The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2022, 04:40 AM   #31
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

If you're doing a one and done Rolex, go grey.

YG presi is definitely the way to go
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 05:00 AM   #32
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
You should shop around ADs and the first one that calls you, you can start building history with them :)
Old 18 February 2022, 05:05 AM   #33
Wine4Golf
"TRF" Member

Switch ADs, sounds like they're jerks
Wine4Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 09:09 AM   #34
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Anyone else feeling like OP just got "friend zoned" by his AD?
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 09:28 AM   #35
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

I love Tupac.
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:38 AM   #36
datdude321
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the feedback and advice, very appreciated! I do feel like I got friendzoned by my AD LOL!!!

I do think one of the reasons for the friendzone (that's funny) is they they assume I can't afford their watches because I wear boardshorts and flip flops, or sometimes come in dressed in old clothes... Idk, people are funny. I think its probably more of a pride thing at this point for me of wanting my AD to "accept me" into their club. I got this feeling one day they'll need my services and I'll be able to laugh about this. Looks like I'll just buy what I want on the grey and keep stopping in my AD to one day win them over. Again, thanks for all the feedback and advice!
datdude321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 12:04 PM   #37
scottywein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude321 View Post
Thank you all for the feedback and advice, very appreciated! I do feel like I got friendzoned by my AD LOL!!!

I do think one of the reasons for the friendzone (that's funny) is they they assume I can't afford their watches because I wear boardshorts and flip flops, or sometimes come in dressed in old clothes... Idk, people are funny. I think its probably more of a pride thing at this point for me of wanting my AD to "accept me" into their club. I got this feeling one day they'll need my services and I'll be able to laugh about this. Looks like I'll just buy what I want on the grey and keep stopping in my AD to one day win them over. Again, thanks for all the feedback and advice!
Not a bad idea. Perhaps, if you show up with a new Rolex, they'll feel they may have missed on a potential long term customer.

I went to a new AD in NYC and just talked watches with the manager for 15 minutes. Sent a follow up e-mail after they gave me their card and will pop in here and there to chat. NYC is a very in demand market but they also have a diamond district where people can spend $$$ over retail and not blink twice. Just the nature of where things are at this point.
scottywein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 01:43 PM   #38
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Well, maybe your AD is profiling and wants to sell to a certain demographic that you are not a part of? Tupac…HaHa…..MUTMAIPOTR
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 08:18 PM   #39
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... say I'm interested in Yachtmasters (I really want the Rhodium dial), GMTs, Explorers and Daytona's (I know this is a super long shot). I always mention that I really want anything available really :).
I think this is the biggest issue. It makes it seem like you just wanna any watch that you can flip. If you went in and concentrated on one model (out of those you listed YM with rhodium dial would be the easiest to get), you'd have gotten it by now. Instead you made it seem like you'll take anything that can make you profit. And if we are being honest, why would they give it to you when they can give it to anyone else who has a history with them?

I say that AD is probably lost, go to another one, ask for one specific model (ideally that YM, maybe the Explorer), wait, get it.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 12:04 AM   #40
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
IMHO, for the time and money you wasted with your AD, you could have bought the watch you wanted from a Grey a long time ago and could be shopping for your second....
That's what I'm thinking. Buy 20k of datejusts that you don't want or buy that BLNR?
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 03:05 AM   #41
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If they are a small town, family owned AD, their days with Rolex are numbered, so that day you’re fantasizing about may never come in terms of winning them over to acquire a Rolex….because they won’t be AD any longer..I wouldn’t waste any more $$$ with them.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 03:25 AM   #42
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Anyone else feeling like OP just got "friend zoned" by his AD?
Yes.

OP, if you've been waiting more than a few months for a Yachtmaster, you're likely not in their graces- even if you don't think you've done anything wrong. Humans aren't perfect, and neither is their judgment; and in general, Rolex ADs' judgment ranks somewhere between a dried tree stump and the dog doodie laying next to it. My guess is that they've already blacklisted you for some nonsensical reason, assuming there isn't more to your story.

I echo others' suggestions to seek out other ADs. Be chill, express interest in a Yachtmaster, and move on. What I would not do is utter the names "Daytona" or "Sky-Dweller" on your first few trips. Even if you want those down the line, you face a higher risk of being written off as a needy customer than one who will potentially go on to help said salesmen.

I like your story though: you grew up seeing a Rolex on Tupac's wrist and you've saved up money to buy one (don't sound poor, but do sound hard-working). You enjoy the brand and you want something that isn't a Submariner or GMT as your first watch. If I were a dealer who wanted to maximize revenue and minimize the number of hot pieces to sell, you'd sound like a promising lead. (Sorry for how arduous and objectifying this sounds, but I'd like to think the above reflects the reality we contend with these days)
Old 21 February 2022, 03:47 AM   #43
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

When you discuss your goals with the AD, what do they say?
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2022, 04:34 AM   #44
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Money can’t buy a relationship. Should have saved your money on the other tat jewellery and bought gray
Halifax Daytona UK is offline   Reply With Quote