The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 January 2023, 09:03 PM   #1
JP123
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Chopard

Hey all

I’m looking for a sporty comfortable watch and while trawling Bond Street I saw this Chopard Mille Miglia grey titanium ltd edition watch and tried it on. It’s incredibly comfortable on my wrist and looks way better to me in the metal than online. My question is that I only really know Chopard as a jewellery brand. I know this one has an in-house movement and is COSC certified. All thoughts appreciated…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A3512145-C12F-4FD1-B010-A4C47A0337CE.jpeg (168.5 KB, 997 views)
JP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 09:41 PM   #2
fmc000
Banned

Chopard movements are top notch usually but this one doesn't seem to be part of the LUC collection, the higher end of the line. The brand is excellent, the resale value not so much unfortunately and for some this is (most) important.

People tend to say "buy what you like"...
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2023, 10:12 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great watches, very bad resale. See what kind of discount you can get and then see if it is available pre-owned.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 03:55 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Saw this unbelievable 1860 while watching the latest Revolution Watch.

This watch is a partnership between Chopard and Hourglass to commemorate 25th anniversary of 1860. However, as 1860 was launched in 1996, maybe this model was released a couple of years ago. Does anyone know more about this watch? The case is while gold while dial is champagne.

Anyway Hourglass informed me all the 10 pcs were sold out.
1860.jpg

Please jump to 8.23 for the watch.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 04:44 PM   #5
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Chopard

They make a wide range of watches, some of them indisputably high horology. For example, the LUC line. Not so sure about the Mille Miglia. But go for what you like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 09:57 PM   #6
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love this brand. There have been some odd design within the years but the LUC models are stellar. Big respect with Mr Scheufele who owns it and does an incredible job.

I need a Strike One model in my life. Notice the choice of words: ‘need’.

: )))
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2023, 11:29 PM   #7
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

I own a 2-tone Alpine Eagle that I absolutely love. I think they make great watches that I have come to appreciate more. Only draw back is the resell value. If that is important to you then you should stick to the more mainstream brands. I tend to keep watches in my collection for a long time so it’s not a consideration for me.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 12:38 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Absolutely love this brand. There have been some odd design within the years but the LUC models are stellar. Big respect with Mr Scheufele who owns it and does an incredible job.

I need a Strike One model in my life. Notice the choice of words: ‘need’.
I'm convinced you have very good taste. Your last watch shown is a Petermann Bedat 1967 titanium. That's an enthusiast's watch
Old 7 March 2023, 02:40 AM   #9
djnick
"TRF" Member

The 1860s have gone crazy in price over the last few years but the 1863 aka Quattro is still slept on price wise and arguably better watch with manual wind and 8 day power reserve
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 02:58 AM   #10
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

My first L.U.C. It is very satisfying on many levels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8982D.JPG (211.9 KB, 763 views)
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 09:33 AM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
That guilloche is beautiful.
Old 7 March 2023, 09:53 AM   #12
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
They've got some watches I really like. As long as the piece makes you happy it's totally worth consideration for purchasing.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 10:43 AM   #13
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

one thing that I liked about the brand was a good service experience sending in my mom's old quartz chopard. pleasantly surprised. same went for harry Winston.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 03:33 PM   #14
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Saw this unbelievable 1860 while watching the latest Revolution Watch.

This watch is a partnership between Chopard and Hourglass to commemorate 25th anniversary of 1860. However, as 1860 was launched in 1996, maybe this model was released a couple of years ago. Does anyone know more about this watch? The case is while gold while dial is champagne.
Yeah I was surprised to hear about that Revolution/Hourglass watch when it was released because it looked so much like the 1860/2 from years earlier. Here's the platinum version of the 1860/2, which (at 36mm) fits perfectly:

And here's a a white gold "sister" version:

CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 11:04 PM   #15
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
My first LUC

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 11:06 PM   #16
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Old 7 March 2023, 11:07 PM   #17
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LYjBpXBDp6hTC2Bo7

Old 8 March 2023, 12:44 AM   #18
sss205
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub.
Anyone happen to know the availability of the green dial Alpine Eagle? I don't see many online, and the website doesn't show the watch as available to add in cart.
sss205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 02:19 AM   #19
Aferrariguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss205 View Post
Anyone happen to know the availability of the green dial Alpine Eagle? I don't see many online, and the website doesn't show the watch as available to add in cart.

The one w Arabic numerals? They are limited to 100 pcs I believe for Middle East market only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aferrariguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 06:51 AM   #20
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Chopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I'm convinced you have very good taste. Your last watch shown is a Petermann Bedat 1967 titanium. That's an enthusiast's watch

You are too kind. I read the forums a lot to learn from you all and lucky to live in Geneva where I get to try a lot of watches. I do have to say I have grown very focused recently. You have excellent insights by the way and enjoy reading your comments.

On Chopard, I think the brand as a whole is really underrated.

Thanks for highlighting that vid.

https://youtu.be/4kz_Dc8PAe0
Old 8 March 2023, 06:54 AM   #21
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wow! Congratulations. I just adore this watch to pieces. Please share with me the wearing experience. Sound. When do you use it? How does it ring on the wrist and do you get people that comment on the sound? Is it loud?

You have a beauty with just 25 in existence.
Old 8 March 2023, 08:42 AM   #22
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
Yeah I was surprised to hear about that Revolution/Hourglass watch when it was released because it looked so much like the 1860/2 from years earlier. Here's the platinum version of the 1860/2, which (at 36mm) fits perfectly:

And here's a a white gold "sister" version:

Fabulous pieces! I would love to acquire either the WG/Salmon dial or the YG or RG model with the black dial.
Old 8 March 2023, 12:11 PM   #23
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow! Congratulations. I just adore this watch to pieces. Please share with me the wearing experience. Sound. When do you use it? How does it ring on the wrist and do you get people that comment on the sound? Is it loud?

You have a beauty with just 25 in existence.
The sound is as crystal clear and pure as you have heard from the Full Strike minute repeaters. According to KFS, Chopard crafted the single strike to last longer than the minute repeater strikes, as there is only one strike to hear (I have no idea how they accomplished this). The sound is audible under a cuff but not so loud as to be noticeable over significant ambient noise. In the Revolution video, KFS remarks that the original Strike One had to be held up to the ear to be heard. That is certainly not the case with the new version. I have not heard the non-crystal gong versions of the Strike One nor the CW Bel Canto, so I have no standard for comparison.

I leave the striking train on by default, unless I am in an environment where any sound is frowned upon. It is a delightful hourly surprise that always prompts me to look at the watch, which is lovely. The Metalem dial is gorgeous; an 18K base with a galvanized Ruthenium coating and RG faceted stick indices. In any light, there is substantial action and life to the dial. The honeycomb guilloche pattern is beautifully executed and is constantly changing as light plays across the dial. The faceted indices also play well with light, but not all at the same time, so there is movement in the reflections. The dial and dial furniture is truly the embodiment of Chopard's skill as a jewelry maker.

The watch is 40 mm X 9.86 mm, with a lug to lug of 47.22 mm. It wears visually well and physically comfortably on my 7 inch wrist. That said, it wears visually larger than its physical dimensions. I attribute this to the sapphire ring around the dial, coupled with a very narrow bezel. There is no negative space on the dial, but it still looks big. There is also a significant ring around the display case back (not surprising, as the 96.1 movement which is the base for this watch was designed for a 36 mm case). If it were possible with the striking mechanism, I would prefer the watch to be 38 mm for visual purposes. That said, the original Strike One was 41 mm, so the striking mechanism may require a larger case. Of course, the 1860 XPS is also 40 mm, so the size may simply be an aesthetic choice by Chopard.

Much has been written about the 96.1 movement, so I won't speak to its many strengths. The 96-32.L movement in the Strike One is the 96.1 base with a chiming module on top. The ceramic ball bearings on the winding mechanism do make some noise, so if a silent rotor is a requirement for happiness, one will be disappointed. It is a positive sound that is neither constant nor cheap sounding, so it is not grating. The movement also makes a small clicking noise at 5 minutes past the hour when the striking train is activated. I am told that this is due to the spring for the hammer resetting.

The Strike One is both COSC Certified and carries the Geneva Seal, signifying excellence in both accuracy and finissage.

I have yet to find a perfect watch for me, and this one isn't either, but it has many charms, both visual and auditory. The combination of technical prowess, movement finissage, timing precision, stunning habillage, and a lovely audible strike is not readily available elsewhere.
Old 8 March 2023, 12:25 PM   #24
Lukla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet
I don't have a Chopard but keeping my eyes on a LUC. Chopard being family owned is a big plus and theie LUC models are right up there with high horology watch makers I believe.
Lukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:27 PM   #25
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
I love this dial very much - Metalem has done a great job as always. The guilloche on the THG/Chopard partnership has a different pattern but is beautiful too, and it's a pity it got sold out that quick.
Old 8 March 2023, 12:30 PM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You are too kind. I read the forums a lot to learn from you all and lucky to live in Geneva where I get to try a lot of watches. I do have to say I have grown very focused recently. You have excellent insights by the way and enjoy reading your comments.
Thanks!
I like many of your watches and always see your posts in those threads of watches I am interested in, including RRCC, Romain Gauthier, Petermann Bedat and now this. Maybe we have overlapping fascination with certain types of watches and to me, that's a good direction to go
Old 8 March 2023, 04:08 PM   #27
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The sound is as crystal clear and pure as you have heard from the Full Strike minute repeaters. According to KFS, Chopard crafted the single strike to last longer than the minute repeater strikes, as there is only one strike to hear (I have no idea how they accomplished this). The sound is audible under a cuff but not so loud as to be noticeable over significant ambient noise. In the Revolution video, KFS remarks that the original Strike One had to be held up to the ear to be heard. That is certainly not the case with the new version. I have not heard the non-crystal gong versions of the Strike One nor the CW Bel Canto, so I have no standard for comparison.

I leave the striking train on by default, unless I am in an environment where any sound is frowned upon. It is a delightful hourly surprise that always prompts me to look at the watch, which is lovely. The Metalem dial is gorgeous; an 18K base with a galvanized Ruthenium coating and RG faceted stick indices. In any light, there is substantial action and life to the dial. The honeycomb guilloche pattern is beautifully executed and is constantly changing as light plays across the dial. The faceted indices also play well with light, but not all at the same time, so there is movement in the reflections. The dial and dial furniture is truly the embodiment of Chopard's skill as a jewelry maker.

The watch is 40 mm X 9.86 mm, with a lug to lug of 47.22 mm. It wears visually well and physically comfortably on my 7 inch wrist. That said, it wears visually larger than its physical dimensions. I attribute this to the sapphire ring around the dial, coupled with a very narrow bezel. There is no negative space on the dial, but it still looks big. There is also a significant ring around the display case back (not surprising, as the 96.1 movement which is the base for this watch was designed for a 36 mm case). If it were possible with the striking mechanism, I would prefer the watch to be 38 mm for visual purposes. That said, the original Strike One was 41 mm, so the striking mechanism may require a larger case. Of course, the 1860 XPS is also 40 mm, so the size may simply be an aesthetic choice by Chopard.

Much has been written about the 96.1 movement, so I won't speak to its many strengths. The 96-32.L movement in the Strike One is the 96.1 base with a chiming module on top. The ceramic ball bearings on the winding mechanism do make some noise, so if a silent rotor is a requirement for happiness, one will be disappointed. It is a positive sound that is neither constant nor cheap sounding, so it is not grating. The movement also makes a small clicking noise at 5 minutes past the hour when the striking train is activated. I am told that this is due to the spring for the hammer resetting.

The Strike One is both COSC Certified and carries the Geneva Seal, signifying excellence in both accuracy and finissage.

I have yet to find a perfect watch for me, and this one isn't either, but it has many charms, both visual and auditory. The combination of technical prowess, movement finissage, timing precision, stunning habillage, and a lovely audible strike is not readily available elsewhere.
Thanks for sharing this in-depth report. I hope to hear one in person someday.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 06:56 PM   #28
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
There are always two sides to the depreciation argument, I look at the positives.

1. You can get a lot of watch for the money if buying second hand. I was on a TRF trusted sellers site last night and saw some amazing Mille Miglia's for less than 4K. That's ridiculous bang for your buck and gives you a watch that attracts more conversation than a ubiquitous Tudor or Omega.

2. Most Chopard owners have multiple watch collections increasing the chance of a used model being truly like new and seldomly worn.

As an aside, I actually went to Watches of Switzerland in Vegas yesterday specifically to look at and try on the Alpine Eagle. Out of stock. Every Color. I'm still looking forward to seeing one up close.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 09:41 PM   #29
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
Beautiful!!
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 11:36 PM   #30
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Lol sorry for the above posts, clearly still learning.

This is my first LUC and I love it

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk