The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2022, 12:34 PM   #61
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Out of curiosity, why not put your name on the list for an OP36 as well? It's the same black (sunburst, not flat or lacquer) as the DJ, but without the shine of the PCL bracelet. Not saying you should prefer one over the other, but simply a means of (hopefully) decreasing wait time.
OP36 is a great looking watch but having owned OP34, I felt having a date function would be useful to have. I think OP36 is harder to acquire as well. I also have my name on the list for Daytona (for awhile) and I don't want to give an impression that I am putting my name for every watch out there.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 10:42 PM   #62
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Compromising always ends up costing you more money in the end. Regroup and buy the watch you really want.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 11:39 PM   #63
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
OP36 is a great looking watch but having owned OP34, I felt having a date function would be useful to have. I think OP36 is harder to acquire as well. I also have my name on the list for Daytona (for awhile) and I don't want to give an impression that I am putting my name for every watch out there.
That makes sense, on all fronts. If you actually like the date and are unbothered by the shinier case/bracelet it's a beautiful watch. I do think it's easier to get, too, but don't think there's a huge risk in telling AD "hey, if you happen to get OP36 black in first, I might be open to that and would love to see it." But do what's comfortable/buy what you like .

By the way, if the AD, or another nearby, has an exhibition Explorer I it's worth trying on. It's not much bigger than your old OP, but it just wears differently from the current OP/DJ36. That it's technically a little smaller (diameter still 36, but more lug taper with narrower, more tapered bracelet) means little, as its proportions are just different.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 12:12 PM   #64
leed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That makes sense, on all fronts. If you actually like the date and are unbothered by the shinier case/bracelet it's a beautiful watch. I do think it's easier to get, too, but don't think there's a huge risk in telling AD "hey, if you happen to get OP36 black in first, I might be open to that and would love to see it." But do what's comfortable/buy what you like .

By the way, if the AD, or another nearby, has an exhibition Explorer I it's worth trying on. It's not much bigger than your old OP, but it just wears differently from the current OP/DJ36. That it's technically a little smaller (diameter still 36, but more lug taper with narrower, more tapered bracelet) means little, as its proportions are just different.
I have considered Explorer 1 but I feel it would be a little small for me, as I found OP 34 small and couldn't bond with it. But I am very glad people are really enjoying smaller watches as I gravitate toward under 40 mm watches personally.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 09:32 AM   #65
Kino888
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36
Quote:
Nice comparison shot! One thing that the light does't fully reveal is that the whites on those particular 34 and 36 dials are different shades.

Personally, I would try and find a used watch dealer with a white 114200 to compare side-by-side. Light dials do indeed tend to wear larger. The dial on that watch is also beautiful - the shade, an eggshell more than a white, is pretty unique. If you like it, then have Rolex swap dials at service. There's also the older Explorer-style white dial, with black 3-6-9, which is great, too (not sure if Rolex gives you the choice between them).

One thing to note: Last generation of OP/DJ wore larger in every size than its current generation counterpart. Yours is more of a 35mm, while the current one is a "true" 36. Of the current generation, my favorite is actually the Explorer, as I've said many times. But it won't wear a whole lot bigger than your watch.

I'd personally go for the OP36 126000 in silver. Wears the largest and the YG markers/hands reflect beautifully on the silver dial. White dial DJ is nice, but only if you're alright with a) polished center link bracelet and b) Roman numeral dial w/o lume.
Why do some people think that the white color is different on the OP34 then on the OP36 produced from 2017-2019? I’ve asked this question before and someone had both watches in their possession and told me they were exactly the same white. Of course the 36 has double batons (which I like, BTW) and a dark, numbered track around the edge of the dial, while the 34 has neither of these things.

I have not done an in person comparison myself, but I think the dials are the same shade of white, but there is some sort of optical illusion going on.

As far as the original question of this post goes, I think the OP should sell and move up to a 36, especially if the dial looks too small now. And, I recommend the OP does not get a new 36 Explore, because that watch is so small it will look practically the same as the one currently owned.
Kino888 is offline   Reply With Quote