The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2023, 04:17 AM   #1
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

When?

When did Rolex change their business model? I remember up to at least to 2010 you could still walk in and buy any piece pretty much or get any piece pretty much on a walk in basis. Just curious....
MikeHendrick1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:21 AM   #2
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Late 2017, early 2018 when it began, covid made it go absolutely nuts though.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:22 AM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Curious as to what you believe their business model is? IMHO they are producing all the product they can. The only change that can have an effect on supply and demand is for them to increase supply or demand decrease. I understand they have a new plant underway but that is five years out. That might be the time frame you are looking for. Curious as to what you think Rolex is doing to constrain supply?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:50 AM   #4
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Curious as to what you believe their business model is? IMHO they are producing all the product they can. The only change that can have an effect on supply and demand is for them to increase supply or demand decrease. I understand they have a new plant underway but that is five years out. That might be the time frame you are looking for. Curious as to what you think Rolex is doing to constrain supply?
Agree.
I just can’t understand these types of comments made by OP.
Old 13 April 2023, 05:03 AM   #5
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Rolex did not change. Others figured out there is much $$$$ to be made by pinching supply using lots of insta hype and hacking people's psychological weaknesses to create extra demand. Rolex just benefits from what has been created. Chalk it up to yet another thing that tech has "improved"
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 05:12 AM   #6
waterking
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHendrick1978 View Post
When did Rolex change their business model? I remember up to at least to 2010 you could still walk in and buy any piece pretty much or get any piece pretty much on a walk in basis. Just curious....
Might want to Google "events of the last 12 years". I suspect this may clear up your questions.
waterking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:01 AM   #7
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I assumed that it was Rolex who changed the business model for having the AD's not keeping stock anymore or just having stock in the back for preferred customers. I was just used to being able to look at pieces a few years back and go in and buy the piece I was interested in. Of course there were exceptions to it but for the most part I still remember from 2003-2010ish I remember you could go in get a sub or an explorer or Oyster Perpetual or Datejust with relative ease.
Old 13 April 2023, 06:06 AM   #8
VerticalClutch
Banned

Take a look at the flex culture that happened on social media. Clowns on Instagram posts pictures of their expensive things, so then lemmings go out and copy. The demand for Rolex has simply exploded. Rolex hasn't changed.

Heck, it wasn't that long ago no one knew what an AP Royal Oak was except true watch fans. Now the guy in Echo 3 on Apple TV is wearing one and they're all over social media.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:15 AM   #9
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Really no particular issues until Covid struck. Just after February 2020, it all imploded. Nothing remotely normal since. ARRRRRRRGH
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:19 AM   #10
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mike, you've been in this group for several years now and initiated dozens of posts, and responded to over a hundred. This supply and demand issue is nothing new to you. What's the intent of your post, please?

If you are just venting, just say that.

WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:52 AM   #11
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalClutch View Post
Take a look at the flex culture that happened on social media. Clowns on Instagram posts pictures of their expensive things, so then lemmings go out and copy. The demand for Rolex has simply exploded. Rolex hasn't changed.

Heck, it wasn't that long ago no one knew what an AP Royal Oak was except true watch fans. Now the guy in Echo 3 on Apple TV is wearing one and they're all over social media.

I love it. There are hundreds if not thousands of people on this board saying they want these watches.
But somehow the demand problem is all caused by “instagram flex culture.”
Also, if people here want the watch, they are enthusiasts. If they are on another platform, they’re “lemmings.”

Literal LOL
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:56 AM   #12
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
1M Supply
100M Demand
Simple

More people with more money in this generation than ever before wanting luxury goods with free printed money by governments during covid. Everyone couldn’t go on holiday, buy a car, had mortgage holidays so decided let’s go buy watches instead.

Demand went up and so did price.
RoRoRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:01 AM   #13
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I assumed that it was Rolex who changed the business model for having the AD's not keeping stock anymore or just having stock in the back for preferred customers.
How exactly does Rolex benefit from its ADs selling other brands and loads of jewelry to those preferred customers?
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:02 AM   #14
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Demand increased, supply stayed the same. It's as simple as that. I wish that supply would increase as well, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:29 AM   #15
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I love it. There are hundreds if not thousands of people on this board saying they want these watches.
Also, if people here want the watch, they are enthusiasts. If they are on another platform, they’re “lemmings.”

Literal LOL
You just hit the nail on the head. Instagram, social media created a culture that has never existed for Rolex watches. Now due to the above mentioned, This group wants them for flexing and keeping up with the Jone's . Rolex hasn't changed, The type of buyers have changed. Created the want for the purpose of flexing and fast cash. This is where the " Demand" has come from. The AD'S are just cashing in on the greed and the must have a particular watch crowd. Subs, GMT's and Daytona. Now every new kid on the block has one of these on there list. Wasting money on things they don't need just to have the opportunity to buy one. This is how the world is.... For now.

Just look at any post, most replies are about resale value or on the list for a Sub, GMT etc. What happened to just buying a watch and enjoying it?
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 07:44 AM   #16
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterking View Post
Might want to Google "events of the last 12 years". I suspect this may clear up your questions.

My thoughts exactly...
Old 13 April 2023, 07:58 AM   #17
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

All because of hype. People did not wake up one day and want a Rolex. Demand increased because people could flip for profit and the watches disappeared from shelves. When shelves are full, less people want. When shelves are empty, people want what they can't have.

Hype increased demand and ADs perpetuated this by starting to hide watches in the back. They say it is to stop flippers, which is probably partially true, but it also serves to make it look like these watches are really hard to get which further increases demand.

So yes, ADs 100% changed and are 100% perpetuating the hype. I mean hey, it's good for sales so why not. I can't blame them.

Is it supply and demand, yes. However, there are also some puppet masters artificially controlling the supply to help perpetuate demand.

No way I would ever have the data to prove this but if ADs just put the watches on the shelves and let anyone buy them, I bet we would have way way more watches going secondary than actually people wanting them to wear.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 08:53 AM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome back from your coma.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:20 AM   #19
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

I know the supply/demand is nothing new i was just wondering when it started that's all....I am not venting in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
Mike, you've been in this group for several years now and initiated dozens of posts, and responded to over a hundred. This supply and demand issue is nothing new to you. What's the intent of your post, please?

If you are just venting, just say that.

Old 13 April 2023, 09:57 AM   #20
VerticalClutch
Banned

Quote:

Literal LOL
I’m confused as to how you don’t see social media driving demand in ways it never used to be. Companies literally give products to “influencers” because they know it drives demand. They literally have videos out there just talking about how much each item in their outfit costs…flex culture. Then people want what they have…influencers. Then they go buy it…supply issues.

The reach of influencers is far beyond what TV and magazine adds could ever have accomplished. From my experience, the supply issues started when posting watches on social media became big.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 01:46 PM   #21
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I think their business model has always been to construct, high-end watches and sell them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 04:35 PM   #22
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

IMHO Rolex not ramping up production to meet demand in itself is a strategy contrary to the usual methods of the watch industry. I understand part of this is because they don't want to get caught producing too many watches if the economy tanks...but I think once Rolex saw the effect production restraints had on FOMO elevating the brand to arguably the strongest luxury brand name in the world, it reinforced this position.

Also it's no secret that Rolex has been closing AD doors during this era. Closing a lot of AD doors. That's controlling and consolidating distribution. Also contrary to the usual practices.

The way it usually goes is if a luxury watch brand gained popularity (Panerai here's looking at you) it's time to capitalize! Raise prices bigly! More production. More Distribution. More References. More "limited" editions. MORE MORE MORE.

Well, that's not what the luxury market wants and that's easy to tell by which brands currently dominate the market...the brands that control their distribution and production.

I remember a letter that Rolex sent out to their AD network back in 2017/2018 (no I don't have a copy of it), but I was shown it. It essentially stated that demand for Rolex was increasing and don't expect any more to be produced to meet this demand, so reserving the key references for their key clients would be in the AD best interests.

I understand this is a very, very controversial stance to take...and many here will argue that Rolex wouldn't DARE do anything of the sort, but there are precedents of other high end watch and luxury brands (Patek, AP, Hermes..etc) controlling distribution and production of certain products in their range...so I'm not sure why Rolex wouldn't be capable of capitalizing on such dastardly strategies?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:01 PM   #23
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Literal LOL
I did laugh at his clown and lemmings comment, I must admit .
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:13 PM   #24
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I started to see the shift when Rolex introduced the Daytona-C in SS in 2016. It went forward and then we hit covid and off to the races. Many factors play into it but it is not just Rolex it is PP/AP and to a lesser extent VC. Like everything else it will change as we go forward. For the better or the worse, depends on how you want to look at it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:21 PM   #25
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Literal LOL

The second they are in cases nobody will be buying. $16,000 for Daytona? No way man.
Old 13 April 2023, 09:22 PM   #26
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterking View Post

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 09:24 PM   #27
clubrcr
Banned

I have bought several Rolexes over the years. In the past, ADs would not give discounts on their most popular watches and the grey market would have watches but had paperwork from non-USA Rolex dealers. You could get most any watch, and you didn't pay a premium, most of the resellers were selling lower than MSRP. Now, there are many US grey market dealers that are able to get BNIB watches (while we are waiting in line) and sell them at a massive premiums. It is easy money for these dealers if you can get the inventory. People had more money through COVID, check out M2 money supply. So where is the demand? I believe it is from this business model. If you want it now, you'll pay a premium. We live in a society where waiting is a hassle and if we want it, even with a premium, we buy it. Add that to ROLEX creating boutiques that give you the perception that you are lucky to get a watch in 2 years?? This business model worked for years for Harley Davidson and Ferrari. It is working for ROLEX, but even better for the resellers.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote