The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 July 2020, 05:27 PM   #1
kip595
"TRF" Member

1961 Perpetual Date 1500 - Service Dial/Hands?

Is it just me, or are these hands and dial almost certainly service parts?

I do know the watch was Rolex serviced in '02 - while the current owner believes it all original, to me these definitely do not quite seem spot-on for the model and s/n year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex date dial.JPG (162.2 KB, 238 views)
kip595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip595 View Post

I do know the watch was Rolex serviced in '02 - while the current owner believes it all original, to me these definitely do not quite seem spot-on for the model and s/n year.
To be honest, it is very little important if they were replaced during service. The hands are the correct ones whether they are service parts or not.

Watch looks good and all legit, makes a good daily beater. Thats what it matters.
Also, good that was serviced!

So, if the price is right, snatch it, get a nice leather strap and enjoy that puppy! I am a big fan of these OP date models.
Also, have a look between the lugs, you may have a surprise and it is a 15000. Check if its quick set or not....
Old 28 July 2020, 05:50 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If the case is 1961 (or any pre 1 million serial), those are surely replacement dial and hands.
Old 28 July 2020, 06:45 PM   #4
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Get some blue light, dark room, run it over the dial, and if it shines - service parts.

The 1500 is under priced, and under rated, wears like a 36mm. Enjoy!

Also - if it's a 4 million serial it's a service case, as above though I don't think that affects the value of the 1500s at all.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 10:40 PM   #5
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Get some blue light, dark room, run it over the dial, and if it shines - service parts.

The 1500 is under priced, and under rated, wears like a 36mm. Enjoy!

Also - if it's a 4 million serial it's a service case, as above though I don't think that affects the value of the 1500s at all.
would have to disagree, I've worn 34mm Rolex' for the past 8 years and just went to a 36mm DJ. The DJ seems massive. while I think the manual wind models wear big, the added height from the autowind rotor definitely steals a bit of the overall wrist presence compared to the precisions that sit right on the wrist.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 01:37 AM   #6
kip595
"TRF" Member

The case is correct, just polished. Won't get a chance to examine under light before purchase, but pricing seems about right & it's planned to be for rotational wear anyway, so if seller and I can come to a mutual agreement more pics will be posted in the upcoming.

Thanks guys!
Old 29 July 2020, 06:31 AM   #7
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

It is most definitely service hands and dial. The hands and dial are the style used after the late 1960s. The originals for 1961 would be dauphine shaped and the dial would have either doorstop or coffin hour markers.
For a model 1500 it doesnt really matter if the dial and hands are service replacements because parts are abundant and you could probably easily find original 1961 parts if you wanted to. If the price is right then its a very attractive piece just the way it is.

Here is what an original dial and hands from 1961 look like:
Old 29 July 2020, 09:26 AM   #8
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
would have to disagree, I've worn 34mm Rolex' for the past 8 years and just went to a 36mm DJ. The DJ seems massive. while I think the manual wind models wear big, the added height from the autowind rotor definitely steals a bit of the overall wrist presence compared to the precisions that sit right on the wrist.

The 1501 has an engine turned bezel which enhances the size as well I think.

I wear a Tudor submariner, an explorer II and a 34mm 1501 in my rotation, and each one has its own unique size and charm, but I definitely wouldn't think 34mm is too small. I think a few people would be surprised if they gave it a chance.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2020, 09:57 AM   #9
kip595
"TRF" Member

The hands! That was what kept tugging at my brain. Thanks!

*Edit: As many 60s Date and No Date models as I've been looking at I can't believe I missed that - this is why I love the RF!
Old 24 December 2021, 05:35 AM   #10
katpil
"TRF" Member

FWIW, here's a newer 1501. Circa 1972 with a sigma dial. The engine turned bezel does make it appear a bit bigger than it is.

My daily wear watch. Love the size and understated nature of it, but it's Rolex quality all the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4213.JPG (104.6 KB, 127 views)
katpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 12:31 AM   #11
eatt_river
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpil View Post
FWIW, here's a newer 1501. Circa 1972 with a sigma dial. The engine turned bezel does make it appear a bit bigger than it is.

My daily wear watch. Love the size and understated nature of it, but it's Rolex quality all the way.
Hi
Am new to TRF, Rolex world, and also new owner of 1501, 1,4M serial, engraved "1501" and "IV-65" on inner caseback. Cal 1570 with hacking second feature. I have these pics but can't post for I am new member with less than 10 posts.
My question is does IV-65 denotes a date production? And if AFFIRMATIVE isn't is consistent with 1,4M serial which means a yearly seventies watch according to watch chart.
Sorry if I post in wrong thread
eatt_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 06:34 PM   #12
eatt_river
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpil View Post

Hello
Nice piece!
I am new to Rolex world and freshly acquired a pre-owned of circa 1966’s Rolex 1501 ref# with 1570 cal. Would like to know if yours is hacking second capable please? Tks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 76148847-AF96-4471-A482-F996B9C299FA.jpeg (197.1 KB, 79 views)
eatt_river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 07:47 PM   #13
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip595 View Post

Service dial and handset look fine - though not done on 02 unless they are Tritinova (tritium marked dial with Luminova lume plots as tritium not used after 1999/2000ish) -

Good news is that on STD batton dial 32/34/36mm watches tbh it's not the big deal it is on professional pieces (sub/mil/GMT/exp/SD/Cosmo) as it doesn't affect value much at all, and looks good.
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 12:30 AM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatt_river View Post
Hello
Nice piece!
I am new to Rolex world and freshly acquired a pre-owned of circa 1966’s Rolex 1501 ref# with 1570 cal. Would like to know if yours is hacking second capable please? Tks in advance.
1972 is almost certain to be hacking.