The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2023, 03:55 AM   #1
MAT4150
"TRF" Member

SBGM241 vs SBGJ251

Wondering what people's thoughts are on the SBGM241 or SBGJ251. I currently have an SBGM221 but have been looking to add something green to my collection so considering trading it in for one of these two. I generally see SBGM241's going for a decent discount compared to the SBGJ251 (about $1,000) less but wondering if people have a preference as to how loud the green wears on either. Thanks!
MAT4150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 04:52 PM   #2
taura
"TRF" Member

I just got my SBGJ251. I don't think you could call the watch loud by any stretch. Indoors the dial is very dark and often barely registers as green. In sunlight the green becomes clearly visible, but it has a texture resembling grass with very little shine to it. All in all, it is an understated watch and unlikely to attract any attention. However, the details are there to admire, from the dial texture to the brushed rose gold GMT hand that gives off a distinct glow in the right light. I also find it a very stylish watch that complements any attire from a business suit to shorts without stealing the show. Someone else might find it boring.

I haven't seen the 241 in person, but the dial seems to have a slight sunburst effect which implicates more shine and dynamism compared to the 251. In addition the GMT numerals are printed in gold or yellow, which increases contrast on the dial. I personally prefer the look of the 251 and the included bracelet, but all in all they seem very similar.
taura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2023, 12:07 AM   #3
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT4150 View Post
Wondering what people's thoughts are on the SBGM241 or SBGJ251. I currently have an SBGM221 but have been looking to add something green to my collection so considering trading it in for one of these two. I generally see SBGM241's going for a decent discount compared to the SBGJ251 (about $1,000) less but wondering if people have a preference as to how loud the green wears on either. Thanks!
I can't comment as to the dials, but I believe the 251 is a hi beat unlike the 241, which probably explains the price delta.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote