The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 September 2022, 10:25 AM   #31
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
So coming back to this particular dial, just for my knowledge, is this considered a service dial? Thank you.
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 10:37 AM   #32
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfreak207 View Post
So coming back to this particular dial, just for my knowledge, is this considered a service dial? Thank you.
It seems to me that many experts have already given their opinions on this question. If you don't like their answers, perhaps you should do you own research using some of the resources that have been mentioned.
Old 10 September 2022, 11:59 AM   #33
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
perhaps u have misunderstood. I do like their answers and I have no interest in this particular watch. Just trying to learn about vintage dials. But u are right, I should do more research before asking.
I have found out this is a service dial and not a dealer trying to sell an unethical dial. Thank you for the enlightenment.
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 12:44 PM   #34
pierson
"TRF" Member

Is Scott Kaplan at HQ Milton considered an expert? When asked, he specially said this was an original dial. If that isn’t correct then how could any non-expert ever even consider buying a vintage Rolex?
pierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 01:03 PM   #35
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierson View Post
Is Scott Kaplan at HQ Milton considered an expert? When asked, he specially said this was an original dial. If that isn’t correct then how could any non-expert ever even consider buying a vintage Rolex?
Maybe he is, maybe not. The thing is you don't have to be an expert to know if that's a service dial or not. About your second question, you come to places like this forum- search for info, educate yourself and double check with others and then find a decent seller.
IMO, its not just with Vintage Rolex.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 02:48 PM   #36
pierson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Maybe he is, maybe not. The thing is you don't have to be an expert to know if that's a service dial or not. About your second question, you come to places like this forum- search for info, educate yourself and double check with others and then find a decent seller.
IMO, its not just with Vintage Rolex.
Just irks me. HQ Milton has been around for ages and is even highly recommended on this forum as someone to trust. If this is a service dial, they should be held accountable. That’s not what they are claiming / selling.
Old 10 September 2022, 04:53 PM   #37
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Yes, a 1981 (end of 1665) to 1999 (end of tritium) 'service dial' is the strong likelihood.

Or a V E R Y slim chance it's a dial that in 40 years nobody has ever noticed / seen in the wild - like say the Mark 0 (and too lesser extent MK 1.5) 1675, that took many years to get spotted by collectors.....but this hypothesis is highly unlikely.

Best way to confirm either 100% is either a) someone who has had their 1665 serviced with a new dial confirming it's the same as HQ watch then it's 100% confirmed or b) someone with a full set punched papers showing they have this dial on watch bought new then we have a new Mark.

There is a third grim possibly that it's a fake dial - but countenancing that is not what I'm doing here.
Why he was so happy if he had the time
Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon - Jimmy Webb
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 09:58 PM   #38
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just irks me. HQ Milton has been around for ages and is even highly recommended on this forum as someone to trust. If this is a service dial, they should be held accountable. That’s not what they are claiming / selling.
Sellers give incorrect information all the time. Sometimes they may be honest mistakes, but since they have a financial interest, it's hard to say. You can trust many of these established sellers in many ways. They're not going to steal your money, they will generally stand behind their sales if something goes wrong, etc. If you buy a watch from them and then you convince them it wasn't described correctly, I'd guess they would take it back.

But trust is not absolute. You can't just abdicate your own responsibility to do due diligence. As you do your own research, you will also learn more about who are true experts with deep knowledge about particular references. Some are sellers, some are on the forum, some have blogs or IG accounts. Buying 5-digit vintage Rolex watches requires some effort, and it's pointless to get in a huff just because a seller doesn't know as much as some people on the forum. That's typical, and there are many, many long-established sellers that are MUCH worse than HQM in terms of inaccuracy.
Old 15 September 2022, 08:12 AM   #39
pierson
"TRF" Member

Service dial or not. Beaten up case or not. I have to say, the patina on the dial is pretty sweet.
Old 9 October 2022, 09:16 AM   #40
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Looks like this one is back on the market and the description has been updated to include that it's a service dial.

Dial issues aside, any idea what might have caused such wear to the inner lugs?
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 09:50 AM   #41
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
Dial issues aside, any idea what might have caused such wear to the inner lugs?
Too much slack on the bracelet, end links and spring bars. The first link of the bracelet rubs on the bottom part of lugs.

Very common, one of the reasons I change my bracelets as often as my car's tyres (tires)
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote