The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 February 2022, 03:37 PM   #1
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

Is there a discount on the 5196r

I am wanting to get my first Patek Philippe watch to start my Patek journey. Is the 5196r a good first Patek? Is it easy to get and can I expect a discount for it? Just wondering! Thanks
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 07:20 PM   #2
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

I personally don’t think it is smart to start a relationship by asking for a discount. I never do as I also don’t pay a premium for hot watches either.

If you are really serious about buying PP watches at an AD, don’t start haggling over price…
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 07:21 PM   #3
S``
"TRF" Member

You need a time machine for discounts on any male models
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 07:50 PM   #4
Alvy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
You need a time machine for discounts on any male models
Sad but true. Was lucky to have been allocated one before price adjustment with no discount.
Alvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 11:29 PM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Discounts vary depending on many factors - location of AD, inventory, prior purchase experience at the AD, whether you are working with a salesperson or the owner and paying cash vs using a credit card.

I don't think it hurts to ask for a discount.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 11:53 PM   #6
mjm700
"TRF" Member

For what it’s worth, I used to get discounts on PPs that were not in high demand. I was told a couple of years ago that Patek restricted ADs not to allow any discounting. Can’t say whether that is followed universally or not but it did sound like added pressure to avoid any kind of discounts.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 02:23 AM   #7
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

No worries about the discount. Was just asking. But is the 5196r the right watch to start a Patek journey with or should I ask for something else first?
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 02:49 AM   #8
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

I believe all 5196s are discontinued as of this year. You may still be able to find one floating around at an AD though.
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 02:50 AM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchamatic View Post
No worries about the discount. Was just asking. But is the 5196r the right watch to start a Patek journey with or should I ask for something else first?
its the right watch but it was discontinued. also there is no right answer for this. literally you are paying thousand of dollars for a watch - do you even like it ? always great to start a relationship with a less in demand model like a calatrava
dauster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 06:32 AM   #10
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchamatic View Post
The 5196 is a great first Patek. It is a manual wind watch, meaning you have to wind it every day or two if you plan to wear it regularly. It is a classic design with the seconds hand in the 6 o'clock position. Patek RG watches wear fairly well with suits and some wear it with casual attire as well.

Since it has been discontinued, it may take time trying to find an AD that has one in stock. A few years ago, it was easy to get discounts on Calatravas, but I hear it is not so today. But as I mentioned above, there are several factors that come into play.

If an AD has one in stock, I am sure they would be happy to sell you one and have you start with them as a new Patek customer.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 09:03 AM   #11
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I purchased my 5196G from my AD about 2 years ago, with a decent (i.e. low double digit percent) discount. It seems the days of discounts are largely gone now. I remember when 25-33% discounts were achievable. Glory days.

My advice would be, you should buy the watch you want — and only that.

The notion of having to kiss AD ass and be forced to buy watches (or jewelry) I don't want, just for an increased chance to buy a watch I do want, is abhorrent to me. For me, it's MRSP at most — not a dime more — or bust.

My AD has been good to me, and I've been good to them. Strive to foster a mutually respectful relationship, as business associates, as human beings. Be understanding of their position, and make sure they are understanding of yours.

But in the end, buy only what you want. And on that score, the 5196 is a very nice watch in it's own right, all by itself.

So if you like it, buy it — and enjoy it. And don't play the game, don't get pimped.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2022, 05:41 PM   #12
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
I purchased my 5196G from my AD about 2 years ago, with a decent (i.e. low double digit percent) discount. It seems the days of discounts are largely gone now. I remember when 25-33% discounts were achievable. Glory days.

My advice would be, you should buy the watch you want — and only that.

The notion of having to kiss AD ass and be forced to buy watches (or jewelry) I don't want, just for an increased chance to buy a watch I do want, is abhorrent to me. For me, it's MRSP at most — not a dime more — or bust.

My AD has been good to me, and I've been good to them. Strive to foster a mutually respectful relationship, as business associates, as human beings. Be understanding of their position, and make sure they are understanding of yours.

But in the end, buy only what you want. And on that score, the 5196 is a very nice watch in it's own right, all by itself.

So if you like it, buy it — and enjoy it. And don't play the game, don't get pimped.

Perfectly stated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2022, 03:50 AM   #13
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
Perfectly stated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hear, hear!