "whales" are ahead of me!
I’m no where close to be any type of whale but I just show my AD that I was genuine in my interest and just try to form an honest relationship with my AD. After about 3 months, they offer me the GMT BLNR. I kept that relationship with my AD and a year later they allocated the Daytona Panda to me.

So overall, just build a good relationship with your AD. Stop by from time to time just to say “HI” and talk to them. Be patient and eventually they will get you what you want.
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 07:22 PM   #39
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALANG1HG
Quote:
I'd prefer not to identify the AD, sorry.

I meant to add that when pressed on a second choice I said Milgauss which I genuinely like but not sure I would buy. They said those are harder to source than a GMT which is a relief in a way. Anyways, they called shortly after I posted and are getting the Cartier so will go in and visit them when it arrives and see what they say now they have had a chance to study my history and their 4 dimensional EOI model LOL.
OP trying to keep out another Rolex Whale! :-) in all seriousness OP, I am in the same boat with the Boutique up here in Boston. Small Rolex purchase history over the past couple years. I am hoping to get a SS GMT as a birth year watch for my newborn son. Fingers crossed for both of us!
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:05 AM   #40
Slow Lane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Update - picked up the gift watch and chatted with the AD, apparently various DDs are coming in but I'm clearly in for a lengthy wait for a GMT. The AD are all very nice people and have always been great to work with. I'm confident I will be treated fairly but this is a classic supply demand imbalance so no miracles. I will have to coax my wife in there for Valentine's Day!
Slow Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:15 AM   #41
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Thanks for the update. When I read the first few words of your comment, I was hoping you’d say Update - I got the call. But alas…we dream. Keep up the fight.

azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 08:20 AM   #42
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Good luck! I hope you get your gmt soon!

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 09:43 AM   #43
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Agree.

I had the same happen to me when I asked my AD for either the Pepsi, Batman, or root beer and received the root beer. I’m glad I did. Unique and gorgeous piece that does blow the others out of the water.

Having said that I am looking forward to a Pepsi in 2022.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 09:45 AM   #44
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Update - picked up the gift watch and chatted with the AD, apparently various DDs are coming in but I'm clearly in for a lengthy wait for a GMT. The AD are all very nice people and have always been great to work with. I'm confident I will be treated fairly but this is a classic supply demand imbalance so no miracles. I will have to coax my wife in there for Valentine's Day!
Thanks for the update. Sounds like it will happen for sure just give it some time. Best of luck.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 09:49 AM   #45
SaintMickey
Banned

I got a Sub Date in June from an Atlanta AD. I've been waiting for my other "choices" since then. LOL - they say they are coming.

Good luck!
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 05:42 AM   #46
Agent18
"TRF" Member

Prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Based on your near 20-year buying history, even though it may be on the modest side, I bet you get the call for a GMT in under 5 months. I also predict it will be for the BLNR on jubilee.

Good luck.
What do you predict for the winner of the Super Bowl.
Agent18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 07:31 AM   #47
_Gatsby_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
My money is on Brown. Only question is which daughter the OP is referring to. My money is on Sara Beth.

Edit: to the OP….good luck.

This was my thought precisely.

Good luck OP
_Gatsby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 03:34 AM   #48
Slow Lane
"TRF" Member

Update - my SA called me today to see if we could identify some other models I might be interested in, I provided some input but of course they are all popular models also and I reiterated that I am patient and want a GMT eventually even if I do buy another watch in the meantime. All good, suspect they had an internal meeting supported by the CRM data and decided to get back to me for goodwill and to manage expectations. In that sense the attention I am getting seems appropriately calibrated to my spend history and tenure with the AD. Sounds to me like the PM models are more likely to be randomly available but that's not what I am looking for - I will update after I see them next (soon).
Old 19 December 2021, 04:00 AM   #49
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
Just curious, does you AD name start with a "B", "M", or "T". I, too, live in Atlanta. Thanks.

It’s whichever one also carries Cartier.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 06:23 AM   #50
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
RB, Pepsi, Batman, all different flavours of the same watch. No right or wrong answer to any of them.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 06:31 AM   #51
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
It’s whichever one also carries Cartier.

Brown is the only one of those that carries Cartier watches.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 12:07 PM   #52
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Good luck

stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2021, 01:51 PM   #53
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Quote:
Update - my SA called me today to see if we could identify some other models I might be interested in, I provided some input but of course they are all popular models also and I reiterated that I am patient and want a GMT eventually even if I do buy another watch in the meantime. All good, suspect they had an internal meeting supported by the CRM data and decided to get back to me for goodwill and to manage expectations. In that sense the attention I am getting seems appropriately calibrated to my spend history and tenure with the AD. Sounds to me like the PM models are more likely to be randomly available but that's not what I am looking for - I will update after I see them next (soon).
Thanks for the update. I quite enjoy following fellow watch enthusiast stories like this. I'm hoping it ends well for you.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 01:45 AM   #54
Slow Lane
"TRF" Member

Visited the AD yesterday to size the gift watch, few watches of all types available. AD is very pleasant to work with as per past experience but no indication of anything incoming, hopefully this is a case of under-promise and over deliver. Like many others I am hunkering down and waiting and hoping that I am one of the chosen people who gets the AD call. I thought about this analytically, the US is roughly 4% of global population and if Rolex production (1m) were evenly allocated across the globe we would see approximately 40k watches which is an extremely scarce amount, no doubt we receive a multiple of our arithmetic share but even if it is 5X our share is still only 200k watches or 1 watch for each .000625 people. In other words no matter how much share of production we receive even within the top 1% the Rolex production must be massively over-subscribed. When you think about it this way the grey prices start to look objectively reasonable, even a bargain but I still don't want to go there. However the more I stare at these numbers the more likely I am to break down and do so or shop another brand. Please check my math above, the other factor I didn't even try to bake in is the greater demand for SS sports pieces which only exacerbates the problem for me.

I will continue to update but it will likely be a while unless a minor miracle happens, will see if my better half wants to visit and shop for Valentines Day.
Old 1 January 2022, 02:38 AM   #55
WatchesNBlondes
Banned

So you're thinking between Batman, Batgirl, and any version of the Pepsi Steel would be what they're trying to get? Or did you ask to be included for PM or bi-metal as well?
WatchesNBlondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 02:42 AM   #56
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
I got a Sub Date in June from an Atlanta AD. I've been waiting for my other "choices" since then. LOL - they say they are coming.

Good luck!
Just reread this forgot I posted. I also got a second SubDate a couple days before Christmas...in Atlanta.

Very close to the next one...mark my words!!!
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2022, 02:44 AM   #57
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Don’t stress yourself with all the analytics as it doesn’t really mean anything. Getting a specialty piece from an AD usually comes down to a combination of your spend history, your likeability, and luck! Just hang tight and keep following up with your SA every so often so they don’t forget about you.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote