The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 2022, 10:45 PM   #1
apinault
Banned

Prices not dropping?

Hey gang and happy Mother’s Day to everyone out there!
Interesting, I think, people are saying prices are dropping on the grey market. David S W sure isn’t. I’ve been monitoring a few DJ41s and the price haven’t budged. Maybe just on chrono they’re dropping? Anyway DSW seems to be a pretty reputable seller maybe that’s why.
Have a great Sunday!
Old 8 May 2022, 10:49 PM   #2
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinault View Post
Interesting, I think, people are saying prices are dropping on the grey market. David S W sure isn’t. I’ve been monitoring a few DJ41s and the price haven’t budged. Maybe just on chrono they’re dropping? Anyway DSW seems to be a pretty reputable seller maybe that’s why.
Have a great Sunday!
We don't know if and what they are trading for. David has lots of influence on grey values. I suspect once or if his prices drop, it could have a broad effect.

Wait and see.
Old 8 May 2022, 10:49 PM   #3
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
I just watch this video yesterday about prices. They are indeed dropping. You are looking at just list prices.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fTclY3M1vRk
Old 8 May 2022, 10:52 PM   #4
blargle
Banned

Quote:
Have a great Sunday!
the the greys can hold out a bit longer, just like the property market, but once it pops, it just wont stop :)
Old 8 May 2022, 10:53 PM   #5
rolex16
Banned

Already discussed ad nauseam. Prices are dropping, but big greys holding firm. I would not even think about buying anything from grey/secondary other than straight up vintage right now. More room to fall...
Old 8 May 2022, 10:57 PM   #6
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
Already discussed ad nauseam. Prices are dropping, but big greys holding firm. I would not even think about buying anything from grey/secondary other than straight up vintage right now. More room to fall...
This. The guy who runs Moda a sold a panda Daytona the other day for $37k via auction. Prices are down significantly. Grey list prices aren’t reflecting mkt value. They know once they start dropping prices it will be a rush for the exit with each trying to undercut the other to move underwater inventory.
Old 8 May 2022, 10:58 PM   #7
blargle
Banned

once the prices pop

they just wont stop!!
Old 8 May 2022, 11:08 PM   #8
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Sell sell sell
Old 8 May 2022, 11:09 PM   #9
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I would think a thread like this would make everyone on this forum very very happy. Everyone’s been bitching about pricing for the last 5-6 years. It had to crash sometime and it looks like now is the time. The stock market going to continue to decline and energy costs are skyrocketing. That hurts overall business and is going to push out all the people that had extra money that really weren’t interested in the hobby to begin with. Flippers will stop buying to flip and that will lead to extra inventory for those who actually want these special timepieces. People here should be celebrating.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 8 May 2022, 11:09 PM   #10
shirtguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub-c Date
David is keeping his prices more or less the same

However he is buying at a lower price
Old 8 May 2022, 11:11 PM   #11
blargle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I would think a thread like this would make everyone on this forum very very happy. Everyone’s been bitching about pricing for the last 5-6 years. It had to crash sometime and it looks like now is the time. The stock market going to continue to decline and energy costs are skyrocketing. That hurts overall business and is going to push out all the people that had extra money that really weren’t interested in the hobby to begin with. Flippers will stop buying to flip and that will lead to extra inventory for those who actually want these special timepieces. People here should be celebrating.
my portfolio is down about 100 rolexes.... so im not celebrating believe me
Old 8 May 2022, 11:12 PM   #12
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
I agree, but it seems enthusiasts of that mindset are in short supply around here…
Old 8 May 2022, 11:14 PM   #13
orthopa
"TRF" Member

Interest rates are going up sharply, the money supply is contracting. Prices for all assets are going to contract. Some faster then others but luxury items are likely the first to drop.

House prices, stocks, bond prices, used car prices, luxury items all will drop in price. Just give it time. The greys maybe trying to eek out a couple grand more but the price drop with come. The money supply is contracting and quickly.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:15 PM   #14
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
I’ve noticed that some of the smaller Greys pricing has fallen. NashV watch for example has lowered several of his more expensive pieces in the last few weeks. Also I’ve noticed that the smaller ones including DVSW isn’t buying the same way either. I am by no stretch of the imagination a flipper but I recently moved out some of my collection to make room for some new pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2022, 11:16 PM   #15
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtguy View Post
David is keeping his prices more or less the same

However he is buying at a lower price
Correct, and in some cases he’s declining to purchase various references.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:17 PM   #16
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For many people it will be tough times ahead for sure, no relief in sight. Expensive inflation, energy, and money. Personally I just want to be able to walk into an AD, ask what is available and walk out with a watch.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:18 PM   #17
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Stands to reason that the most hyped references are dropping for a few reasons. The Ukraine war, Chinese economic slowdown/lockdowns, and the pre Basel world speculation of discontinuation by "investors". I am shopping for a specific DJ41 or OP39 and they haven't seen any declines, but remember that there is zero selling price transparency in the secondary watch market. If a watch is one that folks buy to wear, I don't think much has changed.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
Old 8 May 2022, 11:26 PM   #18
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Anyone who doesn’t see that prices are falling and going to fall are fooling themselves. Same with selling a watch to a grey. They most likely won’t even offer to buy. That includes green subs and the different GMT’s that are out.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:26 PM   #19
apinault
Banned

If all that’s true, I hate going grey, but there’s a blue DJ41 on the site now, I’m tempted to make a lowball offer. My AD has already gotten me two pieces in 2 years, but I’m still waiting for more. Tired of waiting, and I luckily pulled some cash out of the market in January before the decline. I’d rather buy a watch with it at this point as we wait for the bottom lol
Old 8 May 2022, 11:38 PM   #20
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If all that’s true, I hate going grey, but there’s a blue DJ41 on the site now, I’m tempted to make a lowball offer. My AD has already gotten me two pieces in 2 years, but I’m still waiting for more. Tired of waiting, and I luckily pulled some cash out of the market in January before the decline. I’d rather buy a watch with it at this point as we wait for the bottom lol
I bet in six months you can buy for retail at a Rolex boutique.

Instagram - patton250
Old 8 May 2022, 11:40 PM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would not buy "used" Rolex watches online, I think the secondhand market is over-priced and should correct. If that happens, demand should lessen at ADs which will enable more folks to simply pay retail. Crazy to pay 3x MSRP on watches in many cases two or more years old and still regularly produced.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:40 PM   #22
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
For many people it will be tough times ahead for sure, no relief in sight. Expensive inflation, energy, and money. Personally I just want to be able to walk into an AD, ask what is available and walk out with a watch.
The entire spectrum of the middle class will suffer. Of course the lower middle class as usual will be hit the hardest but the stock market collapse will hurt the upper middle class also. I hate it when the economy does this type of crap especially when it’s so avoidable. Oh well at least we can get whatever Watches we want at retail in the very near future. Remember the grays are used to have these watches at a discount when that’s what the market dictated. Maybe they will again one day. We used to get some great deals from David SW.

Instagram - patton250
Old 8 May 2022, 11:41 PM   #23
apinault
Banned

Quote:
I bet in six months you can buy for retail at a Rolex boutique.
Yes maybe you are right. And my AD is great and we’ve a good relationship, I’m just not a very patient person lol
Old 8 May 2022, 11:46 PM   #24
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes maybe you are right. And my AD is great and we’ve a good relationship, I’m just not a very patient person lol
None of us really are anymore. I understand. Go ahead and get it then. At least that model isn’t marked up that badly

Instagram - patton250
Old 8 May 2022, 11:53 PM   #25
apinault
Banned

Quote:
None of us really are anymore. I understand. Go ahead and get it then. At least that model isn’t marked up that badly
Exactly! To be honest it’s “only” about $1500 over what I’d be paying if I got at AD if you factor in sales tax. Because buying from him I believe there isn’t any. And Marc Goldberg has spoken very highly if DSW and bought from them.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:54 PM   #26
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
Exactly! To be honest it’s “only” about $1500 over what I’d be paying if I got at AD if you factor in sales tax. Because buying from him I believe there isn’t any. And Marc Goldberg has spoken very highly if DSW and bought from them.
I would not do it. Be patient and don't feed this market, let it come down.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:55 PM   #27
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
David SW is the best. He really is. It is a no-brainer. Definitely pull the trigger tomorrow. $1500 over is nothing especially when you consider taxes. Dude you have an early congratulations from me.

Instagram - patton250
Old 8 May 2022, 11:58 PM   #28
apinault
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex16 View Post
I would not do it. Be patient and don't feed this market, let it come down.
I know! Honestly hate to do it, wish I were more patient. Lol never been my strong suit.
Old 8 May 2022, 11:59 PM   #29
apinault
Banned

Quote:
David SW is the best. He really is. It is a no-brainer. Definitely pull the trigger tomorrow. $1500 over is nothing especially when you consider taxes. Dude you have an early congratulations from me.
Haha thanks! I’ll definitely let you know if I do it. :)
Old 9 May 2022, 12:00 AM   #30
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
The used car market reportedly is starting to come down. Housing remains strong here where I live because demand is still growing. Since the supply of Rolex will not change in the short-term, the slowing economy will likely soften demand, which will in turn help prices to lower a bit.

I, however, will put my money somewhere else, where it can work for me. Hopefully. ;)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Closed Thread