The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2022, 07:34 PM   #151
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
What I personally found as not as appealing is how the bottom end of the case + lugs are actually NOT attached to the top of the case. Ie the construction is almost at least from what I saw and read, to the AP Code 11. What I always liked about Patek was how its cases were usually forged from a single block and nothing was attached later on (apart from a few exceptions). For example if you look at Lange, you can see their cases have the round part and then the lugs soldered on. In Patek's case, often nothing was soldered and just crafted.

However now with this new release, they have gone, presumeably to maintain the clous de paris perhaps but the bottom part includes the lugs and therefore its not 1 piece with the top.
Yes, it's true, even if there is a reason to that. (and I must say I like that on an aesthetical standpoint, but that's subjective of course).

Regarding its origins, the design was already used in some ways in the 5975 chronograph revealed for the 2014 175th anniversary of the brand (so much before the 2019 AP Code 11.59).

Its lugs weren't attached to the sideband. Personally, it is again subjective but I find this conception visually very appealing.

For instance the 5320's case is "punched" while the 5172's lugs are added (and I imagine welded on the case itself).

Different conception for different decoration as well. The Lange case has very flat/simple surfaces whereas those Patek lugs receive "gaudrons", "stepped" or "3-tiered" as they translate in english if I'm correct. You can imagine that polishing the latter is a challenge compared to the Lange's. Hence, they migh consider doing things differently.

For the 5326/5226 (which are flat surfaces), it was because of the way the hobnail pattern will have to stop near the lugs and remain untouched while doing the polishing work. Or the inverse, doing the hobnail pattern without touching the polished surfaces.

Doing like this requires more adjustment skills to preserve the space between the lugs and the caseband. I don't think it was easy to implement.

However, tastes are tastes but it remains something challenging.

Just as a sidenote, you can notice if you have a look at the 6300 Grandmaster Chime and the 5531 WT Minute-Repeater, that they also have these "Clous de Paris" and that the lugs are seperated from the caseband as well :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2022, 09:21 PM   #152
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Could we see this one next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 April 2022, 09:39 PM   #153
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
Could we see this one next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn’t that the 1463 which the current 5172G is based on?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:09 AM   #154
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Isn’t that the 1463 which the current 5172G is based on?
In fact the pushers were indeed inspired from the 1463 but not the case. There have been so many dial layouts in the 1463 and former references that you can find nearly every hands shapes, numerals styles that existed. It is the same with 5070/5170/5172 dials versus the chrono-only vintage pieces.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2022, 12:12 AM   #155
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Yes it’s a 1463 from 1950