The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 February 2022, 03:20 PM   #1
redzak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5968
Icon8 Suggestions sourcing Patek/Rolex

So I have been a Patek and Rolex buyer/collector for the last 8/9 years. Currently I have 4 Patek and 4 Rolex in my collection (amongst others) - all acquired new from the same AD. I totally get the supply chain/demand issues, but for the last 18 months I have been totally frozen out by my dealer. Previously they had been responsive and transparent with me - now I have a hard time getting phone calls/emails returned (if at all) and although I have given them a wide range of pieces I would be interested in - nothing. My approach had been to build a strong relationship with a single AD and the rest would take care of itself - this worked well for several years as they were able to source hard to get pieces (5711, 5968 etc) in the beginning. I should note that I have never sold a watch so am not in the flipper category. Any suggestions - I have tried speaking with the owner with little success (other than if you purchase jewelry from us that might help). We are not jewelry people so that really does not work for us. I simply have a passion for watches. Suggestions?
redzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 03:25 PM   #2
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Welcome to the club, I have multiple buying history with ADs but as of late I think all the watches are going straight to the greys.
Old 9 February 2022, 06:26 PM   #3
Patekaholik
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP ROLEX
So let me get this straight, you have been allocated 5968, 5711 etc and you are complaining you are not being treated as a king during these new specific times? People are buying watches they dont want in order to be put on a list and yet here you are crying about your AD even though youve been served things many wont see in a lifetime unless they go to the grey market
Patekaholik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 11:38 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

IL dealer... makes sense now. Good luck.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 12:11 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

ADs are in the business of making money. They can sell a watch for $50k to someone who is "passionate about watches" or sell it through the back door for $150k. It's a tough choice. If people who are "passionate about watches" buy some PCs and a few ladies watches and not always ask the AD about the "hot watches", I am sure they are still approachable and not give the "passionate watch people" the cold shoulder.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 12:50 AM   #6
bearsfan172
"TRF" Member

CD Peacock or Razny?

Regardless - I think it's pretty difficult to expect them to continue allocating hard to find watches (which right now is almost any Patek, and any SS Rolex) if you aren't willing to play ball on expanding the categories you are willing to shop in.

In these times that essentially means jewelry, or maybe some women's watches because they can sell every men's watch they get without ever putting it in the case. It sounds like you have a long track record of only buying harder-to-find items, which actually might be more negative than positive at this point.

It's possible things will slow down at some point here, but I'd be very happy with what you have been allocated to date. Out of curiosity - what have you been asking for?
bearsfan172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 12:59 AM   #7
train-time
"TRF" Member

Welcome to 2022! I can get any Rolex I want from my local Rolex AD as long as the deal nets them close to current market value. Unfortunately, this is the only AD in the whole state. Rolex saw to that over the past few years.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:11 AM   #8
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan172 View Post
CD Peacock or Razny?

Regardless - I think it's pretty difficult to expect them to continue allocating hard to find watches (which right now is almost any Patek, and any SS Rolex) if you aren't willing to play ball on expanding the categories you are willing to shop in.

In these times that essentially means jewelry, or maybe some women's watches because they can sell every men's watch they get without ever putting it in the case. It sounds like you have a long track record of only buying harder-to-find items, which actually might be more negative than positive at this point.

It's possible things will slow down at some point here, but I'd be very happy with what you have been allocated to date. Out of curiosity - what have you been asking for?

It's not CD Peacock. They are no longer listed as a Patek AD on Patek's site. Must have been that lawsuit about their back door!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 02:01 AM   #9
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Welcome to world after covid
Hang in and its been crazy.

One of the reason: a lot of ADs are cut by Patek and Rolex. So more power/monopoly to current ADs going forward.

You are in state of IL and only Razny's carries Patek starting 2022.
Old 10 February 2022, 02:03 AM   #10
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
It's not CD Peacock. They are no longer listed as a Patek AD
Yup!
As of Feb 2022, in States, Patek's AD are down to 61 in total.
Old 10 February 2022, 02:22 AM   #11
bearsfan172
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
It's not CD Peacock. They are no longer listed as a Patek AD on Patek's site. Must have been that lawsuit about their back door!
Oh wow didn't realize that. Not much of a loss but it is interesting for the fairly large Chicago market to only have one AD.

Razny has been very transparent that they don't want to just be a watch shop where you show up and buy heavy hitter Pateks every year or two.
bearsfan172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 02:29 AM   #12
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
@ redzak join the club 3 plus years ago I was able to get a 5711, 5167a, and a few very hard to get ss rolex sport models from my AD. He would reach out to me personally saying hey i got this if your interested come on in since he knows my entire collection and what i wanted to add. Since then absolutely nothing and they know I'm a true collector and not a flipper. I even stop in every few months to talk timepieces since my sa is a super nice guy and very knowledgeableabout timepieces. Feels like I've been black listed.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 02:37 AM   #13
redzak
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5968
Icon7

To be clear - not all the pieces I own were hard to get (either at the time or just were not hot pieces). I bought the 5711 pre craziness - in fact my first watch from them was a 5146G, off the shelf. Have bought other similar pieces. I am not "crying/complaining" (well - maybe a little) - I know I was treated extremely well in the past. Was just trying to see if this is truly the state of the market and that my expectations should be not to expect anything further from them? I am at the point where I would pay over msrp which we seem to be doing for almost anything in life right now. Thanks for your responses.
redzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 03:16 AM   #14
somthingnew
"TRF" Member

I think we have the same dealer and I am getting the same response. Couldn't get anything in the Covid era so I have had to go open market.
somthingnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 03:22 AM   #15
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Welcome to the club, I have multiple buying history with ADs but as of late I think all the watches are going straight to the greys.
Absolutely
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote