The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2022, 03:13 PM   #1
hondacb1002
Banned

What 2021 reference do you think Rolex sold the least / had the least demand for?

What 2021 reference do you think Rolex sold the least / had the least demand for? I think the silver dial OP or the two tone explorer 1. probably of those two i would guess the two tone explorer 1.
hondacb1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 03:48 PM   #2
hellofromthebay
"TRF" Member

Air King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hellofromthebay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 06:49 PM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Watches made in limited numbers will have the highest demand and will sell in the least numbers. Watches with the least demand will be the models that get as far as the display case before being sold, but they still sell. Probably assorted flavours of TT jewelled DJ if what I see at my AD is anything to go by.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 06:51 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacb1002 View Post
What 2021 reference do you think Rolex sold the least / had the least demand for? I think the silver dial OP or the two tone explorer 1. probably of those two i would guess the two tone explorer 1.
Only Rolex themselves would know that, and would doubt if many members would know the reference numbers as most today only know Rolex watches by silly nicknames.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 06:58 PM   #5
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Watches made in limited numbers will have the highest demand and will sell in the least numbers. Watches with the least demand will be the models that get as far as the display case before being sold, but they still sell. Probably assorted flavours of TT jewelled DJ if what I see at my AD is anything to go by.
Yep something like the rainbow Daytona you would
Assume.

Or of course the off catalogue pieces, such as the meteorite diamond encrusted sky dweller that three were made of.
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 07:04 PM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Or of course the off catalogue pieces, such as the meteorite diamond encrusted sky dweller that three were made of.
I think you've just answered half the question, or possibly both. Good call.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 07:23 PM   #7
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Pearlmaster

Closely followed by Cellini
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 08:05 PM   #8
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofromthebay View Post
Air King.

Sold the least in 2021 is probably true, but demand is through the roof for the Air King. Secondary prices are over 120% retail at least.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 08:50 PM   #9
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
yacht master ll
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 10:25 PM   #10
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Yachtmaster II
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 11:10 PM   #11
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Only Rolex themselves would know that, and would doubt if many members would know the reference numbers as most today only know Rolex watches by silly nicknames.
Always a ray of sunshine, quick with a helpful and friendly comment.. Not sure if you know this, but every forum out there has a member just like you: The longtime member/curmudgeon whose whole shtick is to crap on the less tenured members under the silly guise of being experienced or whatever.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 11:24 PM   #12
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Not really a valid question because there’s too many variants to consider. Daytonas are the most common professional series partly because it has so many variants. Datejust is most common overall.

From what I’ve heard the rarest normal watch Rolex ADs are allocated are Milgauss and Airking.

Rolex seems pretty in tune with producing the highest volume with the highest demand.
Old 2 March 2022, 11:27 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
Always a ray of sunshine, quick with a helpful and friendly comment.. Not sure if you know this, but every forum out there has a member just like you: The longtime member/curmudgeon whose whole shtick is to crap on the less tenured members under the silly guise of being experienced or whatever.
And likewise every forum has a experiencent person like you, but experienced
in what that is the question.?

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 11:42 PM   #14
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Considering the paucity of watches in authorized dealers' cases, I'd say the watch model Rolex sold the least of would be the model they decided to build the least of.
Old 3 March 2022, 12:07 AM   #15
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
TV

And likewise every forum has a experiencent person like you, but experienced in what that is the question.?

In all the latest nicknamed models described by comic book characters, and soft drinks?

To the OP, you may be right or certainly on the right track. Contrary to internet hype and interest, it would likely include some of the favorite “sports” models. Rolex wasn’t built on Explorer’s, Subs, Dwellers, Daytona’s or others in the professional line. It was built on DJs, Lady DJs, and the like. Far more of these sell, and have been sold worldwide than what many here love the most. One thing is certain, Rolex will never tell and we can only guess. I’d love to know the real numbers but it’s interesting and fun to ponder.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 12:10 AM   #16
TexEd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 12:27 AM   #17
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What 2021 reference do you think Rolex sold the least / had the least demand for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacb1002 View Post

I think the answer to your question is possible in two variants.

Since Rolex sold 100% of their factory output, in one variant, the answer is based on which model they made in the least volume.

In the actual demand variant, based on which models are still in an ADs display case, my guess is one of the Cellini models or a 28mm Lady DJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 12:29 AM   #18
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think the answer to your question is possible in two variants.

Since Rolex sold 100% of their factory output, in one variant, the answer is based on which model they made in the least volume.

In the actual demand variant, based on which models are still in an ADs display case, my guess is one of the Cellini models or a 28mm Lady DJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wasn’t thinking about Cellini, but I like your answer. Yep.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 12:38 AM   #19
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Cellini
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 01:14 AM   #20
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
SS daytona
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 04:43 AM   #21
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah the white gold Cellini’s don’t sell well at all. I quite like them but not enough to shell out for one.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 04:48 AM   #22
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Probably the Submariner.
Old 3 March 2022, 06:56 AM   #23
dannyp
Banned

The one in the case.

Seriously, though, a non-hyped, high-cost, low-production model. That would likely be a good 28 or 31mm with diamonds, but nothing too outlandish to be considered particularly difficult to make.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 09:00 AM   #24
Farsh14
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Green Sub
Quote:
LOL so true. And if posts like yours, which I clicked on just to see what opinions would come out, and maybe some new insights, were to all of a sudden disappear, then what would be left on this forum? It's like whats the point of a forum if people can't ask "dumb" questions so they can one day be able to navigate through the that specific world they're interested in.
Farsh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 03:35 PM   #25
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Mo one really knows. It’s just a guess.

Beside the demand that makes some models “rare”, there is also the distributor requests factor. If in a specific market a certain model won’t sell, he will not order it and it may look “rare” while on another market it may be readily available.

Let’s say Canadian don’t buy TT models, then Rolex wont ship TT to Canada. It still doesn’t mean that TT is a rare watch.

But in general, the YM2 and the sky dweller are the rarest of all Rolex line . The fact that you see YM2 at AD is only due to low demand.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 03:44 PM   #26
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Ym ii
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 03:54 PM   #27
dsquared24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We get it. You don’t like the silly nicknames. And now you’re writing this in bold. He asked what we thought. He asked for an opinion. Not actual hard data. If that were the case the question would have been framed what IS the 2021 reference that Rolex sold the least.

As a long standing member you’d think you’d encourage members to contribute to the forum. Not continuously perpetuate your tired gripes about the use of nicknames or have this act of superiority that most members don’t know reference numbers but you obviously do.

Ease up a bit.
dsquared24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 03:57 PM   #28
Subguy48
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Another negative comment, what a surprise.
Subguy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 04:08 PM   #29
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I read this as in which new for 2021 model is the least popular. I don't have the answer but OP's guess of TT Explorer is probably up there.

If we're just talking about watches still being sold in 2021, Air King has to be up there, barring ladies' watches, Cellini, and other obscure references.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 04:36 PM   #30
dsquared24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsh14 View Post
LOL so true. And if posts like yours, which I clicked on just to see what opinions would come out, and maybe some new insights, were to all of a sudden disappear, then what would be left on this forum? It's like whats the point of a forum if people can't ask "dumb" questions so they can one day be able to navigate through the that specific world they're interested in.
dsquared24 is offline   Reply With Quote