The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 July 2023, 05:48 AM   #1
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Buy a Tudor to get a Sub faster

I’m waiting on a Sub Date since March of this year and wondering if getting a Tudor BB58 would expedite the sub allocation.

Some background - I reached out to an AD I bought a $13K engagement ring from in 2019 and the experience was excellent.

As I keep checking out the Sub Date at different ADs when I travel for work, I’ve really grown to like the BB58 and when I wore my coworkers if cemented my interest.

I could buy one used but I’m wondering if purchasing directly from the AD would accelerate the Sub or is just a drop in the bucket for these guys?

Secondary concern - once I get the Tudor would that slow down the Sub allocation since “I already got a watch.”

Would like to hear the communities thoughts on this.
Nads786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 05:54 AM   #2
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I imagine it would only help your situation, but I wouldn’t buy it unless I wanted it.
Also….if you’re spending $$ on the 58 and then more $$ when the sub shows up, why not just go grey for one now?
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 05:55 AM   #3
MrLemon
"TRF" Member

My friend, every AD is different. Only the owner can tell you when and how to be qualified in their store. Over the years, I hear numerous times that after lots of jewelry purchases, the AD loose their Rolex brand permit.
Also bb58 is not hot anymore, you can get it at discount price , only if you love it.
I have the blue one, it is lovely:)
MrLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:01 AM   #4
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Hi Nads, my opinion (since you asked) is that indeed buying it from the AD can’t hurt, but how much it will help is hard to say. If you want to buy the watch regardless, then I personally would probably grab one from my AD just to continue the spend while reminding them what you really want. I am currently on this track with the new Tudor opaline dial GMT; I told my SA if one comes in that’s available I’ll buy it while I’m waiting for my BLNR, and I don’t mind paying a little more to buy it brand new from the AD as opposed to on the secondary market even if it is available for less.

If you were buying the BB just to boost purchase history and you don’t want to keep it after you get the sub I would just go grey and get it done with now instead of throwing money at a maybe.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:04 AM   #5
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Yes it will help
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:07 AM   #6
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
As much as I love my sub date, I wouldn’t. Get an omega sea master 300 heritage and a datejust, great combo. Or just be patient and wait for the sub date, if will come in.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:08 AM   #7
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Any non-Rolex purchase helps. You must decide how much is worth it... just look at the delta between current grey price vs [MSRP+Tax], that should be your ceiling. And note that you're only buying the possibility of moving up the imaginary ladder, not a guarantee.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:22 AM   #8
Chaucer1787
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
+1.

I literally bought a $600.00 watch online from my AD’s web store and was allocated a stainless sub date a month later. I wouldn’t go crazy with things you don’t want, but if you have the funds and desire for other watches then, by all means, stick to that single AD. It will help and your name will then be in their system.

I do not believe buying a Tudor will “retard” the allocation wait time in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chaucer1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:23 AM   #9
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Great opinions so far. I would say this is not a buy to flip scenario. I love both watches and I can see wearing both depending on the day.

Here is my math:

Buy new Tudor for $4,100 and then a Sub Date for $10,800 + 9% tax = $11,500 total spend would be $15,600

Or buy used Tudor for $3,000 plus go grey for $13,000, total spend $16,000.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:24 AM   #10
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Can't hurt, but doesn't necessarily mean it will help. I purchased a BB58 at a new AD that I wanted to start a relationship with. Fast forward a year later, still crickets on a simple Explorer II
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:25 AM   #11
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
As much as I love my sub date, I wouldn’t. Get an omega sea master 300 heritage and a datejust, great combo. Or just be patient and wait for the sub date, if will come in.
Honestly as of now the only Rolex that interests me is a sub date. outside of Rolex Tudor has really caught my attention, everything else is that looks nice but I wouldn’t wear it after a week.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:27 AM   #12
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
I imagine it would only help your situation, but I wouldn’t buy it unless I wanted it.
Also….if you’re spending $$ on the 58 and then more $$ when the sub shows up, why not just go grey for one now?
I really want the AD in person experience. It’s a 40th birthday watch I don’t want it to be a faceless digital purchase that is forgettable. I’m being stubborn on this point I know and may need to change my mind if it gets closer to October.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:34 AM   #13
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
If you spent 13K on a ring and haven’t got a Sub yet I think something is wrong. Reach out to the S/A and remind them of the jewelry purchase.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:38 AM   #14
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Go grey and don't pay fealty to a jewelry store. Your delta is only $400 or so.

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 06:49 AM   #15
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstar View Post
If you spent 13K on a ring and haven’t got a Sub yet I think something is wrong. Reach out to the S/A and remind them of the jewelry purchase.
I think that’s been frustrating for me as well. I speak to my AD once a month over the phone and he assures me I’ll get the watch before my birthday but man October is a long way away.

2019 was also five years ago almost.
Old 5 July 2023, 06:49 AM   #16
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlesorusLEX View Post
Go grey and don't pay fealty to a jewelry store. Your delta is only $400 or so.

I’ve seen grey prices around 14-$15,000 on this forum. I haven’t seen the spread that thin.
Old 5 July 2023, 08:08 AM   #17
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Great opinions so far. I would say this is not a buy to flip scenario. I love both watches and I can see wearing both depending on the day.

Here is my math:

Buy new Tudor for $4,100 and then a Sub Date for $10,800 + 9% tax = $11,500 total spend would be $15,600

Or buy used Tudor for $3,000 plus go grey for $13,000, total spend $16,000.
Was referring to this delta, if you bought both. That's the way I'd go.

ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 08:10 AM   #18
Peter Toronto
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t play that game if I were you. It’s criminal what these AD’s are doing.

Peter Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 08:38 AM   #19
Law52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmmm
First, Tudor’s are nice watches at their price point. I’ve had a few over the years and used to be my daily wearer. In regards to whether it will help with getting the watch you desire, who knows, for every AD is different. Myself I’m a secondary market buyer. I’ll admit I have access to new pieces due to friends I’ve made in the industry, but since I favor pieces that aren’t in production anymore the secondary market really suites me. One of the biggies problems that I know based on actual facts, is the super VIP’s, who can walk into their favorite AD’s and walk out with watches. e.g. got a Batman two weeks ago due to the above. Some poor guy on the list at that AD will be waiting longer now because of the inside favors. What’s really sad is the guy didn’t want it but took it for his son, who just turned around and sold it to me.
Law52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 09:00 AM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The best approach is to ask the AD. Even if you can't get a straight answer it will still be a helpful pointer to your prospects.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 09:09 AM   #21
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
This is the question to answer. Add the consideration that once you have the Sub the BB will be redundant and rarely worn.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 09:14 AM   #22
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I think you could get a nice BB58 on bracelet for less than you stated, making the comparison about even. Good luck.

I bought a BB58 from an AD over a year ago and it hasn’t helped me get a call for a Rolex. If you buy low on a BB58, you can always sell low too if you change your mind on it. Mine is a keeper.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 09:55 AM   #23
Uned
"TRF" Member

It is only if you are lucky that you would be able to get a Rolex just by buying a Tudor. I don’t see it happening.
Old 5 July 2023, 10:03 AM   #24
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
FWIW, I think there are way too many variables involved to say if it would benefit your goal of getting a Submariner or not.

I personally went the route of purchasing the Submariner, the specific watch I wanted, elsewhere, and it was a better customer service experience than what I experienced with the ADs in my area.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 10:11 AM   #25
rpstrimple
"TRF" Member

Well I got a Pelagos 39 and now I’m not sure I even want a sub anymore lol. But I agree with others saying only buy it if you genuinely want the watch. Otherwise you are throwing money away because you will take a thrashing in the private market selling it.

Or you could go grey and probably come out just the same only with the sub you want.
rpstrimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 10:13 AM   #26
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
March isn't that long a wait.
I'd hold off...
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 10:58 AM   #27
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
This is the question to answer. Add the consideration that once you have the Sub the BB will be redundant and rarely worn.
That could be a concern - I still think I would wear a BB58 for days I want to have a low key watch with vintage vibes.
Old 5 July 2023, 11:08 AM   #28
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Amen to that. Having a BB58 blue and a 5 digit Sub, I think they pair well. Other than that, I would just go grey, like you suggest.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 11:09 AM   #29
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
There have been posts on this forum of guys who put money into that "relationship" and didn't get the Rolex. You don't want to come across as a cash cow because they will milk it for as much as they can. Sure, other purchases help, usually the only way, but it's also a gamble.

I would discuss with your SA, be polite, but also blunt about getting the Submariner and where a BB58 purchase places you in their priority list. That's what I did but with a moonwatch, I wanted the moonwatch anyway, they told me I could get a 126610LN whenever I wanted if I bought the moonwatch and they were true to their word. I bought the moonwatch, called back a few weeks later saying I wanted the 126610LN that weekend, and they said come pick it up. The kicker in my case, and likely yours, is the Submariner was in the safe the whole time.

Another option is to just buy a grey market Submariner and later sell it if the AD comes through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
This isn't true if you like the BB58 to begin with. I have and wear both.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2023, 11:13 AM   #30
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Toronto View Post
I wouldn’t play that game if I were you. It’s criminal what these AD’s are doing.

It’s true, I would have probably bought the BB58 anyways but likely used in 2024. They have pulled my purchase forward in time.