The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 October 2022, 07:19 PM   #1
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Is it still worth it? FPJ CS BL

FPJ retail prices in general have gone up significantly, and the “retail price” of the Black Label Chronometre Souverain has almost doubled compared to a couple of years ago.
I recall the CS being a great value for the price back in the day, but is the watch still worth the current retail price? Or should I be considering alternatives, such as the 6119g?
ramenjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:04 PM   #2
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
What’s the retail on a new CS, also are they normally available?
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:26 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
PP all the way for me on this choice.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:50 PM   #4
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Take a look at watch options from Lang & Heyne or Moritz Grossmann.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 10:36 PM   #5
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
IIRC the standard options are gold at ~36K and platinum at ~39K which puts them in direct competition with the PP 6119 and 5227
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 10:49 PM   #6
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post

I don’t think anything w them is available anytime r soon unless one has been in the pipeline already.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 11:24 PM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
I don’t think anything w them is available anytime r soon unless one has been in the pipeline already.
OP was also referring to a Black Label which is even more of an unicorn compared to the regular CS.

Aside question: Is a Havana or Boutique CS harder to come by?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 11:27 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Both are considered good. Just be honest with yourself, as for years i fell into the Trinity Trap and am now so very glad to have escaped so am having far more fun now enjoying what i love.

Be sure to get what you love, not what the market feels is the popular girl this year.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 11:28 PM   #9
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
OP was also referring to a Black Label which is even more of an unicorn compared to the regular CS.

Ok well even more so the point is definitely true.
Old 12 October 2022, 11:28 PM   #10
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
While both are considered good, perhaps better still to set your aim higher and get an MB&F, Armin Strom, etc.

Good point there
Old 13 October 2022, 12:23 AM   #11
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
PP all the way for me on this choice.

Thanks for the input. Any specific reason as to why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 October 2022, 12:24 AM   #12
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post

Awesome suggestions, thank you. I have been eyeing a Moritz Grossman, especially newly presented Tefnut in 36.

Old 13 October 2022, 12:27 AM   #13
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post

My understanding is that both the Havana and Nacre models are harder to come by compared to the standard CS, but please keep me honest all.

Old 13 October 2022, 12:34 AM   #14
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Both are considered good. Just be honest with yourself, as for years i fell into the Trinity Trap and am now so very glad to have escaped so am having far more fun now enjoying what i love.

Be sure to get what you love, not what the market feels is the popular girl this year.

This is great advice, thank you!
I’ve dreamt of owning a CS for a while now, but now that the price has increased to where it’s at now, I’m being somewhat hesitant…
If I may ask, what watches are fun for you at the moment?

Old 13 October 2022, 01:14 AM   #15
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I would buy a black label plat CS over a 6119 at the same price … but I think it’s just a personal choice w regards to which is more aesthetically pleasing to you. Also, the 6119 will be much much more easily attainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 01:52 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenjiro View Post
This is great advice, thank you!
I’ve dreamt of owning a CS for a while now, but now that the price has increased to where it’s at now, I’m being somewhat hesitant…
Between the two, the FPJ would be my choice as Patek continues moving downward in my eyes and don't see much there to be excited about.... imho.

Yet yes some brands have been raising pricing more than others. On 'rare' models we do have historically highs or close to it so understand the hesitation... especially as new models from various brands are released. Imho Armin Strom is an overachiever as is Czapek (again imho yet find what you love that meets your desires).

Quote:
If I may ask, what watches are fun for you at the moment?
Love having fun and so Czapek Monochrome (with various straps and bracelet), Phantasos Triclops is a wonderful value play for $600, various Rolex, PAM TRON is a Halloween season personal fave as is the orange G-Shock, M.A.D.1 Red is sooo epic, Timex Waterbury I re-regulated to +/-2 seconds/day on my Timegrapher is fun....

Oh... and L'Epee 1839 / MB&F Sherman, but he's a table clock. Our home guests when first visiting always ask about Sherman and are usually very fascinated by him. If you loved robots as a child then consider a Sherman (or Melchior, Grant...).

Basically, don't ask me as I'm a bit psychotic and all over the map... yet am having the best TIME ever.

Enjoy your time

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 02:57 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The answer is a resounding yes it’s still worth it.

Have you been allocated the CS black label? If not you can practically forget it. If you’re considering secondary prices the Patek is a far better value at roughly 30% the cost.
Old 13 October 2022, 03:02 AM   #18
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenjiro View Post
FPJ retail prices in general have gone up significantly, and the “retail price” of the Black Label Chronometre Souverain has almost doubled compared to a couple of years ago.
I recall the CS being a great value for the price back in the day, but is the watch still worth the current retail price? Or should I be considering alternatives, such as the 6119g?

I have no idea how available the PP is so I can't comment on it. If the PP looks good to you I would suggest you look at a VC Patrimony - I think that it looks better than the PP.

My vote is for the FPJ not only for looks. I assume that you have purchased at least 3 FPJ watches for you to consider a CS Black. I am also going to assume that you have already put your name down for the CS Black and are waiting to get confirmation. Based on my personal estimate - each boutique gets ~1-2 CS Black editions a year. I believe all these hurdles are worth it to get a truly rare watch that is timeless.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 05:14 AM   #19
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270g

Owner of Black Label CS here. Still worth it.

Black Label aside, which brings its own appeal, this is the movement/watch that FP gifted to his mentor - a little know watchmaker named George Daniels.

It’s special in any configuration and easily should win the 6119 vs CS argument at MSRP. At market price, I’m not sure.

Havana and MOP options pretty hard to get too. But they all are. Allocations are made by movement. Black Label allocations are limited on top of that.
ChaseATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 07:34 AM   #20
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

The FPJ CS to me is the 2nd best simple 3 hands dress watch in modern history that's still in production. So if I have to choose, at MSRP it's no brainer. Market price however, it depends how much it means to you.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:48 PM   #21
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
I have no idea how available the PP is so I can't comment on it. If the PP looks good to you I would suggest you look at a VC Patrimony - I think that it looks better than the PP.

My vote is for the FPJ not only for looks. I assume that you have purchased at least 3 FPJ watches for you to consider a CS Black. I am also going to assume that you have already put your name down for the CS Black and are waiting to get confirmation. Based on my personal estimate - each boutique gets ~1-2 CS Black editions a year. I believe all these hurdles are worth it to get a truly rare watch that is timeless.
From just the picture, the 6119 does not look impressive to me. But recently I have a chance to handle it in person, I thought that it is a very nice piece and would not mind to acquire one someday.

If it is just a "regular" CS vs a 6119, it would actually be a tough call for me. But the OP posted it as a CS BL vs 6119, it is actually no brianer if both are being offered today and I have to pick up. It will definitely be the CS BL. One note, at MSRP, the CS BL is Pt while 6119 is either R or G. In addition, the BL CS only comes in a blue moon and I am sure you can still get a 6119 a few years down the road.

But since the OP is being offered a CS BL, I would argue that he is already a seasoned FPJ collector, why the question as he should have a clear idea of what he likes already.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 06:02 PM   #22
ts3
"TRF" Member

Both large modern dress watches but the CS wins front and back for me by a mile, no matter if regular or Black Label.

I have seen 6119 at the AD multiple times and it doesn't work for me unlike most Calatravas including the basic 5096/5196. The railtrack and the hobnail look like they have been added to fill the extra space at the larger size and don't look good combined with the beautiful baton markers and hour plots in my eyes. Less would have been more. YMMV...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 11:12 PM   #23
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

The CS Black label is much more special than the 6119, and since it is allocated only to previous Journe owners, it is much harder to get.
I don't own the BL, but I have the CS in the Havana dial, and it is one of my favorite pieces.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 02:46 AM   #24
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I don’t see what makes the CS so special. It’s a nice watch sure but I’d take a Chopard LUC with 1.96 movement and hand guilloché dial + the 6119 + a boatload of cash any day of the week.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 10:39 AM   #25
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
L&H best finishing in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I don’t see what makes the CS so special. It’s a nice watch sure but I’d take a Chopard LUC with 1.96 movement and hand guilloché dial + the 6119 + a boatload of cash any day of the week.

bingo!
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote