The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2022, 09:37 AM   #31
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

@sechsgang would love to hear the backstory too!

I think I'm going to have be be much more creative to decide what to do. Also didn't know they could customize all the way in the center. Thanks for the ideas!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 04:28 PM   #32
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Do they still do this?
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 10:05 PM   #33
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Yes, that is why I updated the thread for most up to date info.
Old 25 October 2022, 03:46 AM   #34
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Haha, thanks guys! So the story is a bit long, but the shortest version of it is that I drew a really crap tattoo for someone (Im not a tattoo artist, or an artist at all by any means), he got it then I drew a few more random/silly drawings figuring why not...and this one one of them. Thought it was fun enough to use as my little brand logo for things I designed/specced and I had stickers made of the dinosaur, but drew it inside a car thats somewhat known in the Porsche world (happy to expound later) and had the dopey idea to ask AP for a 15202ST with that dinosaur for the rotor as I now had a habit of putting this Dinosaur (its name is Derpy) in really high-end/interesting things to bring a bit of whimsy to them and figured that would fit right in on the back of what is AP's most "historic" modern watch as far as it went then...my rep from AP NYC fought for it and almost a year and a half later it got approved and we did the whole process which was absolutely amazing, and I have a pic of the guy working on my rotor in Switzerland which is just incredible...now that all spawned me to work on some collaborations with apparel companies and another higher end leather company to try and design some more interesting Derpy stuff, which you may end up seeing for sale ��. Sorry for the long text here with no formatting, just figured Id answer!
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 06:53 AM   #35
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Haha, thanks guys! So the story is a bit long, but the shortest version of it is that I drew a really crap tattoo for someone (Im not a tattoo artist, or an artist at all by any means), he got it then I drew a few more random/silly drawings figuring why not...and this one one of them. Thought it was fun enough to use as my little brand logo for things I designed/specced and I had stickers made of the dinosaur, but drew it inside a car thats somewhat known in the Porsche world (happy to expound later) and had the dopey idea to ask AP for a 15202ST with that dinosaur for the rotor as I now had a habit of putting this Dinosaur (its name is Derpy) in really high-end/interesting things to bring a bit of whimsy to them and figured that would fit right in on the back of what is AP's most "historic" modern watch as far as it went then...my rep from AP NYC fought for it and almost a year and a half later it got approved and we did the whole process which was absolutely amazing, and I have a pic of the guy working on my rotor in Switzerland which is just incredible...now that all spawned me to work on some collaborations with apparel companies and another higher end leather company to try and design some more interesting Derpy stuff, which you may end up seeing for sale ��. Sorry for the long text here with no formatting, just figured Id answer!
That is sincerely so incredibly cool!

Don't leave me hanging though. What's the Porsche connection and where else did Derpy go? Props on the creative success!
Old 25 October 2022, 07:08 AM   #36
Eight01
"TRF" Member

Rota looks great and the reasoning behind it is absolutely brilliant.... You say you're not an artist but this contradicts your statement. Great fun design on a model which is now taken too seriously in my view.
Eight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 07:13 AM   #37
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

For those that have done it, do you get 1 or 2 rotors?

I talked to AP about this ~1 year ago, and the rep explained that you actually get 2 rotors - first is the standard one that comes with the watch which would come as a spare part, and the second one would be the custom one installed on the watch. Which is why the price is ~$5k or so (varies on the watch and material of the rotor). But the rep is no longer with AP, so I never got around doing this and not sure if you get 1 or 2 rotors.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 09:46 PM   #38
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Meant to edit the post above, but this works lol.

Sweet. Love it.
Old 26 October 2022, 07:58 AM   #39
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
For those that have done it, do you get 1 or 2 rotors?

I talked to AP about this ~1 year ago, and the rep explained that you actually get 2 rotors - first is the standard one that comes with the watch which would come as a spare part, and the second one would be the custom one installed on the watch. Which is why the price is ~$5k or so (varies on the watch and material of the rotor). But the rep is no longer with AP, so I never got around doing this and not sure if you get 1 or 2 rotors.
Unfortunately APSC Clearwater kept the original rotor when my custom one delivered earlier this year.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2022, 07:59 AM   #40
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Amazing story! I wish I had a photo of them working on mine. How'd you score that??
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2022, 08:11 AM   #41
russ86
"TRF" Member

My cousin ordered himself a custom rotor. First of all, they dont offer that for every model, just for some. He paid around 8K for it and they also took away his original rotor. Took either 5 or 6 months from start to finish.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2022, 10:59 AM   #42
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
That is sincerely so incredibly cool!

Don't leave me hanging though. What's the Porsche connection and where else did Derpy go? Props on the creative success!

Its in my Singer Vehicle Design build (Its name is Sine Qua Non, you can google and you'll find it) and I drew it in the headlight bucket

To everyone else, thanks a lot! Hopefully you'll see more Derpy in fun places soon...we all need a little more silly with our serious ;).

And for those who asked, they keep the original rotor, and as far as how I got the pic of the guy working on my rotor, it was just sent to me by someone over there, I didnt ask!
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2022, 08:21 PM   #43
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Its in my Singer Vehicle Design build (Its name is Sine Qua Non, you can google and you'll find it) and I drew it in the headlight bucket

To everyone else, thanks a lot! Hopefully you'll see more Derpy in fun places soon...we all need a little more silly with our serious ;).

And for those who asked, they keep the original rotor, and as far as how I got the pic of the guy working on my rotor, it was just sent to me by someone over there, I didnt ask!

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 08:26 AM   #44
Mirek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 & 4100BA
I asked about customization at the Beverly Hills AD whist my 4100BA was in for service and they told me that this was the only option for customization, it was very expensive, and it was usually only done with the new stuff, but I could still request something while my 1984 Royal Oak was in service. Kinda neat.

My rotor is not exposed so I neglected to not do anything.
Mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 07:54 PM   #45
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
little dino featured on watchbox studios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luxr...atchBoxStudios
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 09:06 PM   #46
lucasalce
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know if rotor customisation is possible on the 16202?
lucasalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 09:26 PM   #47
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Cheaper to change my name to

Andrew Potter

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2023, 09:38 PM   #48
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasalce View Post
Does anyone know if rotor customisation is possible on the 16202?
My understanding from a recent conversation is `yes`. There was also talk of more customization options in the future.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote