The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2023, 05:44 AM   #1
TheAmazingMrZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16613
AR Crystal on 5 digit submariner (16613)

Just wanted to share some pics of an AR coated crystal I put on my 16613 (P serial, 2000).

I’ve used Clark acrylic crystals many times on my vintage Datejust’s and I’ve always been impressed with their quality. I wanted to give their sapphire crystal a try since the original one on my 16613 always seemed smudgy/not clear especially when compared to my father’s Y serial 16613. I’m really impressed with just how legible the dial text is now and the dial just seams to POP! This crystal has a light AR coating on the bottom of the entire crystal. Below are some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5023.jpeg (125.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5024.jpeg (156.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5027.jpeg (178.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5134.jpeg (158.3 KB, 127 views)
TheAmazingMrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:04 AM   #2
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Looks great. I read on TRF that RSC are now putting AR glass in some 5 digit GMTs. IMG going right now to pick up my 126710BLNR that I dropped off to get new AR installed. $247 to get installed.
I have my 16610LV on today and would love to do this update but have everything on this watch factory original and on the fence to do it. Some talk me into it
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:06 AM   #3
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrebl View Post
Looks great. I read on TRF that RSC are now putting AR glass in some 5 digit GMTs. IMG going right now to pick up my 126710BLNR that I dropped off to get new AR installed. $247 to get installed.
I have my 16610LV on today and would love to do this update but have everything on this watch factory original and on the fence to do it. Some talk me into it
They put an AR crystal on my 20 year old 16570, the cyclops before looked like it had a cataract.
Old 22 August 2023, 07:44 AM   #4
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
They put an AR crystal on my 20 year old 16570, the cyclops before looked like it had a cataract.
AR date only or the whole under dial? Nevermind. RSC said date AR only. They would never Frankenstein a watch with parts that didn’t match the generation. Her worlds!
Old 22 August 2023, 08:24 AM   #5
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrebl View Post
AR date only or the whole under dial? Nevermind. RSC said date AR only. They would never Frankenstein a watch with parts that didn’t match the generation. Her worlds!
Not true, my AD that did the work said they couldn't just do the cyclops so they replaced the entire crystal which is AR coated. What the lady told you doesn't make sense, installing an AR cyclops would make it a 'Frankenstein', would it not?
Old 22 August 2023, 03:01 PM   #6
928ktgold

Quote:
Not true, my AD that did the work said they couldn't just do the cyclops so they replaced the entire crystal which is AR coated. What the lady told you doesn't make sense, installing an AR cyclops would make it a 'Frankenstein', would it not?
This 5 digit reference eventually got AR cyclops only in later years so they can retrofit a new crystal with AR on the cyclops. It was never offered with the whole dial with AR so she made it seem that their new parts wouldn’t have the whole crystal with AR. She could be wrong though. I’m very curious to know otherwise. Does your laser etched crown on the glass have the double circles at the bottom of the crown? If so then it’s fully AR coated and not just the date.
Old 22 August 2023, 03:04 PM   #7
928ktgold

Quote:
They would replace the entire crystal since they don’t do just the cyclops obviously. But these older reference replacement dials seem to only have the AR on the date. Check the LEC