The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 September 2022, 10:21 AM   #1
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Are there ANY AD discounted references ?

I’ve been looking for a nice watch for wife and it got me thinking. I frequently see women’s models (particularly PM/diamond) from Omega up to 50 percent off on popular gray sites.

Even from my AD, the GO Lady Serenade and AT small seconds diamond bezeled I looked at, I was offered 20 percent before even asking.

When I inquired about a Lady DJ two tone with diamond bezel….well…waiting list and retail obviously.

So I’m genuinely curious. Is there ANY (size, sex, material, jeweled) new reference made by Rolex right now that would warrant a discount off retail at the moment? Do AD’s walk all offers on all watches. Not that I’m looking, just curious since I don’t know the Rolex market as well as most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 10:33 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No has been the answer the past 2 years. That seems primed for a change shortly looking at my tea leaves.
Old 20 September 2022, 12:47 PM   #3
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Why would a Rolex AD discount when they can force someone to buy at list via a bundle deal?
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 01:20 PM   #4
the_Hunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
Why would a Rolex AD discount when they can force someone to buy at list via a bundle deal?
and this is your answer!
Old 20 September 2022, 01:38 PM   #5
tpool
"TRF" Member

For now look to secondary market. But give it time bc the AD situation especially for women’s models will tend to turn first.

tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 01:48 PM   #6
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I bet in the right city, you can get a Pearlmaster at a discount.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 01:48 PM   #7
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Retail price IS the discount these days.
Old 20 September 2022, 04:31 PM   #8
mattidk
"TRF" Member

Good old days(years ago), ADs gave 15% off DJ models
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 06:10 PM   #9
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Retail price IS the discount these days.
Exactly. A 10-20% discount to market.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 06:32 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
I’ve been looking for a nice watch for wife and it got me thinking. I frequently see women’s models (particularly PM/diamond) from Omega up to 50 percent off on popular gray sites.

Even from my AD, the GO Lady Serenade and AT small seconds diamond bezeled I looked at, I was offered 20 percent before even asking.

When I inquired about a Lady DJ two tone with diamond bezel….well…waiting list and retail obviously.

So I’m genuinely curious. Is there ANY (size, sex, material, jeweled) new reference made by Rolex right now that would warrant a discount off retail at the moment? Do AD’s walk all offers on all watches. Not that I’m looking, just curious since I don’t know the Rolex market as well as most.

Simple answer no ever since Rolex watches become little more than £$€ object things .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 08:56 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Discounting destroys brand value.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 09:06 PM   #12
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
At some point one would hope a discount on PM could be obtained, which is way overpriced at retail compared to SS when you consider the actual value of the gold/platinum being used.
Old 20 September 2022, 10:38 PM   #13
slide13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattidk View Post
Good old days(years ago), ADs gave 15% off DJ models
Not just DJs either, I got 15% off on an 114060 Sub in 2017. Went to one AD, they had a green sub in the case but wouldn’t discount any Rolex (they were ahead of the times) so went to another where I was easily able to get 15% off and to inspect the two 114060 models they had in stock and pick the one I wanted. Those were the days! Crazy how much changed in 5 years.
slide13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 10:42 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Couldn’t agree more ^^^

I hope we never get back to the good old days.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 10:48 PM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Couldn’t agree more ^^^

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 20 September 2022, 11:00 PM   #16
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpool View Post
For now look to secondary market. But give it time bc the AD situation especially for women’s models will tend to turn first.

+1

Cellinis will turn first too. My AD has a few of them in stock I could maybe get at a minor discount if I wanted. DDs do seem to be much easier to get at my AD these days, they had a few YG in stock in the safe last visit. And one YM2.

The tide is turning but not much so far.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 11:09 PM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think Rolex corporate policy to ADs is no discounts. With ADs being closed they may be listening.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 05:16 AM   #18
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
But does it engender market share?

I'm not arguing, I agree with your statement 1000%.

But I will say that I am saving for a SeaQ. I would also say I would not being saving for a SeaQ if it could only be had at retail.

I didn't know it was Rolex corp policy to not discount. Is it just discouraged or is it a condition of dealer status? Obviously not an issue right now, but IF the market were to change, no AD wants excess inventory precluding them from acquiring new inventory.

Again, my OP was just a curious question, I'm not actively looking for any discounted reference. I do like brands that preserve brand value and I also like the comfort of knowing my inability to negotiate effectively doesn't have me overpaying.
Old 21 September 2022, 05:39 AM   #19
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

I'm not arguing, I agree with your statement 1000%.

But I will say that I am saving for a SeaQ. I would also say I would not being saving for a SeaQ if it could only be had at retail.

I didn't know it was Rolex corp policy to not discount. Is it just discouraged or is it a condition of dealer status? Obviously not an issue right now, but IF the market were to change, no AD wants excess inventory precluding them from acquiring new inventory.

Again, my OP was just a curious question, I'm not actively looking for any discounted reference. I do like brands that preserve brand value and I also like the comfort of knowing my inability to negotiate effectively doesn't have me overpaying.
Not sure about elsewhere, but in the U.S. it’s illegal for a manufacturer/distributor to mandate pricing to a retailer. However Rolex is free to do business with, or not do business with, whatever retailers it pleases, and some of this decision will undoubtedly be based on adherence to the “suggestions” given as to pricing.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 12:10 PM   #20
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I bet in the right city, you can get a Pearlmaster at a discount.
And that would be Kansas City, at least last winter. Meierotto Jewelers had an entire case of discounted never sold Rolexes. I've never seen so many Masterpieces, Pearlmasters and iced out weirdness in one place.

I highly recommend Mierotto's on general grounds. We're talking cases full of 70's and 80's DDs and DJ. 100's of preowned watches from all brands. They also carry a ton of new brands as well. Rolex and Tudor of course, Breitling, Grand Seiko, Casio (the $800 giant ones) and more. It's also built to resemble a 1930's bank.

I go any time I'm in KC.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 12:18 PM   #21
nickrb
"TRF" Member

Bought my wife a silver dial OP 36 at the CDG airport on July 3 with about a 10% discount. So it is possible. They had several other watches for sale too- a DJ 36 and a few ladies models.
nickrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 02:11 PM   #22
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrb View Post
Bought my wife a silver dial OP 36 at the CDG airport on July 3 with about a 10% discount. So it is possible. They had several other watches for sale too- a DJ 36 and a few ladies models.
Did you ask for a discount? These days, as others have pointed out, just getting it at retail feels like a discount. I don’t know if I could get the courage to ask.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 04:01 PM   #23
Guppydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrb View Post
Surprising!

I've been asking about this exact reference at a few different AD's. Anticipate a long wait is what I'm told by all of them.

I too am curious if you asked for the discount or if it was offered to you (perhaps while walking away)? Either way, well done!
Old 21 September 2022, 09:01 PM   #24
nickrb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Surprising!

I've been asking about this exact reference at a few different AD's. Anticipate a long wait is what I'm told by all of them.

I too am curious if you asked for the discount or if it was offered to you (perhaps while walking away)? Either way, well done!
We didn’t ask. We did walk away and come back. All the others that they had for sale were full retail. It’s an airport AD and we got the impression that the watch had been in the case for longer than the others. Wife loves the watch.
nickrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 09:07 PM   #25
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would say no.

Look at the current environment, too many people looking for deals only to ask about resale. They are looking for arbitrage not watches.
Old 22 September 2022, 02:18 AM   #26
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Couldn’t agree more ^^^

I also like the idea of “the price is the price,” I’m not sure how or why haggling ever became the norm in watch sales. If manufacturers can’t find buyers at their MSRP then maybe they need to lower it.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 02:23 AM   #27
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I'm curious, are there discounts available on other brands from AD, like Tudor? Omega?
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 03:04 AM   #28
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

I got 10% off a Gold DD this year. I ordered it right before the sudden demand, and AD offered me a discount. They honored it over a year later when they sold it to me.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 03:06 AM   #29
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I'm curious, are there discounts available on other brands from AD, like Tudor? Omega?
Yes, just last month I was offered about 10% off the Omega Seamaster 300 Heritage blue dial at a large AD.

They were very hush hush about it and told the guy next to me "no discounts."

He overheard and was quite miffed and left.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 04:22 AM   #30
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post

Tudor - not usually. (Well at least not when buying JUST a watch with no jewelry)

Omega - absolutely.