The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2023, 08:04 PM   #91
RogerOP
Banned

Go grey, wait or go elsewhere.

For me I’m waiting until my birthday weekend and for my staycation I’ll have my 126610 on my wrist, one way or another.

But after that, I’m done with Rolex until things get back to normal. If they don’t then JLC Reverso in about 2-3 years and that’s it.

We’re wasting time waiting, just to buy something that tells us the time. Not worth the disappointment and energy b
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 08:06 PM   #92
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Since this topic has been beaten to death, I'll change the subject. Congratulation on obtaining a PhD. What field of study?
Thank you. Civil Engineering. Specifically, Computational Mechanics if anyone knows. Like the one OP said. It’s definitely not English.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 08:52 PM   #93
Jim_GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I think it sounds like the SA just didn't phrase it right. You can get a DJ ordered and it will arrive relatively soon but you will be in for a long wait on a BLNR.

If you went in asking about both, why not go for the DJ now and when it arrives, get a BLNR on order?
Old 24 April 2023, 08:57 PM   #94
Jim_GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Also, grey prices are seriously dropping. Here in the UK just saw an older BLNR go for about £2k over the current list price.

https://www.watchcollecting.com/for-...er-ii-batman-2
Old 24 April 2023, 09:22 PM   #95
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
...But instant gratification, chest thumping and measurement contests have replaced common sense....
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 09:29 PM   #96
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_GMT View Post
I think it sounds like the SA just didn't phrase it right. You can get a DJ ordered and it will arrive relatively soon but you will be in for a long wait on a BLNR.

If you went in asking about both, why not go for the DJ now and when it arrives, get a BLNR on order?
Because PHD’s don’t get paid very much?
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 09:37 PM   #97
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_GMT View Post
Also, grey prices are seriously dropping. Here in the UK just saw an older BLNR go for about £2k over the current list price.

https://www.watchcollecting.com/for-...er-ii-batman-2
that's an 8 year old watch in a fairly used condition. market is down but this isn't exactly relevant to the prices of newer models which still have big premiums
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 10:03 PM   #98
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
The struggle is real. Not sure what a "ND Sub" is..
Your last sentence rings true and sound advice.
Happy hunting!

Yes you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 10:47 PM   #99
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm765 View Post
Because PHD’s don’t get paid very much?
You are correct. I got pretty lucky on some investments sheltered in a TFSA.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 12:46 AM   #100
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Demand outstrips supply, therefore ADs can’t make everyone’s favorite watch available. You sound entitled to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, just go grey and get it over with.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 01:21 AM   #101
VerticalClutch
Banned

I really wouldn’t take it personally. If there are 10 great customers for that AD who are waiting, how can they possibly justify giving you a Batman and not one of those 10? What if the AD will take years to clear the 10 customer ahead of you? The S.A. was just trying to be honest. You can’t be upset at Rolex or an AD for the current demand for Rolex watches. It sucks, it really does, but it’s the reality, it’s not personal.

I’m in hopes the new facilities Rolex is brining on line over the next few years will help with the supply side.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 01:38 AM   #102
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
From the ADs' standpoint, why should they allocate you a SS GMT when they have others who do continually spend a lot on other high dollar stuff at their stores, who also want them. A lot of this is just a common- sense approach by the ADs to a limited supply situation which they did not create. It is frustrating to buyers, especially where Rolex advertises incessantly, two billboards per AD, yet the company has no products the casual buyer can purchase.
common sense...some here forget...you are the customer, walking in a store to purchase a product YOU want...not what the sales person telling you what to buy!!!!!!....remember...you are the customer doing them a favor...not the other way around....

unless you dont know how to dress or what to wear, how to talk...how to think, walk, wear your hair.......then maybe you do need help! common sense...a lot of people dont have!!
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 02:25 AM   #103
febie111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
common sense...some here forget...you are the customer, walking in a store to purchase a product YOU want...not what the sales person telling you what to buy!!!!!!....remember...you are the customer doing them a favor...not the other way around....

unless you dont know how to dress or what to wear, how to talk...how to think, walk, wear your hair.......then maybe you do need help! common sense...a lot of people dont have!!

Agree and yes, common sense is a rare thing these days.
febie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 02:32 AM   #104
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Except it’s not that way it is if you’re trying to buy something for which there are 20 buyers for every one item.

Which is the problem with all these threads. People refusing to accept the reality as it is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 02:34 AM   #105
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

actually they are doing you a favor because if they let you buy a BLNR you can instantly flip it for thousands more. they're essentially giving you free money in todays watch environment, so your argument only makes sense for specific watches

ironically you would think this part is common sense but it's easier to just say everyone's dumb right
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 02:58 AM   #106
Partners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
actually they are doing you a favor because if they let you buy a BLNR you can instantly flip it for thousands more. they're essentially giving you free money in todays watch environment, so your argument only makes sense for specific watches

ironically you would think this part is common sense but it's easier to just say everyone's dumb right
This
Partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 03:03 AM   #107
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

Lol.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 03:23 AM   #108
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I know this has been a subject of thousands of discussions and tens of thousands of posts, so nothing said here, or by me, will move the needle in the argument in any appreciable way.

Watch enthusiast's opinions about Rolex seem to be based on a certain market perception of what the brand represents.

By that I mean, on the one hand, people who have been buying watches for awhile remember a time when a Rolex was a high quality watch that was not necessarily a luxury watch, but a purposeful, tool watch.

President Day-Dates not withstanding, which was a pure status watch in many eyes, Subs, GMTs, Explorers, even Air Kings and Milgauss' were tool watches for the discerning. As such, they were available for these people to buy.

On the flip side, more recent collectors know Rolex to be the current status symbol watch. They never really looked at it as a tool watch. Everyone knows Rolex. Everyone knows what Rolex "means". If you are a baller, you know Rolex. If you are Joe Schmo, you know Rolex. If you are a housewife, you know Rolex. Rolex is synonymous with status. The best known watch in the world.

If you are a nostalgic watch collector, the current unavailability of the Rolex is jarring. There is a dissonance there. It's no longer the high quality tool watch that's available. It's the "luxury" unobtainable watch reserved (sometimes literally) for the rich and well-to-do. The watch you have to be in the know to get.

For the more recent watch collector, it's the must have watch. Some will go to great lengths to get one. Some will overpay in the secondary market to get one. My opinion is that the enthusiastic buyer is the one that is driving secondary market prices up and demand very high.

I'm not blaming ADs for what they are doing. It's the market and that's how it works. I'm not blaming Rolex. They are not obligated in any way to give you the watch you want. They are making money hand-over-fist and there is no sign of this abating any time soon. They were making money when the demand was low and they are making tons of money now. So what are they doing wrong?

It just means that buyers that are neither nostalgic keepers of the past, or frenzied status buyers of the present, will go elsewhere to get their watch. This is how new markets are formed, new competitors grow, and new watch makers can make a difference.

I don't believe in revenge fantasies of ADs crawling on their knees for buyers, or Rolex regretting their production decisions. Both will do just fine. Nothing to see here.

Hopefully, what this means, is that the JLCs, IWCs, Omegas etc will grow and become bigger names and gain bigger market shares.

Yes, go celebrate with another watch. Something that is unique, of better quality, more sophistication, and better value. And most importantly, available without feeling denigrated. More power to you.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote