The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2023, 06:14 PM   #1
watchmerolexing
"TRF" Member

First Rolex watch

Based in SG, looking for 1st Rolex watch.

What do y'all think of DJ 41mm Fluted, Jubilee REF: 126334

thinking of getting a DJ for daily use, subsequently a sub with date to switch around and a GMT root beer half tone/Batgirl jubilee for special occasion/weekend watch.

Would you go for DJ or sub for daily use?

Would you go for a GMT Batgirl jubilee or GMT root beer?

Looking to collect these watches for collection and also treat it as an investment (for rainy days) hope there will never be a need to sell it due to unforeseen circumstances.

open to all opinions
watchmerolexing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 07:13 PM   #2
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I would start slowly and just buy one watch that you think you’d like to wear daily. That will inform what you like and don’t like and allow you to make a better second purchase.

I’d advise against treating these watches as “investments”. Better to enjoy and then realize it will hold ~75% of its value if you decide to sell. Very poor performance if you consider the opportunity cost vs. other uses of those funds.

Have fun! Watches are the best.
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 07:21 PM   #3
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Welcome. Buy watches to wear and enjoy, invest elsewhere.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 07:27 PM   #4
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Welcome. It depends on your style and taste. Definitely a Sub for me. Start with your one and only and see where it takes you.
Don't buy a watch for investment purposes. It ruins the fun and enjoyment of the hobby. Enjoy the ride!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 07:42 PM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Your money, your watches. Buy whatever you like and enjoy the hell out of it. The future value will be whatever it will be.

If you're aiming for a multi watch collection as opposed to buying them in a specific order, just go for the easiest to get first and take it from there.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 07:44 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

I’d echo what others have said, but what you like and wear it in good health
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 08:23 PM   #7
grimps
"TRF" Member

I've just posted on another thread about the Blusey Submariner being a great watch for a first time Rolex buyer.
It looks great in any setting formal or on a beach.
It's not too hard to purchase from an AD and if you decide to go grey then It wont cost you too much over retail.
Plus you'll always get most of you're money back if you decide to sell.

Saying that it all comes down to your tastes and price range etc
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 08:42 PM   #8
Midlifegoals
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 126334 Silver
I bought a 126344 as my first Rolex about three months ago. I was celebrating a number of milestones, walked into an AD for the first time and walked out with the watch. May not be a typical story, but it seems to be much more possible with a DJ41 than other models.

It has been an absolute joy! You’ll think the fluted bezel is just a little “too flashy” at first- but after some wear, you’ll just want it on all the time. I got a silver dial. Deep down, I think I would’ve liked blue, but the silver is just so classic and blends with everything that I have no regrets. I’ve worn it nearly every day since.

I understand the desire to put together timeline of the Rolexes you want. I want a Sub and a blue OP41 next. That said, you might find joy in trying other brands after your Rolex. They’ll all pale in comparison, but I love wearing my new Doxa Sub 200 about once a week to enjoy the bezel for timing random things…

My suggestion is to go into an AD, explain why you’re going down the path of Rolex ownership, and tell them the two or three watches you’d be overcome with joy to own. If a DJ41 is one of them, and that’s your initial draw- you’re likely to fall in love
Midlifegoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 08:47 PM   #9
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
The DJ is more versatile. Depending on the configuration you could lean towards the sporting side with a smooth bezel and a Oyster bracelet. Or sport/ dress with a smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet. And then you have the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet for a more elegant/ formal appearance. Of course a choice between stainless and two tone.

The DJ is very versatile and very comfortable as a daily. Especially with a jubilee bracelet. It all depends on your personal taste. I would choose a DJ and a configuration that suits you the best.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 08:59 PM   #10
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Sure, why not start with the DJ if you love it? Could totally be a daily. If you find the fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet too loud, you can pick the most versatile smooth bezel + oyster bracelet config.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 09:16 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Personal preference as to a DJ or Submariner. I would go Submariner first and DJ second but you could easily flip that. The DJ offers more options on dial colors. Can't go wrong.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 09:24 PM   #12
Jm95809
Banned

I go with the sub
Jm95809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 09:26 PM   #13
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Whatever you can get.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 09:28 PM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The DJ is the go anywhere do anything watch. It’s perfect in casual attire and looks great with a suit.
For the GMT I think the CHNR is the prettiest of them all but since you want to sell go for a BLRO. I think the BLNR is too much of a hype.

Watches don’t make you rich
Old 26 April 2023, 09:45 PM   #15
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I agree with someone else above just buy the one first you’re going to wear every day. I did this for about ten years and it got sent in for a service, then the chaos began.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 10:07 PM   #16
RolexDave68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Welcome. It depends on your style and taste. Definitely a Sub for me. Start with your one and only and see where it takes you.
Don't buy a watch for investment purposes. It ruins the fun and enjoyment of the hobby. Enjoy the ride!

+ 1
RolexDave68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 10:59 PM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You and so many else want the same exact thing who are just entering the fray (also known as watch collecting). As said, take it real slow and really enjoy your first one and go from there. It may be "less will be more" for you.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 11:22 PM   #18
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Forget about investment criteria. You won't get rich or go broke by owning a Rolex. Buy a Rolex because you like it. And wear the living hell out of it. That's what it's for.

I have the Explorer 1 Mark II (39mm) which I highly recommend as a great all-around watch. So from the current lineup I'd say check out the 40mm version of that.

Ultimately, get what impresses you, not those around you.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 11:39 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If I weren't using watches for anything other than wearing and I needed a single Rolex, I'd likely go with the DJ41 or 36. Happy hunting!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 11:43 PM   #20
LivingTheAnchorLife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Heuer Solunagraph
Watches should be treated as a collection and an asset, but never an investment. Best of luck and welcome to the world of collecting!
LivingTheAnchorLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:02 AM   #21
sj24k
"TRF" Member

I’d get a SS sub or a BLRO first and take it from there. I prefer their iconic looks and versatility. And I’m just not a fan of any of your other options.

But that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 01:29 AM   #22
zjd168
"TRF" Member

sub date
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 01:40 AM   #23
ffjfjfjjd
"TRF" Member

I’d argue that if you need to factor in a residual sales value, you can’t really afford it. A Rolex shouldn’t be bought at the expense of your rainy day fund.

If you have stable personal finances you should also have enough of a buffer to cover unexpected costs on rainy days, without needing to sell personal belongings.
And if shit really hits the fan and you need to sell everything you got to pay for unexpected expenses, then your main worry is probably not whether you get 40 or 65 percent of what you originally paid back - it’s most likely a desperate scramble for all the liquidity you can get.

And even at that point, making adjustments to mortgages (paying only interest for a period), getting private loans or whatever might be a better solution.
ffjfjfjjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 09:02 AM   #24
Mos_kev
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718•16520•1655
Welcome!!! I say go with your gut, go with your first love... which one of those watches were you in love with first and go with that as your first... cant go wrong with any of them TBH
TT Sky Dweller 326933-0004
Mos_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 09:07 AM   #25
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Welcome. If you're able to find the Submariner at retail, it's an outstanding all around watch. If not, then a Datejust will serve you well.

I would purchase and wear one piece before you begin thinking of a second and third
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 11:09 AM   #26
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Welcome to the forum! If you're thinking sporty you can't beat the iconic Submariner otherwise a Datejust of your liking is a great choice. I don't think you should view this as an investment rather as a fun hobby. Take your time & enjoy. Investments are best done elsewhere. I will say however that you can't beat the value retention of a Rolex. Good Luck!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote