The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2023, 11:23 PM   #31
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
My colleague and close friend is moving out of state to a new position. However, he is still needing to make a plan for how to “best” move his collection, which I didn’t know how to advise. I’m not sure what is meant by “best” but I figure meaning safest and most efficient. It’s not a huge collection, I believe containing 3 APs (which he values most) and ~10 Rolex and a couple other brand pieces (eg Kurono, Omega, etc). Regardless, I thought to seek the wisdom and experience of this forum, especially if anyone has been through a big move themselves.

The only obvious options I could see are:
1-taking it in a handbag on plane: but does the security X-ray machine pose any danger? And does he need to alert airport ahead of time lest they think them stolen pieces?

2-driving cross-country with the collection: although this seems very inconvenient, and I imagine safety issue if he has to spend the night at hotels instead of driving straight to destination (which is far).

Does anyone here have such experience and/or best practice recommendations?
Good question!

I've done a few international moves, so I don't know if it's exactly the same situation as your friend, but here are some suggestions:
A) Bring the watch and papers on carry-on. I've found that in most cases, boxes are replaceable but papers especially are hard to duplicate. Boxes can go with the rest of the shipment, and make sure they are well cushioned.
B) If possible, bring the original receipts as needed - I tend to have a photo record just in case.
C) in terms of storage, I like to keep everything extremely hard to get to for security screening of carry-on, my go to is to get a bunch of small anklet socks and put watches in each sock and get on of those Amazon cheap watch boxes. Then bury the watch box below some clothes or other things
D) and finally, I like to share to the screener that I have valuables in the carry on before screening, so they know in advance. That way you demonstrate an earnest showing of transparency and honesty.

One time during a one way international move, I was actually questioned and quarantined by customs - and thankfully, I had all paper documents with me. I also had proof of my move.

In the end, with that kind of collection I assume the individual has insurance, so hopefully they have comprehensive coverage. If they are driving they should never leave those watches out of sight!!!

Good luck,

Peter
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:21 AM   #32
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Take the papers with you in your knapsack on the plane, ship the boxes.
Haha, this makes me envision OP carrying a 6 figure watch collection like this :

dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 07:01 AM   #33
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
Good question!

I've done a few international moves, so I don't know if it's exactly the same situation as your friend, but here are some suggestions:
A) Bring the watch and papers on carry-on. I've found that in most cases, boxes are replaceable but papers especially are hard to duplicate. Boxes can go with the rest of the shipment, and make sure they are well cushioned.
B) If possible, bring the original receipts as needed - I tend to have a photo record just in case.
C) in terms of storage, I like to keep everything extremely hard to get to for security screening of carry-on, my go to is to get a bunch of small anklet socks and put watches in each sock and get on of those Amazon cheap watch boxes. Then bury the watch box below some clothes or other things
D) and finally, I like to share to the screener that I have valuables in the carry on before screening, so they know in advance. That way you demonstrate an earnest showing of transparency and honesty.

One time during a one way international move, I was actually questioned and quarantined by customs - and thankfully, I had all paper documents with me. I also had proof of my move.

In the end, with that kind of collection I assume the individual has insurance, so hopefully they have comprehensive coverage. If they are driving they should never leave those watches out of sight!!!

Good luck,

Peter
Very helpful, Peter, thanks. He was making a big production (I think) out of how to pack individual watches in carry on. The consensus is that since he’s traveling US domestic, there shouldn’t be drama when they see so many watches on x-ray.
But I don’t think it’s a big deal for him to keep the papers handy. By papers, I assume everyone means the warranty card/booklet.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 07:18 AM   #34
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Very helpful, Peter, thanks. He was making a big production (I think) out of how to pack individual watches in carry on. The consensus is that since he’s traveling US domestic, there shouldn’t be drama when they see so many watches on x-ray.
But I don’t think it’s a big deal for him to keep the papers handy. By papers, I assume everyone means the warranty card/booklet.

Unnecessary, and if I'm not mistaken by my interpretation of TSA's abilities, illegal. Just like an officer can't come up to you without cause and assume/question you as if you aren't the rightful owner of something, simply because it's valuable.

Unless you're saying to keep the papers simply to have in case a shipping/moving company lost them.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 09:17 AM   #35
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Papers are really brought with watch not to lose them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Unnecessary, and if I'm not mistaken by my interpretation of TSA's abilities, illegal. Just like an officer can't come up to you without cause and assume/question you as if you aren't the rightful owner of something, simply because it's valuable.

Unless you're saying to keep the papers simply to have in case a shipping/moving company lost them.
Just personal experience when you just have a ton of stuff in moving boxes, especially papers. I also like to hand carry anything that is incredibly difficult to replace and value from an insurance perspective.

Peter
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:16 PM   #36
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
Just personal experience when you just have a ton of stuff in moving boxes, especially papers. I also like to hand carry anything that is incredibly difficult to replace and value from an insurance perspective.
That's my rule as well - everything I really want to keep stays with me when traveling.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:23 PM   #37
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly, the idea being as Peter and Vogel saying that it can be hard/annoying to replace in case movers lose anything. But in speaking with him, he isn’t too concerned about that small possibility. The main advice he’s following is yours, which is that TSA won’t/can’t ask him for such papers, so thanks again for all the details you’ve provided.
Old 21 August 2023, 12:25 PM   #38
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha, this makes me envision OP carrying a 6 figure watch collection like this :

Good one! Traveling like this with a collection could go either way in terms of how conspicuous he is/isn’t!
Old 21 August 2023, 04:29 PM   #39
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would sell the APs and some of the Rolex that I don't wear - much less hassle
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 09:23 PM   #40
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
I never put anything that valuable in checked luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote