The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2023, 10:48 PM   #31
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Excellent collection. I think “awareness” sums up the AP experience perfectly. I went through much the same experience with AP.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 10:53 PM   #32
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Thanks! It's a 114270. Not sure which year it is. I actually bought the watch off a friend's wrist who owns a shop. I asked to try it on and knew I had to have it.
That sounds like a pretty classic story.
Old 12 April 2023, 10:58 PM   #33
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great collection! I’ve had my stints (obsession) with AP and PAM amongst others but always return to Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 11:23 PM   #34
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Perceived ruggedness maybe? A dinged up Rolex, I can live with. My first Rolex was a Hulk in my 20s, and I abused the thing on nights going out to the bar, accidentally dragging it against a brick wall or falling down face first. The damage incurred was some scratches on the bezel teeth and a cracked pip. But the watch still looked class.

A scratched Royal Oak bezel from taking out the trash, well, that felt annoying. Beyond that the flashiness of the satin/polish, the individual average cost of the watches, just really occupied my head space. Just seemed like I was always aware I was wearing an AP, always catching my eye even when I didn't want to think about it. That wearing experience was not fun for me, if not exhausting. Perhaps the mundanity of a Rolex allows me to engage when I want to and be pleasantly surprised at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
I can totally relate to this. I had a short stint with a ROO Diver (probably the most robust of the ROs, haha) and I felt the same way. I was always super conscious that I was wearing it, treated it waaay different than my Subs. I felt it was way more delicate and treated it as such.

Now, I daily a gold Sub and I don't even think about it. Never crosses my mind to make sure my watch is protected or out of harms way.
Interesting feedback, thanks gents. Now I have a good reason not to go down the AP route!
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 01:07 AM   #35
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Perceived ruggedness maybe? A dinged up Rolex, I can live with. My first Rolex was a Hulk in my 20s, and I abused the thing on nights going out to the bar, accidentally dragging it against a brick wall or falling down face first. The damage incurred was some scratches on the bezel teeth and a cracked pip. But the watch still looked class.

A scratched Royal Oak bezel from taking out the trash, well, that felt annoying. Beyond that the flashiness of the satin/polish, the individual average cost of the watches, just really occupied my head space. Just seemed like I was always aware I was wearing an AP, always catching my eye even when I didn't want to think about it. That wearing experience was not fun for me, if not exhausting. Perhaps the mundanity of a Rolex allows me to engage when I want to and be pleasantly surprised at the same time.
Oh man, I totally feel you on the watch damage from garbage duty!

Since the final upclassing was the Code PQ, what was your experience once you reached that zenith? Pure beauty or felt 'meh' after a while?

I have had your experience as well, after long bouts of wearing AP, I put on something like a sub no date or GMT and this weird weight just comes off my psyche.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:31 AM   #36
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Since the final upclassing was the Code PQ, what was your experience once you reached that zenith? Pure beauty or felt 'meh' after a while?
For the QP it became meh after a few weeks. You get 90% of the feeling of a Code uniqueness with the basic models. I had the chrono for quite awhile and had been adjusted to the case finishing, crystal, lugs, etc. So it felt like a dramatic increase for a movement that didn't fit the case (the crown is beneath the centerline of the mid case). You could feel the rotor spin, which you can't feel on the more modern in-house AP movements. I just didn't understand why this watch cost nearly 100k USD MSRP.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:33 AM   #37
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Nice collection, very nice.

Who's your AD? RK?
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:36 AM   #38
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanose82 View Post
Nice collection, very nice.

Who's your AD? RK?
Kormans and Ben Bridge if you're in ATX.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 01:44 AM   #39
SSMOKE
"TRF" Member

Nice!!
SSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 03:39 AM   #40
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For the QP it became meh after a few weeks. You get 90% of the feeling of a Code uniqueness with the basic models. I had the chrono for quite awhile and had been adjusted to the case finishing, crystal, lugs, etc. So it felt like a dramatic increase for a movement that didn't fit the case (the crown is beneath the centerline of the mid case). You could feel the rotor spin, which you can't feel on the more modern in-house AP movements. I just didn't understand why this watch cost nearly 100k USD MSRP.
Thanks for this perspective!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 05:26 AM   #41
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Amen brother. Exactly what keeps bringing me back to wearing a Rolex. I’m 11 years into this, so probably at a similar point of the story arch as you are.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2023, 05:51 AM   #42
cloudken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Interesting feedback, thanks gents. Now I have a good reason not to go down the AP route!
Agree it is helpful feedback as we are all told AP is on a different level than Rolex but if youre doing home stuff most of the time is it really worth it to explore that route? I've been on an AP list for 3 years and think its just better to get that one RO and be done with it.
cloudken is offline   Reply With Quote