The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 November 2022, 01:20 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Help me pick between VC 37001 and AP 15016ST

Hello everyone, I’ve traded in a watch I had no use for and received store credit sufficient to buy either of these watches, both of which appeal to me for very different reasons. They are pretty much priced the same. They’re completely different watches so while they can’t be compared directly, I’m hoping you guys could help me decide which is the better fit for me and my current collection. Ultimately I will have to make a decision next week as both watches are being held for me until then, so I’m hopeful some insight will help me decide.

In my collection currently, I have a black submariner (no date), a two tone datejust champagne stick 116233, and a JLC Reverso ultra thin rose gold.

Please don’t say “neither” or “save your money for something else.” I like both of these watches a lot and I’ve gone back and forth on them for a few weeks now. I wear a lot of formal clothes for work. though the submariner in my collection is the piece I tend to wear when I dress down, I believe either of these watches will fit right in with my lifestyle no matter what.

Vacheron 37001

Pros:

- This is just such a charming piece and really has a lot of the hallmarks of the VC brand. The movable lugs are one of a kind.
- Love the exploding numeral and the Maltese cross on the strap
- Great value to get a precious metal piece from a holy trinity brand under 10K in great condition (i.e. not the very thin 80s Jules Audemars and ultra thin/small super plain VCs from the 80s)
- Would love to finally add a vacheron to my collection as they’re my favorite brand when it comes to design but just haven’t found one at the right price yet until now. I have a great appreciation for the history of watchmaking and this VC pays homage to one of the earliest Tonneau case shapes (I believe Cartier was first, followed by VC)
- Would take some of the pressure off my Reverso as being the only dress watch in my collection but…

Cons:

-very similar to the reverso in that both are rose gold with arabic numerals. I think I can get over the similarity by putting the Reverso on a brown strap, but something to consider (could also move the Reverso down the line, but id rather not).
-A few people (all women) have remarked that the VC is feminine. I personally don’t think so, but it is a smaller, more delicate timepiece.

AP Millenary 15016ST

Pros

- super clean dial with strong lume. I like simple watches and this one epitomizes that
- Really unique case shape that is unlike anything in my collection or on the market today
- This is just a really “fun” watch to have for lack of a better term
- Steel case will be more “sturdy” than a precious metal watch
- A more versatile watch than the VC - it combines the sportiness of the dial with the dress-ness of the strap and lugs.
- Can put it on a black alligator strap for a more formal look or a brown leather strap for sportier look (both pictured). Could even put it on a navy pebble strap. So many strap options.

Cons:

- It feels like a rip off that this watch is priced pretty much the same as the VC. Although all watch prices have gone up the last 2 years, this watch was going for around $3.5K just a few years ago. It is now going for close to double that. For what its worth, I believe the VC retailed for around $15K when it was released and its a limited edition of 1912 pieces total, whereas the retail for the millenary was somewhere between $8-10K and not limited. Obviously I can’t change the market, but this is definitely something on my mind.
- If the millenary never changed prices and was still going for ~$3,500 I would just buy it outright and take the VC on the trade in, but I cant afford to buy it outright at the prices these are going for now. They’re also pretty hard to come by so Its not as easy as “just save up for this one and get the VC now.” Though other millenary watches are attainable, this is the one I really appreciate for its simplicity.
- Unlike the VC, it would feel like im “settling” for a holy trinity brand if I got this watch. Although I do really like the case shape and legibility of the dial, this is probably the cheapest modern (i.e. mid 1990s to today) AP I’ve seen other than 30mm Jules Audemars references. The millenary is a super under appreciated line for AP, which in and of itself doesn’t bother me as one should buy what they like regardless, but going for essentially the cheapest modern steel watch they have is a consideration.

What does everybody think? If you made it this far, Thanks for reading and thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 08:23 AM   #2
CNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange
Here area my thoughts:

VC 37001 is distinct. Your current watches are 'classic' - everyone knows, and generally likes, subs, DJs, and JLCs. This thing is out of left field, but not too strange to be ostentatious. The case is classic, but the lugs make it funky; the Arabic numerals are classy, but the flow makes it splashy. I disagree it's too close to the JLC - the case and flowing numerals feel different on the wrist. My main concern with the VC is that you have to consciously wear it - it makes a statement like others in your collection don't (I've at least found that nobody in the city bats an eye to 'classic' watches). You also mention your love of VC and not AP.

AP Millenary 15016ST is safe. It's definitely fun and more wearable than the VC, but I think it blends into many of the common 'tool' watches you can find today. I don't find the case shape unique, but I'm currently obsessed with Lange. Agree it's more versatile, but you can wear your sub in any situation you wear the AP. My main concern with the AP is that it isn't really representative of AP - which you call out as well. Also, steel isn't really more durable than gold - I'd use WR and movement to determine durability.

I think it comes down to whether or not you want a VC you love to wear sometimes, or an AP you like to wear anytime.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 09:06 AM   #3
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY View Post
Here area my thoughts:

VC 37001 is distinct. Your current watches are 'classic' - everyone knows, and generally likes, subs, DJs, and JLCs. This thing is out of left field, but not too strange to be ostentatious. The case is classic, but the lugs make it funky; the Arabic numerals are classy, but the flow makes it splashy. I disagree it's too close to the JLC - the case and flowing numerals feel different on the wrist. My main concern with the VC is that you have to consciously wear it - it makes a statement like others in your collection don't (I've at least found that nobody in the city bats an eye to 'classic' watches). You also mention your love of VC and not AP.

AP Millenary 15016ST is safe. It's definitely fun and more wearable than the VC, but I think it blends into many of the common 'tool' watches you can find today. I don't find the case shape unique, but I'm currently obsessed with Lange. Agree it's more versatile, but you can wear your sub in any situation you wear the AP. My main concern with the AP is that it isn't really representative of AP - which you call out as well. Also, steel isn't really more durable than gold - I'd use WR and movement to determine durability.

I think it comes down to whether or not you want a VC you love to wear sometimes, or an AP you like to wear anytime.
This is great advice, thank you. I hadn't really put much thought into the fact that the AP would compete with the sub, but you're right as they're both steel, strong lume watches with simple dials. You're also right about the VC being different from the JLC - I think I've spent a lot of time equating them since they're both rose gold with arabic numerals, but beyond that they're very different pieces representative of different eras of watchmaking and design. My JLC is currently on a black strap but I'm thinking that putting it on a brown strap and leaving the VC pictured on a black strap would further differentiate the two. Thanks again for your thoughts!
Old 6 November 2022, 09:57 AM   #4
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I vote VC all the way. It looks great, and it is both a dress watch and a fun watch. Those don't often coincide.

The AP has an odd looking dial, and I think the novelty of it being an AP will wear off. You will be on the hunt for a better looking watch soon, imo.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 10:05 AM   #5
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I vote VC all the way. It looks great, and it is both a dress watch and a fun watch. Those don't often coincide.

The AP has an odd looking dial, and I think the novelty of it being an AP will wear off. You will be on the hunt for a better looking watch soon, imo.
Now leaning this way as well. If it was still going for $3,500 as it did just 3 years ago, it would be great value for a fun AP. But a big part of my hesitance is that it’s currently priced way above what it’s worth solely because it’s AP.
Old 6 November 2022, 10:06 AM   #6
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Usually team AP but between these two hands down the VC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 11:03 AM   #7
nauti1us
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing.
I would go Vacheron; AP case doesn’t do it for me.
nauti1us is offline   Reply With Quote