The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 November 2021, 10:04 PM   #61
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Blockchain is very useful and largely misunderstood.

Did Breitling do this for theft/ownership issues? Or did Breitling do it for parts, manufacture and assembly verification?
https://www.breitling.com/us-en/service/blockchain/
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 10:32 PM   #62
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I don’t know but this thread really got me thinking about how the vast majority of us spend our days doing nothing that contributes to anything of real value…..

On a lighter note…..there’s Top Golf!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 10:42 PM   #63
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
Thanks, so it is ownership based
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 12:32 AM   #64
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
blockchain certificate seems to have no use in preventing fraudulent/stolen watches as you have explained, then why breitling implemented it in the first place? do you think you know more than breitling? if breitling can implement it without affecting too much the total cost, I cannot see why rolex will be hurt doing it.

Please re-read my post.

I only commented on how NFT wouldn’t affect grey marketers.

I specifically stayed away from the items you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 01:04 AM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Blockchain is … largely misunderstood …
I admit, I’m in this camp Brian
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 01:16 AM   #66
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

What is the problem that NFT would solve for the Rolex company?
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 01:25 AM   #67
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Agreeing with 77…. Like the title to a car…. Anyone can “skip” transferring it, and then resell it to the next buyer….

But NFT’s would be very helpful with the authenticity of each and every single piece/part of any product forever.
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 11:57 PM   #68
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
NFT blockchain technology is 100% the future of ownership for luxury items.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2021, 11:59 PM   #69
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
NFT blockchain technology is 100% the future of ownership for luxury items.
Kind of like a warranty certificate? Or a plastic card? Or a plastic card with a hologram?

There will always be a way to defeat authenticity verification.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 7 November 2021, 12:07 AM   #70
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Kind of like a warranty certificate? Or a plastic card? Or a plastic card with a hologram?

There will always be a way to defeat authenticity verification.

A plastic card with a hologram? Blockchain technology is infinitely harder to fake and establishes a digital chain of ownership. If acquired the correct way its extremely safe.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2021, 12:09 AM   #71
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
A plastic card with a hologram? Blockchain technology is infinitely harder to fake and establishes a digital chain of ownership. If acquired the correct way its extremely safe.
Failures and counterfeiting of blockchain and NFT's are already documented and easy to find with a sdimple search.

99.99% of watch owners do not care nor even understand how this would be of any benefit to them.

Blockchain as a tool for manufacture and parts inventory makes sense as it can be kept in house.
Old 7 November 2021, 01:02 AM   #72
Yachtyy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalclown View Post
Eventually the history of all valuable items will be tracked in blockchain, thats inevitable. This will stop the counterfeit industry. But I don't see this happening soon as the blockchain is not mature yet to be adopted by Rolex and Rolex' core target market doesn't see a value in it yet.
This
Yachtyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2022, 06:04 AM   #73
pegaxy
"TRF" Member

we’ll give a brief introduction to pegaxy, the distributed exchange, which recently went live on the Avalanche main net. Penguin uses the same automated marketmaking model as Uniswap and is able to trade any token on either the Ethereum or the Avalanche network.

pegaxy, pegaxy nft,
pegaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 07:32 PM   #74
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

An NFT can't possibly guarantee authenticity for a watch.

The only thing it can do is over-complicate the buying process. Do you even know how many steps are involved to setup a wallet and trade an NFT? Needing to pay for GAS fees etc. I can guarantee you that 97% of Rolex buyers aren't interested in doing that just for buying a watch.

More importantly, the certificate is completely useless and here is why:

How can it possibly guarantee authenticity? Just because you have a digital token, that's no guarantee that parts haven't been replaced? You know that fake watch manufacturers also put fake serial numbers on watches? You can basically end up with an entire fake watch - but with a real certificate.

It has no benefits, beyond just further complicating things, than the good ol' warranty card has. (Which is also kind of useless)
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 09:37 PM   #75
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
An NFT can't possibly guarantee authenticity for a watch.

The only thing it can do is over-complicate the buying process. Do you even know how many steps are involved to setup a wallet and trade an NFT? Needing to pay for GAS fees etc. I can guarantee you that 97% of Rolex buyers aren't interested in doing that just for buying a watch.

More importantly, the certificate is completely useless and here is why:

How can it possibly guarantee authenticity? Just because you have a digital token, that's no guarantee that parts haven't been replaced? You know that fake watch manufacturers also put fake serial numbers on watches? You can basically end up with an entire fake watch - but with a real certificate.

It has no benefits, beyond just further complicating things, than the good ol' warranty card has. (Which is also kind of useless)
I think you really have no idea how blockchain or even warranty cards work, that's why you think they're useless.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 09:54 PM   #76
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you really have no idea how blockchain or even warranty cards work, that's why you think they're useless.
I know exactly how both work and I never said blockchain was useless, it's just not a technology that has a useful place in the world of watches.

Or maybe you can give me 3 examples where blockchain would be useful compared to the systems that are already in place?
Old 28 July 2022, 10:00 PM   #77
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Not sure Rolex cares about that. They won't spend money for something not necessary for them
You beat me to it....on the larger scale its a cheap watch and mass produced.
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 02:42 AM   #78
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
I know exactly how both work and I never said blockchain was useless, it's just not a technology that has a useful place in the world of watches.

Or maybe you can give me 3 examples where blockchain would be useful compared to the systems that are already in place?
Currently, a plastic warranty card can be pretty easily lost or forged (and there are all sorts of issues with RFID chips in physical cards). Service papers with the watch can also be lost, misplaced, or forged pretty easily. It also may not be easy to establish legal ownership, in some cases, nor is there necessarily a universal way to establish that and/or communicate information on watches that are stolen. There is also a relatively new concern of authentic Rolex watches being illegally modified with illegal parts (e.g., turning a black OP 41 into a turquoise OP 41 with a forged dial).

Blockchain potentially provides a tool to authenticate, document the watch's legitimate OE factory configuration/specs, verify warranty status, log service history, and transfer ownership (some caveats there for sure, though). For that matter, it could also potentially be used to identify and locate stolen watches (and blacklist service to them).

Some makers have already begun using it:
https://www.breitling.com/us-en/blockchain/

Blockchain isn't going to solve all of the world's problems, there are certainly some major hurdles, and it obviously would have some limits to its ability to provide authentication, but it definitely has a lot of potential value here, in my personal opinion.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 02:56 AM   #79
JuraDrinker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
You’re digitalizing the papers but the ownership Is always linked to a person. Inside the blockchain Rolex would be able to instantly see how many watches an individual owns and sold and when this happened. You guys will say I’m nuts, but, I have a serious feeling this will be something they implement.

Retail will go more and more digital every day. It's inevitable that in the future anything collectible, rare, etc will implement some kind of digital aspect which includes blockchain technology. A lot of people today won't like it, nor believe it, but it will come whether they like it or not.

However, this problem for Rolex is not quite perfected yet. (I work in this industry)
The problem is linking the physical item to the NFT. For example, yes you can have an NFT certificate of authenticity, with a serial number matching the watch, maybe a laser engraved Qcode. However this doesn't stop a fake watch being produced to match the NFT.

Will Rolex use it? Yes, in house, mainly for internal tracking of parts and QC purposes. Will they use it in conjunction with the end consumer? Not yet, not for a long time yet, until someone solves the physical/NFT link.

First post for me btw, hi folks. As i say this is my industry so it peaked my interest enough to want to post :)
JuraDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 03:31 AM   #80
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
Currently, a plastic warranty card can be pretty easily lost or forged (and there are all sorts of issues with RFID chips in physical cards). Service papers with the watch can also be lost, misplaced, or forged pretty easily. It also may not be easy to establish legal ownership, in some cases, nor is there necessarily a universal way to establish that and/or communicate information on watches that are stolen. There is also a relatively new concern of authentic Rolex watches being illegally modified with illegal parts (e.g., turning a black OP 41 into a turquoise OP 41 with a forged dial).

Blockchain potentially provides a tool to authenticate, document the watch's legitimate OE factory configuration/specs, verify warranty status, log service history, and transfer ownership (some caveats there for sure, though). For that matter, it could also potentially be used to identify and locate stolen watches (and blacklist service to them).

Some makers have already begun using it:
https://www.breitling.com/us-en/blockchain/

Blockchain isn't going to solve all of the world's problems, there are certainly some major hurdles, and it obviously would have some limits to its ability to provide authentication, but it definitely has a lot of potential value here, in my personal opinion.
All reasons you gave are all surrounding the pre-owned market.

The only thing an NFT can do, is publicly document details about a watch - that at a monetary cost of GAS fees and further complications for the buyers.

It's in no company's best interest to make a buying process more complicated than it needs to be.

Rolex doesn't need an NFT to make a public database. They could simply host one on their own servers. Add a QR code to the warranty-card, or a field on the website where you can enter your serial number to get more information. But honestly, why should they?

The only ones that might find this useful would be the pre-owned market, but even then there's no guarantee you're getting original parts.

Someone could easily buy a genuine Rolex, swap the bezel, bracelet, clasp to an aftermarket one. If you'd look up the serial, or if you'd transfer the NFT, there would still be no way of knowing parts were swapped.

Taking the 'Tiffany' OP dial as an example. Someone could take out an original dial (to sell as part), swap in a fake tiffany dial and the buyer would be none the wiser.

Again, nothing against NFT's, but for luxury watches they just don't make any sense.

Everything that Breitling is doing with an NFT, they could do exactly the same, only much easier, on their own server-end. 99% of the stuff they offer with their "NFT" is actually hosted and run from their own servers already. It's used as nothing but a 'gimmick' to connect with the crypto-bro's.
Old 29 July 2022, 03:37 AM   #81
psya
"TRF" Member

They could seem as though everyone is turning that way
psya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 10:08 AM   #82
JuraDrinker
Banned

Quote:
All reasons you gave are all surrounding the pre-owned market
Nono you're missing my point - I agree - and this is why it's a problem that has not yet been solved. Nevertheless, there's no point ignoring the secondary market, it's very real and widely used.

Quote:
The only thing an NFT can do, is publicly document details about a watch - that at a monetary cost of GAS fees and further complications for the buyers.
Not true - an NFT proves digital ownership of that NFT, if you own the NFT technically you own the item associated and documented to it, be it a house, car, watch etc.
Secondly, the tech is in its infancy, hence where there are some gas fees involved on some chains. However there are chains/platforms in heavy use already which provide gasless transactions

Quote:
It's in no company's best interest to make a buying process more complicated than it needs to be.
Yep, I agree - again, its complex because it's new and clunky. It won't stay that way. Think how PC's from the 90's work compared to Macs from today, from a user perspective. Just because it's not ideal now, doesn't mean it wont be in the near future.

Quote:
Rolex doesn't need an NFT to make a public database. They could simply host one on their own servers. Add a QR code to the warranty-card, or a field on the website where you can enter your serial number to get more information. But honestly, why should they?
I guess my only argument for this, is why not? There are a number of benefits of a system like this to a wide audience, perhaps as an example think of a scenario where you have to claim on insurance for a watch, this would be a great way to prove without any doubt at all (automated) that you own that asset.
If you wanted to sell the watch, you can transfer ownership to the buyer and there is a full, immutable record of that transaction occurring. This has many benefits for individuals and businesses.

Quote:
The only ones that might find this useful would be the pre-owned market, but even then there's no guarantee you're getting original parts.
Not if Rolex used a similar system for parts too. There would be a full record of all items on the blockchain. (Again - the issue of linking the physical part to that NFT is an as yet unsolved problem)

Quote:
Someone could easily buy a genuine Rolex, swap the bezel, bracelet, clasp to an aftermarket one. If you'd look up the serial, or if you'd transfer the NFT, there would still be no way of knowing parts were swapped.

Taking the 'Tiffany' OP dial as an example. Someone could take out an original dial (to sell as part), swap in a fake tiffany dial and the buyer would be none the wiser.

Again, nothing against NFT's, but for luxury watches they just don't make any sense.
Yep, I totally, 100% agree, and this needs thrashing out over time by people a lot cleverer than I. However I'm in no doubt that something will appear. There's already nano-technology embedded in surface coatings which can store information - so perhaps this is an early solution.

Quote:
Everything that Breitling is doing with an NFT, they could do exactly the same, only much easier, on their own server-end. 99% of the stuff they offer with their "NFT" is actually hosted and run from their own servers already. It's used as nothing but a 'gimmick' to connect with the crypto-bro's.
Not quite - the blockchain is absolute and cannot be duplicated or illegitimately changed. It is a common misconception that it's a "crypto-bro" thing. They are simply jumping on one part of all this, which is what gets put into the news and media.
You only need to look into how some of the biggest brands/companies in the world are developing teams and systems all around this - you've had web1 and web2, this is web3. Its all about bridging the gap between physical life and digital life - something which digital ownership is very much needed for it to work. NFT's make that possible.

Overall I definitely believe it has a place in modern retail. How it works, and how we as consumers benefit is unclear and in its infancy, but as digital life develops, digital ownership will become more and more important. Then things like important documentation (which can be forged) can exist in an immutable system, for example car logbooks, house deeds, identification, certificates of authenticity (for things like artwork etc) can all take a leap forward and remove nasty things like being scammed for a fake watch.
Think of it now, you're buying a watch from the for sale section on the forum, "No Rolex NFT CoA" - easy walk away. "Includes Rolex NFT CoA" - this means you're one step closer to having a bit more piece of mind.

Either way, it excites me!
Old 29 July 2022, 11:25 AM   #83
2024 Pledge Member

So, what in the watch guarantees the nft goes with it, that the movement isn’t fake, etc.?

Seems like the nft can’t be faked but the watch certainly can.
433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 11:35 AM   #84
JuraDrinker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433 View Post
So, what in the watch guarantees the nft goes with it, that the movement isn’t fake, etc.?

Seems like the nft can’t be faked but the watch certainly can.
Yep therein lies the problem. It (in some ways) solves a few problems, but certainly not all, yet. Especially externally from a consumer point of view.

Here's another thing too - holding NFT's enable brands to give you token-gated access to benefits, events, merchandise etc. So it wouldn't necessarily just sit within an authentication setting.
That said, we don't get that now and I don't see that we would in the future anyway
That definitely works with other brands though for sure.
Old 29 July 2022, 12:18 PM   #85
ajw45
"TRF" Member

I hate this. I don't see how an nft or other digital cert authenticates a physical good. A digital transfer can be validated but it does not assure you have recieved an authentic matching watch in the real world. Qr codes are easily copied, nfc chips cost pennies and I can burn one with whatever I want at home, there is a huge difference between using digital for digital transactions and using digital for things in the real world. Maybe you won't want to buy a watch without the matching nft but many people won't care and once the 1:1 match is corrupted when someone superfakes a bunch of rolexes with the same qr/nfc/other code, it's all fubared.

People need to understand tracking and logging digital chain of custody is not at all the same as physical authentication.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 01:32 PM   #86
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
The NFT is a token that would be created by Rolex only. This would be transferred to the original buyer. It would then be kept in their krypto wallets. If the original seller was to sell the item, that nft would be transferred to the new buyer. This would also limit so called flippers and grey dealers.

If Rolex implemented it, this would be ground breaking.

I can’t shake the feeling that eventually nfts will be counterfeited and stolen. I mean, money makes the world go round, and you could be the richest human to ever live if you cracked that code.
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 03:28 PM   #87
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuraDrinker View Post
Yep therein lies the problem. It (in some ways) solves a few problems, but certainly not all, yet. Especially externally from a consumer point of view.

Here's another thing too - holding NFT's enable brands to give you token-gated access to benefits, events, merchandise etc. So it wouldn't necessarily just sit within an authentication setting.
That said, we don't get that now and I don't see that we would in the future anyway
That definitely works with other brands though for sure.
People don't need an NFT in order to get access to events, benefits and merchandise :-)

And here's another thing, someone talked about losing their 'warranty card' vs having an NFT that you can't lose.

What happens if you lose your crypto-wallet details? You're out of luck getting access back to that and I think the risk of someone losing their crypto wallet is much higher than of someone losing a physical card.

I dont know man.. I think the cons heavily outweigh the pros
Old 29 July 2022, 11:14 PM   #88
JuraDrinker
Banned

To the people saying "I hate this" "this wont work" etc. Yep companies will try, and fail. Companies will also try and succeed with it too.

Doesn't necessarily mean Rolex will or wont, in fact, I'm in the "won't" camp, because I agree there are too many issues with linking the physical and the digital asset. Rolex are not trend followers, they like to appear to set trends.

Nevertheless, don't worry, it will happen whether you like it or not - institutional money and the biggest companies in the world are pushing things this way with billions of dollars on the line. All aimed towards us, the consumers to spend more and more and moaaaaar money.

Strap in. It's one of those things that if you resist, you lose out. There's a wealth of opportunity in this industry, much like there was back in the early 2000's with the dot com boom. Those that ignored it then, well, what can I say.

Quote:
People don't need an NFT in order to get access to events, benefits and merchandise :-)
No you're right, they don't. However take this for an example.
Your favourite musician releases an NFT, which gives you backstage VIP access at shows. You can use it yourself at your local event, then you can rent it out to other fans around the world at other events, for a small (lol) fee. This can be programmed to be automatically returned to you, along with the money. And the event organisers have no doubts that passes for this are genuine.
There's even a Music NFT that I own in fact, it gives the owner a share of the royalties from streaming, which is pretty cool!

Quote:
And here's another thing, someone talked about losing their 'warranty card' vs having an NFT that you can't lose.

What happens if you lose your crypto-wallet details? You're out of luck getting access back to that and I think the risk of someone losing their crypto wallet is much higher than of someone losing a physical card.

I dont know man.. I think the cons heavily outweigh the pros
Losing access to these things is no more risky than losing your actual wallet, you just take sensible precautions, as you would do with any other item of property. The reason why it appears lackadaisical, is because people do not follow the things you should do.