The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
The Departed - Another Review

Thanks to Padi's great review the other day, I saw 'The Departed' last night, and I was impressed. So, I apologise for the length, but I felt like reviewing it.

I'll admit, I didn't bother to see Gangs of New York or even The Aviator because they simply didn't interest me. However, The Departed grabbed me fair & square by the janglies and forced me enjoy it.... and I did! This film really is Scorsese at his best; a tense, voilatile environment with an undercurrent of barely disguised danger, punctuated by violent explosions of bloody anger and malevolence. He delves into the world of the undesirables with such slippery ease that it feels like he never left the mean streats.

The characters are such a guilty pleasure to follow, especially Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson), the somewhat unhinged leader of Boston's Irish underworld. Nicholson just gets better with age, and his naturally devilish demeanour is perfect for this role, oozing both charisma and an aura of evil. His character, for me, was the most obvious hallmark of the Eastern cinema that 'The Departed' is based upon; the somewhat exaggerated yet no less dangerous or serious crime boss. Matt Damon, as the mobster-playing-cop Colin Sullivan was interesting, as his actions almost had me believing his act, even though I knew it was a ruse. DiCaprio is his cop-playing-mobster nemesis, and conveyed a wonderful sense of internal conflict without coming across as annoying or pathetic. That probably had a lot to do with a firmly placed glass of cranberry juice!
Alec Baldwin's Chief was a dry pleasure, but Martin Sheen's character felt a little silly to me. Wahlberg was solid, even though that haircut was a little too stupid. My only wish was that the wonderful Ray Winstone could have featured more, despite his slightly dubious accent.

The cinematographer, Michael Ballhaus, creates an interesting atmosphere without going over the top, which I applauded. Nicholson's early scenes demonstrate an excellent use of lighting...or lack thereof, to create the perfect character introduction. Colour is also one of Ballhaus' strengths and unlike Bram Stoker's Dracula (which he also DOP'ed), he is subtle yet still efffective in his use of strong primaries - we notice it, but it's not that obivous.

For me, the real standout was the picture & sound editing.
For the vast majority of the film, the editing was as fluid as one expects, but there were some wonderful little oddities that really made me sit up and take notice: For instance, the occasional quick cut-aways that almost seem unwarranted and unprompted, and her editing of the gunfight in the warehouse. I don't know why or how or what she did, but it was something!
Scorsese's long time favourite editor Thelma Schoonmaker is undoubtedly a master of her craft, and I always love when someone like her edits a film and leaves me saying "I don't know why they did that, but boy was it cool".
Also, the use of music throughout the film was excellent. Some films (Gladiator, for me) are just overscored, but not The Departed. I can't remember any moments where the score overwhelmed the images and distracted me, which is rare in a film. However, the moments when contemporary music featured made me sit up and take notice again. The fact that it cut so abruptly at times was like an aural bullet to the brain. The choice of songs was also excellent, I was tapping my feet and almost broke out in song when 'Shipping up to Boston' by the Dropkick Murphys blasted out.
However, there was one negative point - some of the dialoge editing was a little to choppy for my liking. I know this is difficult to do, but it shouldn't be noticeable.

So, overall, an excellent modern film, and a return to form for the jovial Mr. Scorsese (anyone know the TISM song? ). It wasn't perfect, the opera/cocaine scene left me shaking my head and felt superfluous, but that's maybe what I liked about it. Brutal, savage and rough.... much like the characters and story. It was also darkly funny, one of those 'I know I shouldn't laugh but I will anyway' films.

Overall favourite shot? Nicholson's bloodied smile.

Favourite scene? The cranberry juice incident.
Old 17 October 2006, 01:23 AM   #2
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
M.S did a GREAT job but we must not forget his help from the original versions director Mr Mak Sui Fai. I agree that some scenes due to the editing left me confused as well, but having seen the original version many many times I knew what they were referring too.

I think hollywoods love for chinese movies and remakes based on them is here to stay. Now with M.S in the picture I hope more movies like the departed will come about and remain true to the originals (at least as close as can be)
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2006, 03:27 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for a superbly written and very fair review, Denny.

The film has been delayed by a week in NZ, unfortunately. It was to be released last Thursday 12th, but might be coming out either this week or the next!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
M.S did a GREAT job but we must not forget his help from the original versions director Mr Mak Sui Fai. I agree that some scenes due to the editing left me confused as well, but having seen the original version many many times I knew what they were referring too.

I think hollywoods love for chinese movies and remakes based on them is here to stay. Now with M.S in the picture I hope more movies like the departed will come about and remain true to the originals (at least as close as can be)
It's good to see that they didn't just ignore the original, and enlisted Mak Sui Fai's help. I really want to see Infernal Affairs now too. Is it a little bit tongue in cheek, or mainly a serious film?

I wasn't confused from a story point of view, moreso from a technical point, and that's why I loved it. If an editor can retain all sense of plot, pace, timing and so on but still do something wierd, I'm in heaven. I've seen a few very good older editors work, and there's a wonderful organised chaos about it.
Old 17 October 2006, 08:11 AM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Thanks for the great review Otis. It's on our must see list
Old 17 October 2006, 01:34 PM   #6
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
It's good to see that they didn't just ignore the original, and enlisted Mak Sui Fai's help. I really want to see Infernal Affairs now too. Is it a little bit tongue in cheek, or mainly a serious film?

I wasn't confused from a story point of view, moreso from a technical point, and that's why I loved it. If an editor can retain all sense of plot, pace, timing and so on but still do something wierd, I'm in heaven. I've seen a few very good older editors work, and there's a wonderful organised chaos about it.
Infernal affairs is extremely serious, I think with the departed they added a little bit of comedy (the tired from F'ing your mother bit was toooooooooooo funny ) just for the hollywood tastes.

The chinese version is really worth watching, even if you have to read the subtitles you will get the superbly written script.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Infernal affairs is extremely serious, I think with the departed they added a little bit of comedy (the tired from F'ing your mother bit was toooooooooooo funny ) just for the hollywood tastes.

The chinese version is really worth watching, even if you have to read the subtitles you will get the superbly written script.
Thanks!
I'll see if I can get it over the weekend. They tend to do serious films rather well when they do, as sometimes I find the comedy just a little over the top. But I loved films like Bullet in the Head & The Killer, classics!