The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 August 2023, 03:05 AM   #31
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
One more move by Rolex to control the market and move their brand upwards and more exclusive.

One of the ripple effects will be the consumer seeing less chance of getting a watch at a AD and grey market supply will somewhat be cut driving prices upwards again.
I agree with this.

IMHO, Rolex will NEVER allow it's brand to look like it did 10yrs ago ever again.

Cases FULL of multiples of the same reference, Grey market sellers moving fully stickered product @ 20% off straight from the AD to the consumer

Pre-owned Watches (yes, including the SS Daytona) selling far below retail.

PM and TT watches getting substantial DISCOUNTS from the AD to sell them.

Pre owned PM models being offered for 40% off retail?

That simply won't be the case again. That kind of brand erosion is for Omega and the other guys to present to the market. NOT Rolex.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:06 AM   #32
TheDogHouse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR581 View Post
Say "Bye Bye" to your mom n pop AD. Especially in the Philly area. There is a Bucherer in KoP Mall.
Wonder how this will affect Benari. They are building a new store and apparently it is to meet Rolex’s demand of a larger brand footprint.
TheDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:07 AM   #33
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
Well that margin has to pay for staff, premises, new goods etc so its not like its 100% profit but yea, they'll become even richer lol.

Hope this puts an end to the AD corruption and nepotism, and all the family owned ADs get nose bleeds from reading this... So much corruption in this industry its insane.
Yes - they essentially bought revenue, which would hold true even without the pre-owned business. I have to imagine adding pre-owed is only accretive as they likely don't need add much more (if any) headcount.

Agreed on the overall impact to ADs - if Rolex ultimately controls these ADs I presume there will be increased scrutiny around who they sell watches to.

Since we are already halfway down the rabbit hole, remember that while Rolex SA doesn't track ownership, the ADs do. And now, Rolex owns the AD...
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:07 AM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Saw that from a mile away. Been saying for years they should cut out retailers whom provide almost no value and don’t offer a uniformly good customer experience. The only surprising thing is that Patek hasn’t done it.

That said they likely cannot sell 1M watches through 100 outlets so it’s not a flat line for third party retailers.
Old 25 August 2023, 03:09 AM   #35
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

Wow!! I can see why there were so many AD’s losing their status now. What a move by Rolex. This will completely change the dynamic. Will wait lists and registered interest lists still be a thing at Bucherer?… or will they more transparent like AP.

AP will straight up tell you, you’re waiting 2 years etc.
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:11 AM   #36
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikee View Post
Wow!! I can see why there were so many AD’s losing their status now. What a move by Rolex. This will completely change the dynamic. Will wait lists and registered interest lists still be a thing at Bucherer?… or will they more transparent like AP.

Clearly calculated move long in the making since they were the first to carry pre-owned and bought Torneau.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:12 AM   #37
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogHouse View Post
Wonder how this will affect Benari. They are building a new store and apparently it is to meet Rolex’s demand of a larger brand footprint.
I know what you mean.
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:14 AM   #38
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Doesn't Bucherer produce it's own line of luxury watches? How will those watches be positioned market wise if they are now under Rolex? Does Rolex fold Bucherer into the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation or spin off/sell Bucherer?
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:14 AM   #39
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikee View Post

I think it's really up to the honesty and ethics of the Bucherer sales staff.

To sum it up their staff is horse sh*$
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:14 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Watch they start pumping out more limited watches like the lemans 100 and they only go to Rolex owned locations. Much like AP did before slowly killing off their 3rd party retailers. I hope not.
Old 25 August 2023, 03:16 AM   #41
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I agree with this.

IMHO, Rolex will NEVER allow it's brand to look like it did 10yrs ago ever again.

Cases FULL of multiples of the same reference, Grey market sellers moving fully stickered product @ 20% off straight from the AD to the consumer

That simply won't be the case again. That kind of brand erosion is for Omega and the other guys to present to the market. NOT Rolex.

As long as they have independent ADs it will happen again if there is an economic downturn or watches fall out of fashion.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:17 AM   #42
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Wow that’s crazy big industry news! I wonder what the regulators in different countries will decide with regards to this being declared a potential monopoly. If it all goes through, it could be good for us actual enthusiasts though because then there might be tighter oversight on how watches get allocated, less “out the back door” etc.

A potential monopoly? Lol. What on “rolex products “?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:20 AM   #43
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Saw that from a mile away. Been saying for years they should cut out retailers whom provide almost no value and don’t offer a uniformly good customer experience. The only surprising thing is that Patek hasn’t done it.

That said they likely cannot sell 1M watches through 100 outlets so it’s not a flat line for third party retailers.
Unless Rolex uses it's cash to open more Bucherer, Rolex only, boutiques. This will allow them to do that in a controlled manner direct from Rolex HQ.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:20 AM   #44
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Wow that’s crazy big industry news! I wonder what the regulators in different countries will decide with regards to this being declared a potential monopoly. If it all goes through, it could be good for us actual enthusiasts though because then there might be tighter oversight on how watches get allocated, less “out the back door” etc.

I don’t see the monopoly point… that doesn’t make any sense. Agree with everything else though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:21 AM   #45
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Big news and in typically amazing Rolex fashion, not even a whisper of this prior to the deal being announced officially.
Old 25 August 2023, 03:22 AM   #46
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I agree with this.

If the market has said anything over the years, it's that no one company, no one country.....no organization of countries even, can ever fight the market.

It's happened time and time again. From the English Pound to the housing market, you can't fight it as much as you try.

So to say never again.....it's just not true. It never has been true.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:31 AM   #47
redtigers
"TRF" Member

Between this and the AP release today I had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April...

Looking forward to the press release for a glimpse into Rolex's thought process
redtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:32 AM   #48
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
If the market has said anything over the years, it's that no one company, no one country.....no organization of countries even, can ever fight the market.

It's happened time and time again. From the English Pound to the housing market, you can't fight it as much as you try.

So to say never again.....it's just not true. It never has been true.
Of course, Barring a worldwide calamity that will make watches completely irrelevant....

"It's NOT Happening". These are the moves that STRONG brands make to control their position and outcomes.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:36 AM   #49
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

With the purchase of Bucherer, will that mean we'll see CPO at Tourneau locations?

Also I assume Rolex will have access to the database of clients info, "waitlists", and further control of inventory.
cy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:39 AM   #50
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
We shouldn’t be surprise
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:39 AM   #51
malba2366
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Unless they start selling watches online. Bucherer has the infrastructure in place to do this.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:40 AM   #52
stephentross

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
It also ensures they maintain control and exclusivity.
stephentross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:41 AM   #53
RKunz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs Fan View Post
So many comments have been made about Rolex not wanting to be in the retail business.
They sell everything they make to retailers and take none of the retail sales risk.
Well, if this is true, they are now in it in a big way.
That’s the truth! They’ve been preparing to sell from factory to the end user.
RKunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:44 AM   #54
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Bucherer was on the market, so it is a good strategic move for Rolex to pick it up rather than one of the luxury brand megaliths.

It will likely be set up as a subsidiary or separate entity, much like the Watchmakers Technicum, Tudor or Rolex USA, Sellita (now Kenissi), Bergeon tooling, and all the other horological enterprises Rolex owns.

There won't even be a hiccup in the Watch-O-Sphere.
Old 25 August 2023, 03:47 AM   #55
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Added benefit, the customer data is now Rolex's.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:48 AM   #56
HMHM
"TRF" Member

My predictions are that Rolex will eventually cut production from the current 1-1.2m to approx 750-800k per year and elevate the status of their watches towards AP and Patek Philippe. The purchase of Bucherer is part of the parcel to have some control of distribution like Patek, with some manufacturer owned and some AD owned. Tudor will take the current position of Rolex to compete against Omega and Tag. As Rolex reduce production, staff will be trained to improve finishing, hence the move to open case back for models like the Platinum Daytona and the 1908. We will see better finishing from Rolex going forward to justify their position against AP and Patek.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:48 AM   #57
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

What about other brands, like Cartier, VC, and JLC, which are carried at Bucherer? Surely they'll pull their brands out, right?
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:50 AM   #58
Corvette
"TRF" Member

Curious how it’ll effect the allocation of sought-after models like the Daytona, Pepsi, etc. Will other AD’s have their allocations cut drastically so Rolex can control exactly who they want to be allocated a Pepsi or Panda? Hope not but it would shock me.
Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:51 AM   #59
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogHouse View Post
Was wondering the same (I'm in West Chester PA). Benari Exton is my AD. And the Bucherer store in KOP mall is huge.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2023, 03:52 AM   #60
stephentross

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
My predictions are that Rolex will eventually cut production from the current 1-1.2m to approx 750-800k per year and elevate the status of their watches towards AP and Patek Philippe. The purchase of Bucherer is part of the parcel to have some control of distribution like Patek, with some manufacturer owned and some AD owned. Tudor will take the current position of Rolex to compete against Omega and Tag. As Rolex reduce production, staff will be trained to improve finishing, hence the move to open case back for models like the Platinum Daytona and the 1908. We will see better finishing from Rolex going forward to justify their position against AP and Patek.
Exactly this. When you don't have a publicly traded company you can do what you want to do. There is a reason you walk into an Omega Boutique and the only question asked is how will you be paying. Vs. Rolex who is maintaining that exclusivity with waitlists and cutting production to do so. Rolex has a master plan and rising prices will occur. They are not doing this to cut prices or become more affordable. This is for better fit and finish and Raising the bar.
stephentross is offline   Reply With Quote