The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 17 August 2022, 06:57 AM   #1
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Is an official Panerai buckle worth the cost?

I purchased a used PAM000, but unfortunately the buckle it came with seems a bit too small for the strap. It fits on the strap fine, but I cannot get the strap to feed through so I assume it is meant for a more tapered strap. The seller was selling with a deployant clasp but stated he would see if he had an extra buckle he could throw in so I can’t complain.

Anyway, I am looking on the Panerai site at the following buckle, but it is $270!! I am also not sure if this has the screw in versus spring bar type mechanism (doesn’t say on the site).

I see these on ebay for much cheaper stating they are OEM, but not sure if they are knock offs. Also not sure if I could get it cheaper at a Panerai dealer. Or should I just fork over the $270 and use it on several different straps, knowing it is high quality, official Panerai, and that will fit properly?

Trapezoidal Brushed Steel, 22mm, Luminor 44-47 Mm PAV00627
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 07:03 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the luxury watch world. Panerai straps is one of the huge appeal of the look and brand. The oem buckle is just as $$ as a oem strap. You will want all oem on your watch. Pony up and get the buckle. I did for 4 of them as I wanted to easily swap straps and on occasionally swap buckles. Look what we pay for a oem Panerai rubber strap.

Old 17 August 2022, 08:23 AM   #3
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/PAM
I've been burned on Ebay before with knock off buckles. Best bet would be to get it from a local AD and then you could always pick up a few straps from aftermarket makers and have them provide some non OEM buckles for those straps.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 10:21 AM   #4
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input. I am going to order it from the site.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 04:39 PM   #5
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

2 trains of thought here. Part of the Panerai appeal is the multitude strap makers many of whom add a sown in buckle too. In many cases you can create a bespoke strap, both in choice of material and exact lengths. I also have OEM and wear those with OEM buckles.
Old 17 August 2022, 09:53 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
2 trains of thought here. Part of the Panerai appeal is the multitude strap makers many of whom add a sown in buckle too. In many cases you can create a bespoke strap, both in choice of material and exact lengths. I also have OEM and wear those with OEM buckles.
x2

For OEM straps, I personally prefer OEM buckles. That being said, my strap collection is almost exclusively non-OEM from bespoke strap makers. One, I like supporting artisans and exchanging with them while ordering. The strap feels more personal to me that way. Two, I like sewn-in buckles so I don’t have to bother also switching buckles when changing straps. YMMV.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2022, 11:49 PM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post

Spot on

I have my all oem strap/buckle collection and then I have my aftermarket and bespoke custom straps that can get really get outside the box with exotic leathers.
Old 17 August 2022, 11:57 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m an OEM guy. I bought two straps: blue alligator and rubber. In both cases I bought them with the buckles, partly because I’m lazy
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2022, 12:17 PM   #9
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I would go OEM and thumbnail version. I have a 000 and that’s not what they come with but I prefer it.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2022, 07:57 AM   #10
PMDAY
"TRF" Member

I prefer the OEM buckle with my OEM straps like some have posted. Since I have 18 straps at present and like to have straps ready to install with tubes and buckles, I purchased some from etsy. It is difficult to see much difference in these $40 buckles, and they work great for my aftermarket straps.
PMDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 07:03 AM   #11
997targa
"TRF" Member

Maybe 20 straps after my first two years as Panerai fan and I haven’t paid for an OEM that didn’t come with the watch or strap I purchased. I do like the OEM but they have the curved ones as well or flat if you prefer in secondary or sewn with whoever makes your strap and oftentimes no difference. I wouldn’t pony up the $$ for the buckle and keep an eye out. You will find a strap w an OEM buckle included for much less. Or spend the $$ on a quality used strap and switch them.
997targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 04:14 PM   #12
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i bought a tang buckle (expensive) for pam510 because the deployant was worn out.

but ended up never using it because the strap options out there are infinite.

i dont think you need a oem buckle. i'd rather spend on getting straps
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 04:22 AM   #13
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
An OEM buckle for an OEM strap appeals to my sense of order and authenticity, however I have multiple custom leather straps (Cordes) with his excellent sewn in buckles in different finishes. The only OEM strap that I use regularly is a green rubber with a deployant buckle that I use in the summer on my designated water watch. I have a box of tang buckle straps and buckles that never see light.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 06:10 PM   #14
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
An OEM buckle for an OEM strap appeals to my sense of order and authenticity, however I have multiple custom leather straps (Cordes) with his excellent sewn in buckles in different finishes. The only OEM strap that I use regularly is a green rubber with a deployant buckle that I use in the summer on my designated water watch. I have a box of tang buckle straps and buckles that never see light.
The OEM rubber and deployant is a fantastic combination.
Old 11 September 2022, 09:20 PM   #15
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It's not a big deal to me when talking Panerai & Straps w/pin buckles. I've got 2 pams & probably 12 straps between them. Rather then swap buckles every time I change straps, I've got multiple aftermarket buckles (all "Pre-V") design. They've got a good selection of buckles & all kinds of other parts at panatime.com (24mm Titanium Pre-V is $20)

I will also say that some of my OEM buckles are so lightly stamped, that you have to be in the right light to read PANERAI on them at all. That really makes it harder for me to care... LOL
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 07:15 AM   #16
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy0331 View Post

I will also say that some of my OEM buckles are so lightly stamped, that you have to be in the right light to read PANERAI on them at all. That really makes it harder for me to care... LOL

I agree with this. All my Panerai tang and deployant buckles are stamped, but very lightly. I wonder if they are truly OEM, yet I have never seen one that is deeply stamped. Panerai needs to make their buckles more distinctive.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote