The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 June 2022, 11:14 PM   #691
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Ceramic Daytona @ $29 650 (which is £23 700)?
This watch currently retails at £11600 in the UK if you can get one so this is still just over twice the new price.

I know that they are hard to get and popular, but this still looks very expensive to me!
Old 7 June 2022, 11:17 PM   #692
AmirudinAbduk
"TRF" Member

in uk , ceramic black dial daytona is around 32k +
most of the greys are still holding their prices.
Old 7 June 2022, 11:20 PM   #693
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
This watch currently retails at £11600 in the UK if you can get one so this is still just over twice the new price.

I know that they are hard to get and popular, but this still looks very expensive to me!

I'd say it's impossible for me to get at retail, having done some digging. I've ruled out an MSRP one ever happening for me.

Before the madness they were going at about £18k or so (in 2019), so if they came back to £20k odd it would be a viable consideration for me.
Old 7 June 2022, 11:21 PM   #694
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirudinAbduk View Post
in uk , ceramic black dial daytona is around 32k +
most of the greys are still holding their prices.
I've seen a few starting with a 2 now, they've breached the £30k mark.
Old 7 June 2022, 11:27 PM   #695
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
I'd say it's impossible for me to get at retail, having done some digging. I've ruled out an MSRP one ever happening for me.

Before the madness they were going at about £18k or so (in 2019), so if they came back to £20k odd it would be a viable consideration for me.
I suppose, at a very strong push, I could maybe understand high teens for one of these, but I personally wouldn't buy one over MRRP.
Old 7 June 2022, 11:33 PM   #696
sudo_root
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Find it amazing that people are considering “buying” during a downward trend, if you’ve been patient all these years a few more months will save you big time.
Old 7 June 2022, 11:52 PM   #697
AmirudinAbduk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've seen a few starting with a 2 now, they've breached the £30k mark.
hopefully it wont stop there.
Old 8 June 2022, 12:02 AM   #698
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirudinAbduk View Post
hopefully it wont stop there.

I am with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I suppose, at a very strong push, I could maybe understand high teens for one of these, but I personally wouldn't buy one over MRRP.

I have to admit the Daytona is a big 180 from me, wasn't a fan but have an odd hankering for one now. I would always be reluctant to pay over MSRP for anything to be honest, but would have to accept no choice if I want a Daytona.

My female AD told me she has more chance of growing a peni5 than being able to get me one

I'd want to see it far lower than late £20's though, paying more than 2 x MSRP is one I couldn't even use man maths to justify to myself.
Old 8 June 2022, 12:02 AM   #699
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I am with you

I have to admit the Daytona is a big 180 from me, wasn't a fan but have an odd hankering for one now. I would always be reluctant to pay over MSRP for anything to be honest, but would have to accept no choice if I want a Daytona.

My female AD told me she has more chance of growing a peni5 than being able to get me one

She's a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 June 2022, 12:15 AM   #700
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
She's a keeper.

Haha
Old 8 June 2022, 12:18 AM   #701
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
She's a keeper.

now that's an AD relationship right there lol
Old 8 June 2022, 01:19 AM   #702
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Hey guys let's stay on track, don't wander off into politics or the thread will get shut down.

Back to the happening: Not seeing a crash, only about 25% price correction. The downward slide has stalled.
Old 8 June 2022, 01:23 AM   #703
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Hey guys let's stay on track, don't wander off into politics or the thread will get shut down.
True, though no great loss if it does get shut down. IMO this thread just goes in circles of opinions.

No one knows what will happen to the price of a wrist watch 6 months from now.
Old 8 June 2022, 01:26 AM   #704
buhdeh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
in surprisingly many threads here there is some manifestation of the "culture war" visible, sometimes subtle sometimes overtly .. surprisingly is is always coming from the right.. boy i miss the days when being right was about small government and low taxes
Yup. What does the post he quoted even have to do with “leftists”. So idiotic.
Old 8 June 2022, 01:38 AM   #705
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
True, though no great loss if it does get shut down. IMO this thread just goes in circles of opinions.

No one knows what will happen to the price of a wrist watch 6 months from now.
The price erosion can certainly be tracked, it's not a matter of opinion at all. Just don't click if you don't care (it's not that hard )
Old 8 June 2022, 02:01 AM   #706
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
The price erosion can certainly be tracked, it's not a matter of opinion at all. Just don't click if you don't care (it's not that hard )

Sure one can track pricing trends, but “it’s a crash” vs “it’s just a dip” is where this goes around and around.

Also, by your same logic it’s also not that hard to just move on and not respond to me rather than point out the obvious….”Roll eyes” emoji.
Old 8 June 2022, 02:05 AM   #707
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
What I don't understand from reading this mess of a thread I started is while we can all spec on the secondary watch market direction, doesn't everyone want prices to crater? The goal being better availability at retail or prices close to it? Isnt that what we all want?

I feel like anyone who doesn't want it to happen has invested their ego into their watch(es) or is in it for the wrong reasons.
Old 8 June 2022, 02:13 AM   #708
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Sure one can track pricing trends, but “it’s a crash” vs “it’s just a dip” is where this goes around and around.

Also, by your same logic it’s also not that hard to just move on and not respond to me rather than point out the obvious….”Roll eyes” emoji.
It's a dip so far. I'm hoping it develops into a crash.
Old 8 June 2022, 02:14 AM   #709
rpstrimple
"TRF" Member

Can someone educate me on why folks make you pay extra for a box? Saw a seller list a blue skydweller for 30k and he wants 250 more for the box. Like, what are we doing here people.

More on topic: I wonder if we’ve found a level of support for prices for now. Crypto has been barcoding for a bit now and the markets have been similar. Still seems to be inventory sitting around though. Maybe people are waiting to see what happens. If you’ve waited this long m, surely you could wait a few more months.
Old 8 June 2022, 02:31 AM   #710
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstrimple View Post
Can someone educate me on why folks make you pay extra for a box? Saw a seller list a blue skydweller for 30k and he wants 250 more for the box. Like, what are we doing here people.

More on topic: I wonder if we’ve found a level of support for prices for now. Crypto has been barcoding for a bit now and the markets have been similar. Still seems to be inventory sitting around though. Maybe people are waiting to see what happens. If you’ve waited this long m, surely you could wait a few more months.
Nickel and dime-ing on the boxes. I’ve noticed it on the smaller backpack dealers.

Regarding the market, I personally think it’s too soon to say. The Federal Reserve is due to meet later this month and July. Half percentage (50 basis points) increases are supported by various FOMC members and very likely to occur. (No August meeting).

The Sept meeting is when they’ll regroup and look at how inflation and other metrics are trending. If inflation persists then, they have said they’ll resort to rate increases on an even faster pace.

In short, things can change drastically within the next 2-4 months. My personal opinion is prices will continue their decline.
Old 8 June 2022, 02:47 AM   #711
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanerai12 View Post
What I don't understand from reading this mess of a thread I started is while we can all spec on the secondary watch market direction, doesn't everyone want prices to crater? The goal being better availability at retail or prices close to it? Isnt that what we all want?

I feel like anyone who doesn't want it to happen has invested their ego into their watch(es) or is in it for the wrong reasons.
I’m with you here. I have a nice list of watches I would like to enjoy. I want just this small corner of my life to go back to normal where i can go into a store and pick and choose what I’d like to buy. It doesn’t seem too much to ask. Nor does it seem like too much to ask to have a friendly conversation with an ad or grey about different models, brands, movements or other things just for the sheer enjoyment of the hobby.
Old 8 June 2022, 04:27 AM   #712
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
I’m with you here. I have a nice list of watches I would like to enjoy. I want just this small corner of my life to go back to normal where i can go into a store and pick and choose what I’d like to buy. It doesn’t seem too much to ask. Nor does it seem like too much to ask to have a friendly conversation with an ad or grey about different models, brands, movements or other things just for the sheer enjoyment of the hobby.
Absolutely correct. It was nice to mark a milestone by actually going, looking, trying on and picking out the watch or that feeling of going in to get that watch you have been pining for, or get one as a gift for someone or go and compare models, see colorways, just browse to kill some time, etc. Oh, and the SAs actually tried to sell you a watch ie try to entice/convince/persuade.

Hopefully we will get back there.
Old 8 June 2022, 04:35 AM   #713
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
Nickel and dime-ing on the boxes. I’ve noticed it on the smaller backpack dealers.

Regarding the market, I personally think it’s too soon to say. The Federal Reserve is due to meet later this month and July. Half percentage (50 basis points) increases are supported by various FOMC members and very likely to occur. (No August meeting).

The Sept meeting is when they’ll regroup and look at how inflation and other metrics are trending. If inflation persists then, they have said they’ll resort to rate increases on an even faster pace.

In short, things can change drastically within the next 2-4 months. My personal opinion is prices will continue their decline.
+1 and wait for other central banks to follow the movement...
Old 8 June 2022, 04:54 AM   #714
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh, and the SAs actually tried to sell you a watch ie try to entice/convince/persuade.
haha i think they will have to un-learn and re-learn a lot of vocabulary
Old 8 June 2022, 05:06 AM   #715
rolex16
Banned

Quote:

I agree with this 100%.
Old 8 June 2022, 05:11 AM   #716
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

I want the prices to drops/crater - but I don’t want it to be because we hit a major recession. The reason prices are dropping now, I would think, isn’t because there’s less subjective/intrinsic/whatever desire for the pieces or because Rolex is making a lot more pieces. It’s because there’s fear out there - for some spending freely today isn’t the same as it was in 2021. People invested in markets (whatever they are) are watching unrealized losses and are feeling poorer.

So I want to get that BLRO at MSRP or MSRP + a small premium, but I don’t want to not have a job, have my friends not to have a job, etc. It has nothing to do with investing in watches—which I don’t do. I just buy and keep.
Old 8 June 2022, 05:17 AM   #717
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
I want the prices to drops/crater - but I don’t want it to be because we hit a major recession. The reason prices are dropping now, I would think, isn’t because there’s less subjective/intrinsic/whatever desire for the pieces or because Rolex is making a lot more pieces. It’s because there’s fear out there - for some spending freely today isn’t the same as it was in 2021. People invested in markets (whatever they are) are watching unrealized losses and are feeling poorer.

So I want to get that BLRO at MSRP or MSRP + a small premium, but I don’t want to not have a job, have my friends not to have a job, etc. It has nothing to do with investing in watches—which I don’t do. I just buy and keep.
Well stated. Agreed.
Old 8 June 2022, 05:18 AM   #718
rolex16
Banned

Quote:

Unless what fueled all this is what also led to runaway inflation. In that case, it all needs to revert back to the norm across the board. Take gas prices. Maybe some will make less money or lose jobs if they come back down, but that is better for the economy and that majority of folks, so most would not argue they need to come down. Same goes for other prices that have gone up. Even the stock market went beyond its normal trajectory and is simply correcting back to where it would have been under normal growth. This is not doom and gloom, it is a necessary regression to the mean.
Old 8 June 2022, 06:33 AM   #719
G23Guy
Banned

Watch: Panda Daytona
Quote:
People invested in markets (whatever they are) are watching unrealized losses and are feeling poorer.

I just want the flippers who commoditized and destroyed this hobby to get hurt. Nobody else.
Old 8 June 2022, 06:42 AM   #720
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G23Guy View Post
I just want the flippers who commoditized and destroyed this hobby to get hurt. Nobody else.
I don’t know who is the most to “blame” - I guess I blame the flipper as you do, who I describe as the person who buys from the AD then sells to the grey dealer (and the AD if the now it’s happening or are supportive of it). But I guess that those people are the least likely to get hurt in this because they sold to the grey dealer who is now holding the bag.
Closed Thread